Water Question

Options
I have a 1 Liter water bottle that i fill up several times up a day with water (about 5 or 6) and i was wondering if you could ever drink TOO much water.

Replies

• ChristianGal
    ChristianGal Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you are eating healthy and getting all your nutrients you will be fine! I have heard of a few cases where someone was trying to win a contest by drinking as much water as they could in a short period of time and it didnt have a good outcome..but what you are talking about is great! Flushes all the toxins and fat out ...keep up the great work!!!!
  • mrsw510
    mrsw510 Posts: 169
    Options
    yes, you can drink too much water but it has to be an EXTREME amount. Much more that what you are drinking..
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Remember that lady in the news who was on a radio contest and died from too much water, but she gulped down like 10 gallons or something! You're safe!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    As long as you pee, you should be fine... and as long as it's not allll at once, like the people doing contests.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Here's a link that talks about it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    water intoxication does happen. adults are usually athletes who go over a gallon and don't replace electrolytes. he's some specific info for you: http://metabolic-disorders.suite101.com/article.cfm/dangers_of_drinking_water
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    Yes you can drink too much water.

Not only in the short term can you get water poisoning - which is not fun!

but as a chronic condition it can lead to nutrient deficiencies

trust me.

I was a bit worse than you around the 8-9 mark, atm about 6 is my usual (Litres)

but I've had to increase the sodium in my diet, I'm on a multi and I've been told 3-4 unless I'm doing LOTS of manual labour/exercise.

So watch it. And if this has been going on for a while make sure your both a) getting all the nutrients you need ans b) not removing them all from your body.,

Just remember that like everything else how much water you need a day depends upon the size of your body.

So the numbers I just quoted are for me, they may not be correct for you. 5-6 could be a healty upper limit for you if your bigger than me. It could also be as bad for you as 8-9 was for me.

So I'd go find the mls of water per kg. body weight formula, and if your drinking much about what it says you should go get a blood test.
  • mrspyle
    mrspyle Posts: 19
    Options
    Remember that lady in the news who was on a radio contest and died from too much water, but she gulped down like 10 gallons or something! You're safe!

Sadly yes, she was actually pregnant and drank 1 gallon in an hour...ouch..that happened where i live
  • jlrolland
    jlrolland Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi, I'm Jen. I've never heard of this mls of water to kgs for how much water you should be drinking. Could you let me know what it is or where to find it?

Thanks, Jen
  • jer2kat
    jer2kat Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Jen. I've never heard of this mls of water to kgs for how much water you should be drinking. Could you let me know what it is or where to find it?

Thanks, Jen

You should be drink 1/2 to 1 oz of water per pound of body weight. If you are pretty sedentary and don't live in extremely dry climates you should aim for the 1/2 oz mark and if you are really active or live in dry climates you should aim for the 1oz mark. So as an example I currently weight 219 lb so I should be drinking between 110 and 219 oz of water which is about 3.5 qts and 7 qts of water spread out throughout the day.
  • ThumperWabbt
    ThumperWabbt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have a 1 Liter water bottle that i fill up several times up a day with water (about 5 or 6) and i was wondering if you could ever drink TOO much water.

Yes, you can drink too much, and 6 liters is 3 times what most people need to drink in a day.

Consider 2 liters the baseline; more if you're working out hard enough to sweat off more, but on average, 2 liters is what you need.

Check your urine; if it's pale yellow or clear, you're drinking enough, and drinking more is pointless--drink too much and you throw off your electrolytes.

If you're actually thirsty enough to drink 5-6 liters a day, see a doctor. That's pretty much what told my doc I had a pituitary tumor...