Where's the sugar coming from?

cp318
cp318 Posts: 11 Member
Hi everyone. I'm new here, and I've changed my diet and added exercise but this app is telling me I'm still ingesting to much sugar....
I'm not sure where it's coming from

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    We can't see your diary as it isn't set to public. Add sugar to the displayed nutrients and it should be clear. Diary / Settings
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Your food diary will tell you the sugar content of any individual item.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Well look at your diary - look for the entries with sugar. Your shakes have a lot.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Looking at your diary, it's all in the meal replacement shakes. At around 25-30g of sugar each, that's what's putting you over the top. Maybe consider switching brands (check the nutrition label for sugar content) or just foregoing the shakes in favor of "real food."
  • J383
    J383 Posts: 4,573 Member
    Get very familiar with food LABELS. I read every label before ever purchasing/eating anything.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Where is the food in your diet?
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Yes. I have to agree..the shakes are a 'solution" but ALL processed foods, even bread, these days, has one of 3 kinds of sugar, and salts added, especially diet sodas with 3 sodiums to keep you thirsty.

You can make your own shakes with a blender, some unsweet vanilla almond milk, a quality protein powder, some blueberries.. add spinach to thicken ( the taste disappears) and have a really nutritious shake with NO added sugars or dyes and fillers. ( use Stevia, Truvia, or other calorie free sweetener..and save money too.
    (many whey protein powders are LOADED with fillers and additives…invest in a better quality one)

I had to give up "power Bars" as it had 7 protein, BUT 25 gr of sugar!!! and the DAILYT recommendation for adults is NOT to go over 20 gr the whole day!! hard to do on the standard AMerican diet, right?

also,you didnt ask, but <1000 calories is way too low for an adult, and may slow loss as your body sees 'starvation'mode, and stops fat barbing to protect itself. you CAN lose on 500 calories diets, but not for long, and it makes it harder to ever get out of stall mode.
  • cp318
    I'm having trouble consuming 1200 calories, I don't eat " food " in the am cause it makes me ill with my medication.

I just started the meal replacement shake today and my coach questioned me on where all the sugar came from.

• cp318
    And I have celiac disease so I am very careful with what I do eat
  • cp318
    I believe I've set the diary so you all can see it now. Please let me know if that's not the case.
  • freak4iron
    freak4iron Posts: 995 Member
    Are trying to loose weight or something? Meal replacement shakes are for GAINING weight. They're a way to supplement calories in form of liquid, on top of your meals. You shouldn't actually use them as a meal IMO . If your looking for a protein supplement for loosing weight then get plain whey or low carb whey protein shake mix, it'll be sweetened with something other than sugar?
  • freak4iron
    I just went through the few days you had on your food diary. If you logged everything you ate then all I have to say: what the hell are you thinking? Are you even eating or are you just trying to starve yourself? SMH this is why so many people are Unsuccessful. If you want to loose weight great but do it in a healthy manner please!
  • cp318
    Sometimes I'm just not hungry. Even when I am active. And the days that show inactivity are days I had trouble with my pacer app.
    I'm not a big eater. And I'm using the meal supplement because it's faster then always having to make food on the stove, cause I haven't found quick GF food.

:-S I hate food. :-(
  • freak4iron
    If you learn to have a (healthy) love for food I think you will find it easier to be successful. Quick is almost never better in this department. Weight loss, muscle gain... It's almost always a slow and steady process.

I think you'd see better results if you put more time I to preparing healthy meals and exerce... Infact I guarntee you will see better results.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I'm a celiac too, and i'm afraid you are missing out on a lot of good GF foods. All fruits, veggies and nuts are GF, unless packaged in a facility that handles gluten (often a problem with nuts). Meats are GF unless you buy only the processed ones and even then, most are GF. Just watch out for sausages, pre-made meatballs and such, and some bacons.

Starches are often where you run into problems when eating GF, but there are still many out there like rice, quinoa, potatoes, GF noodles and breads. I prefer making foods with coconut flour because of its nutritional content, almond flour is great too, but there are many GF flours out there that you can substitute cup for cup with regular wheat flour.

