MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I carry a pocket scale with me when I go out to eat. I have no qualms about using it. I've been told by a few MFPers that I have disordered eating because of it, but these same people also tout weigh and measure all food. Apparently, you're only supposed to do that in the privacy of your own home.

It's up to you if you want to use one in public. If you don't, you can go by eating half of what is served to you or only take half of what you'd usually take. For me, unless it's a food I'm wanting, I'll just not eat.

I don't think that is anything to be ashamed of, but it isn't really all that practical. At home you know the ingredients, how they were cooked,etc. when you are out and about you don't know what is in the sauce, how it was cooked etc. so the weight doesn't mean quite as much.

It's not any more impractical than doing it at home. Only problem I have is getting enough light to shine on the digital screen so I can read it. No, I don't know how things were cooked (unless I know someone who works in the kitchen and can ask), but that doesn't nullify the nutrition listed on the website. It's a better guess using the nutritional info which usually has a weight in grams, than going by eating half and taking the rest home.

You're going along the same route as the MFPers who say I have disordered eating. They want me to weigh and measure everything I eat and when I do, I have disordered eating, but when I don't, I'm eating more than I think.
    catch22-finaledit-1.jpg

you are missing the point…since you don't know the ingredients said restaurant uses your logging is going to be inaccurate anyway, so brining a food scale out to dinner is counter productive and not necessary.
    So I should just chuck it when I go out to eat and eat the meal despite it taking me over calories just because I don't know how the cooks cooked the food? Does this mean I have your approval to eat whatever I want in the amounts I want when I go out to eat because I don't know what's in my meal (and none of that finger-wagging at me for not weighing/measuring all my food)?
    Really-Gif.gif

Yeah I don't see how this is that different from weighing fast food or weighing or accepting the nutritional info on a box dinner. You weren't there when they prepared those, you technically don't know what all is in it. The fast food teenager might have added a little here and a little there to the food but we can still weigh the chicken strips, fries, etc according to the website's stated calories per unit mass

*shrug*. The suggestion to weigh restaurant food if you really feel the need to is in the Calorie Counting 101 guide anyway, so there :bigsmile:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

those of us commentating on eating out at a "restaurant" are referring to non chains where they actually use different ingredients to build their meals. So yea, you can use the mcdonalds web site entry and weigh it, or you can just log the mcdonald entry as one cheeseburger < at the end of the day we are talking about an approximate 5% difference between using one cheeseburger and weighing said cheeseburger to get the exact weight….

However, in a restaurant if you weight it as 8 ounce filet, but they prepared it in x amount of butter, sauce, etc, you are still going to be off.

Again, to each their own…some of us are just saying that you don't need to be 100% strict all the time, and this will make thins easier in the long run, rather then worrying about accurately measuring every last bit of food.

The person quoted here said she's using the website's nutritional info

But to your point about mom and pop locations, or for instance me just weighing some food items say from the work cafeteria. It's sad but if I see vegetables swimming in oil I won't order it with lunch. If I want veg so bad I can bring some from home and steam it or add a controlled amount of oil/butter to it. Certain other items though like I mentioned will tend to be close to the database entry due to minimal variations in preparation (how many ways to grill a chicken breast?), and weighing could be useful even without nutritional info being listed at the point of purchase or website

Some of you have mentioned frequency, and I think that's an important aspect. If by choice or circumstance, you eat a lot of meals out, then all you can do is use whatever tools you have at your disposal to be as accurate as you can/want. If restaurant meals seldom happen, then it's probably not worth it to sweat it at all. Really depends on their specific individual and their situation, I think!
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    It's your decision. Personally I leave it at home as it feels weird to be doing something like that in public.

Yes. Without a doubt. OP; please be normal.
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I don't weigh anything but I definitely log at restaurants as soon as my plate arrives and try to make my best guess. I'm also hesitant to eat anywhere that doesn't have nutritional info available. If I have no clue what I'm eating, I'm not eating it.

Lame as it sounds, I prefer Applebee's if we just go out for a quick family dinner. They seem pretty conscientious about how they figure calories for their heart healthy dinners. (and their cedar plank salmon is freaking delicious). Chili's has really good fish tacos and complete nutritional info as well.

Yes, they're lame-o chains but their portions are standardized so you're probably eating fairly close to what they list.

PS: I also like pre-logging my meals out so that when we get to the restaurant I know exactly what I'm going to order and can just enjoy my meal without having to get my iPhone out and log all the food. Much more pleasant that way.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything I can, and guesstimate what I cant.
    When I go out to eat, which is rare, then I pick the item in the database with the higher calories which is closest to what I'm eating, and be done with it.
    If I whipped out a food scale when I was out to dinner with my hubby, he'd leave me there and move to another table lol