Is eating less than 1200 calories unhealthy?

Options
I always thought eating too little would result in negative effects and no weight loss.
But I was advised to recalculate my calorie intake for weight loss for my current weight.
I started at 1200 calories when i begun my weight loss, then the last couple of months stopped losing weight so it was suggested that I needed less calories to eat.
The new calorie amount to lose 2lb a week is 886 calories. Is this too little to eat and I should stick to 1200, or is this okay? - it was calculated properly, not just a figure I plucked from thin air!

I am 5 ft 10, currently weighing 11 stone 5 pounds (about 159 pounds)

Thanks!

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Don't go for 2lbs/week and you'll get more calories. Try a pound or half a pound a week and see what you get. :)

Where matters of your health are concerned, you should ask your doctor. It's unlikely that he will recommend 800-900 calories a day. But go find out.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    How much weight are you trying to lose in total?

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Too low without supervision from a doctor.
    You also should probably be aiming for 1 lb per week loss since you really don't have a lot to lose. When you have little to lose, you risk more lbm loss if your deficit is too high.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I always thought eating too little would result in negative effects and no weight loss.
    But I was advised to recalculate my calorie intake for weight loss for my current weight.
    I started at 1200 calories when i begun my weight loss, then the last couple of months stopped losing weight so it was suggested that I needed less calories to eat.
    The new calorie amount to lose 2lb a week is 886 calories. Is this too little to eat and I should stick to 1200, or is this okay? - it was calculated properly, not just a figure I plucked from thin air!

Thanks!

It's very, very difficult to get appropriate nutrition at less than 1000 calories per day for a normal adult. Fitting in enough protein and fat as well as all the micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) your body needs to work properly is pretty near impossible when you're consuming that little, and eating so little consistently (over weeks/months rather than a day here or there) without close medical supervision is going to mean likely deficiencies as well as losing lean body mass (muscle) along with fat as your body struggles to keep functioning properly.

This is why 2 lbs/week is too much weight loss for many people, because if you're already at a relatively lower weight you just have to drop your intake too low to achieve it. Try recalculating at 1 pound per week loss and give your body a little more food to work with.

EDITED TO ADD: You WILL lose weight if you eat too little (that "starvation mode" thing where people claim if you "eat too little" your body holds onto calories is a myth), it's just not ideal for your body.
  • lindsey0724
    lindsey0724 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    From my research, that's wayy too little. It really isn't healthy or beneficial to eat below 1200, as it'll just harm your body in the long-term. Sometimes losing 2lbs per week is just too intense on the body as well. Seeing that you only weigh 159lbs, it would probably be better to adjust to 1lb loss per week. Additionally, if you're exercising regularly, it could be beneficial to actually increase your calorie count (I know it seems counter-intuitive!). But I stalled at eating 1300, upped my calories to nearly 1700 with mostly lean protein/veggies/complex carbs to supplement my workouts, and started losing weight again. Less isn't always better. Try scooby's calculator to see what estimates it gives you for your height/weight.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'd think it would be extremely hard to get all the necessary nutrients your body needs to function properly only 886 calories a day.

What you probably should work on before drastically slashing calories is making your logging more accurate so you're actually eating only 1200 (or even a bit more than that would probably be okay.).
  • mousie1973
    mousie1973 Posts: 438 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    according to RUSH medical center - you are at a NORMAL weight... normal weight is 132-173 pounds... I would not go lower than the 1200, it is not healthy.
  • josiebanks18
    josiebanks18 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thankyou all for the advice! you all seem to be coming from the same point of view, I will recalculate my calories to lose 1lb a week and see what I get!
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Eating < 1200/day for a female is considered at risk and potentially unhealthy, if not monitored by a medical professional.

Since your already in what is considered the healthy BMI range, you shouldnt be looking to lose more than 1 lb./week at most, and 0.5 lb./week is the typical recommendation.
  • josiebanks18
    Options
    1,386 calories is what I have to eat to lose 1lb a week, I currently don't do much exercise, I do hike about once a week that's it.
    That is obviously more than the 1200 I started on, do you all think i will have more success with this new amount?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    1,386 calories is what I have to eat to lose 1lb a week, I currently don't do much exercise, I do hike about once a week that's it.
    That is obviously more than the 1200 I started on, do you all think i will have more success with this new amount?

How are you determining how many calories you eat?
    Are you using a food scale?
    Are you using entries that are labeled as "Generic" or "Homemade" from the database?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    How much weight are you trying to lose in total?

20 Pounds to go........2 pounds a week is waaay to aggressive

Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range

Is under eating unhealthy? Yes, because your body is using calories 24/7. Your heart, lungs, kidneys will get the fuel somewhere....catabolize existing lean muscle mass, stop fueling non-necessities (hair, nails).....etc.
  • josiebanks18
    Options

Are you using entries that are labeled as "Generic" or "Homemade" from the database?

I use a digital scale to weigh everything out, I usually scan the packaging or if there isn't any, find the closest match through the search
  • marvellsxx
    marvellsxx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Premade meals are pretty good try Pot O Gold make a simple diet plan follow it for 12 weeks done. Ps i used to eat about 1000 a day and i felt suicidal but *kitten* works man. now that im cutting im not going above 1600 cal but thats just me
  • lindsey0724
    lindsey0724 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    1,386 definitely sounds more reasonable!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You may lose slower, but you won't go berserk from hunger. And losing slower is still losing!! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Thanks!

that means that 2 Lbs per week for you is too fast...

providing your body with too little energy (calories) can; 1. make it difficult to actually get proper nutrition and 2. leads to other negative things like hair falling out, periods going missing, nails turning brittle, etc....not everything has to do with weight management...some things are simply about health.
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    1200 is way too aggressive for you. You are too tall, too young, and too light to warrant it. Aim a few hundred calories higher at least. Your goals should not be more than 1lb per week and 0.5 might be better.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options

A lot of vegetables aren't named like Generic raw red pepper that has the correct USDA information listed is ok to use. I use generic peppers, bananas, grapes stuff like that.

If you're going to use a generic listing double check the nutritional information is correct before adding it for your day.

But never use 'homemade'. I can't imagine the calorie count is correct and there is no way to know what the user intended when they entered it.

Homemade - nachos Serving size 1 plate Really?

You will never be accurate using those entries.