Are you pretty new to the celiac diagnosis? It's pretty common to be overwhelmed at first and find it tough to find new foods when you are still so tired and sick, and sad by the loss of some favourite foods. I think you do need to make an effort to get more real foods into your diet. the micronutrients in veggies and fruit, and the protein in meats will help you heal faster. You need to take care of yourself or recovery will take longer than it should, and it already seems to be too long for most of us.

I too would suggest ditching the shakes. They aren't good. Buy some nuts and dried fruits and make yourself trail mix to eat when you aren't hungry. Buy a hummus dip for pre cut veggies. Get yourself some meats like roasted chicken breasts, breakfast sausages or something. Your protein is pretty low. And don't shy away from fats; if you don't feel like eating a lot, a cup of nuts will fill you up well.

Try the celiac. com forums. They have coping forums, recipe forums and all sorts of help for you while trying to get used to eating differently. It might help.

Best wishes.
  • cp318
    I've been Celiac for 5yrs. It's getting easier, but when I first became gf there was next to no help, and even now though almost everything is to expensive for me. So I buy the bare minimum that I need to survive. I'm the only one in my household who is gf, and spending $300/mth on food that only I can eat is ludicrous.

As it stands right now, I'm saving so I can purchase all the ingredients I need to make veggie & quinoa patties again.

Everything here (Canada) that's GF is to costly.

:-(
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Feel free to add me if you want to see my GF entries. Not all of them are exciting, but the bulk are cheap. GF oats set me back the most, but I do love granola on my yogurt!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    OP, you talk like you just don't eat, feel like eating, or are able to eat. Yet, you want to lose 65 pounds. Something doesn't seem right here.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    OP, how is one serving of steak and potatoes 187 calories? Did you weigh that out?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I suspect @cp318 hates cooking almost as much as eating. Unprocessed foods won't have gluten. As long as you avoid the specialty aisles you can eat fairly cheaply. I suggest cooking in batches and freezing the leftovers for later. Interesting food may be more attractive if you have a variety to choose from.

Lots of packaged foods have sugar added.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    OP if you hate food, how did you become overweight in the first place?
  • cp318
    I cook everything from scratch.
    And if the calories don't add up, its this app, cause I'm not putting in the calorie amount, just the serving and weight.

FYI I hate eating because it's difficult to get what I'm supposed to get on a gf diet.

If you look at today for example, I'm still behind on my calorie intake, but have ingested a fair bit.

If you're just going to be critical and opinionated without seeing what's going on, you can keep your rude comments to yourself thx.

I'm looking for help, if I wanted some one to bash / belittle me, I'd still be married.

Thx but no thx.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    oh snap
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    OP, how is one serving of steak and potatoes 187 calories? Did you weigh that out?

I thought that was add too. I was making mashed potatoes earlier for someone that just had teeth pulled. I tasted of them a couple of times to make sure that I had enough salt in them (I eat low sodium so I am never sure). I didn't weigh those bites so I just did a quick add of a 100 calories for those couple of bites that I had. Most beef is close to 200 calories for a 4oz serving.

OP...I don't have celiac nor am I gluten intolerant but most things that I buy are gluten free and believe me...I shop on a budget.

You might be the only one in your house that needs gluten free but why can't they eat some of the foods that you can eat. It won't hurt them to adapt to your dietary needs. I cook low sodium...my son has learned to adapt to that...if he wants additional sodium...he can add it after it is cooked.

If you have special dietary needs...you have to learn to cook...there is no way around it. Being low sodium means that I have to center my meals around fresh produce and lean meats.

• Annie_01
    OP...here is a list of gluten free foods...many foods on the list are relatively inexpensive.

Complete List of Gluten Free Food

Fruit

Fruit is free of gluten in its natural state. Be sure to clean all produce throughly before using

Acai
    Apples
    Apricot
    Bananas
    Blackberries
    Blueberries
    Cantaloupe
    Carob
    Cherry
    Cranberries
    Currants
    Dates
    Figs
    Grapes
    Guava
    Honeydew Melon
    Kiwi
    Kumquat
    Lemons
    Limes
    Mandarian
    Mangoes
    Oranges
    Papaya
    Passion Fruit
    Peaches
    Pears
    Pineapples
    Plantains
    Plums
    Persimmons
    Quince
    Raspberries
    Strawberries
    Tamarind
    Tangerines
    Watermelons

Vegetables

Vegetables are also naturally free of gluten

Acorn
    Agar
    Alfalfa
    Algae
    Arrowroot
    Artichoke
    Arugula
    Asparagus
    Avocado
    Beans
    Broccoli
    Brussel Sprouts
    Cauliflower
    Cabbage
    Carrots
    Celery
    Corn
    Cucumber
    Eggplant
    Garlic
    Green Beans
    Kale
    Lettuce
    Mushrooms
    Okra
    Onions
    Parsley
    Peas
    Peppers
    Potatoes (white and sweet)
    Pumpkins
    Radish
    Spinach
    Squash
    Turnips
    Watercress

Meats

Meats are always gluten free unless processed breaded or fried with breadcrumbs unless its gluten free flour for the batter. Avoid gravy as most gravy has gluten in it

Alligator
    Beef
    Buffalo
    Chicken
    Duck
    Goat
    Goose
    Lamb
    Pork
    Rabbit
    Snake
    Turkey
    Quail
    Veal
    Venison

Eggs and Diary Products

Butter (be sure it has no additives)
    Casein
    Cheese
    Cream
    Eggs
    Milk
    Sour Cream
    Yogurt- plain and not flavored
    Whey

Flour, Grains, and Wheat

This is where you have got to be very careful and really pay attention!

Almond Flour
    Amaranth
    Arrowroot
    Bean flour
    Besan
    Brown rice
    Brown rice flour
    Buckwheat
    Cassava
    Corn flour
    Corn meal
    Corn starch
    Cottonseed
    Dal
    Flaxseed
    Millet
    Pea Flour
    Polenta
    Popcorn – without coating
    Potato flour
    Quinoa
    Rice
    Sago
    Soy Flour
    Tapioca Flour
    Taro Flour
    Tef
    Yeast
    Yucca

Other gluten free foods

Alcohol (most but not beer unless its gluten free)
    Baking Soda
    Herbs
    Honey
    Jam
    Jelly
    Juice
    Nuts
    Oils
    Seeds
    Spices (most)
    Syrup
    Vanilla
    Vinegar
    Vitamins
    Wine
    Xanthan Gum
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    mm snake
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    I'm mostly grain free and don't really believe in expensive substitutes because they're too pricey and it's beyond ridiculous. Zucchini/veg noodles instead of pasta, collards/greens instead of wraps, cauliflower rice instead of rice, etc. I want my meals to be made up of ingredients that we will actually use.
    Breakfasts tend to be crustless quiche of any variety, lunch is stuffed peppers, soup, stew, salad or chili, and dinner is usually stir fry, any of the lunches, zoodles with a variety of sauces (Alfredo, marinara, Asian style, Cajun, etc).
  • Annie_01
    cp318 wrote: »
    I've been Celiac for 5yrs. It's getting easier, but when I first became gf there was next to no help, and even now though almost everything is to expensive for me. So I buy the bare minimum that I need to survive. I'm the only one in my household who is gf, and spending $300/mth on food that only I can eat is ludicrous.

As it stands right now, I'm saving so I can purchase all the ingredients I need to make veggie & quinoa patties again.

Everything here (Canada) that's GF is to costly.

:-(
    cp318 wrote: »
    I cook everything from scratch.
    And if the calories don't add up, its this app, cause I'm not putting in the calorie amount, just the serving and weight.

FYI I hate eating because it's difficult to get what I'm supposed to get on a gf diet.

If you look at today for example, I'm still behind on my calorie intake, but have ingested a fair bit.

If you're just going to be critical and opinionated without seeing what's going on, you can keep your rude comments to yourself thx.

I'm looking for help, if I wanted some one to bash / belittle me, I'd still be married.

Thx but no thx.

OP...the above list that I post should address both your concern over meeting your nutritional needs and your budget. As you can see the foods on that list (other than some of the specialty flours) are just normal foods that should be include in everyone's diet.

• Annie_01
    arditarose wrote: »
    mm snake

LOL I never noticed that snake was on the menu...nor alligator.