Feeding myself like an adult

2»

Replies

• shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    I don't understand why the need to state "biological female", pretty sure we'd believe you if you just said "I'm a woman", but whatever.

Get yourself a cookbook and start small. Mess up a few times, get better.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I don't understand why the need to state "biological female", pretty sure we'd believe you if you just said "I'm a woman", but whatever.

Get yourself a cookbook and start small. Mess up a few times, get better.

I thought that was oddly specific as well.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    I'm not sure where we picked up this idea that everybody is supposed to make - or supposed to know how to make - all their own food. If you need to go pre-packaged, do it, nothing wrong with it.

(And to the others - I assume "biological female" as opposed to some variant of trans- or surgical- )

• rainbowbow
    OP, Here's what you need to do.

Step 1.
    Only buy enough food for 2-3 days. I used to buy fruits/veggies and i was SO excited to eat them, then i'd forget. They'd be spoiled. I'd be like "dangit" and i'd order pizza.

Buy some items in bulk. Like rice, beans, etc.

http://fitmencook.com/kitchen-essentials-getting-started-with-your-healthy-eating-plan/

I highly recommend you watch his video on essentials in the kitchen. *Content really begins at 2:07*

I love the way he does things similarly to how i do. Once the food comes home I spend about an hour washing, cutting, chopping, prepping veggies/fruit, etc. That way when i do want to cook, i dont have to do any of the prep work. It's literally dump in a pan and sautee/mix in/etc. He also has a ton of great recipes and an app which gives you grocery lists, etc.

My suggestion would be:
    PRELOG YOUR FOOD FOR 3 DAYS.

Buy ingredients for said food (once you have essentials and dry foods it will only be fruits/veggies/meat)

When you get home do the washing/prep.
    NOTE: this is the time to make your fruit/veggie/snacks readily available and appealing looking. If it's in there and ready to eat you're much more likely to go for it. ESPECIALLY if you already did the work (you may feel obligated!).

Profit.
  • rainbowbow
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I'm not sure where we picked up this idea that everybody is supposed to make - or supposed to know how to make - all their own food. If you need to go pre-packaged, do it, nothing wrong with it.

(And to the others - I assume "biological female" as opposed to some variant of trans- or surgical- )

I get it. I just thought it was unnecessary to even state her sex.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited August 2015
    rainbowbow wrote: »

I can't speak for the OP, but I have observed that on anonymous chat boards, male posters will typically respond "better" to posters they identify as being female (except in PMs, where they typically revert to being sexist morons).

If I was female and looking for advice, I'd probably do the same.
  • rainbowbow

I can't speak for the OP, but I have observed that on anonymous chat boards, male posters will respond "better" to posters they identify as being female (except in PMs, where they typically revert to being sexist morons).

Good to know. Hold up, i'm going to start a twitch stream now and make millions.
  • Mr_Knight

I can't speak for the OP, but I have observed that on anonymous chat boards, male posters will respond "better" to posters they identify as being female (except in PMs, where they typically revert to being sexist morons).

Good to know. Hold up, i'm going to start a twitch stream now and make millions.

:smiley:

:drinker:
  • tiffanycompton33
    tiffanycompton33 Posts: 56 Member
    I feel like I am getting a little better at meal planning. I often buy mushroom peppers graded cheese tortilla shells and eggs and some sort of protein usually beans and tofu (since I eat mostly vegetarian). I will make a taco with these items then an omelet the next day (with the leftover peppers) then a stir fry for the next dinner, these items also work for kabobs. I buy some no-brainer items like tofu brats which just need to be heated and shoved in a bun (for lunch). I also buy some frozen vegetables and fruit since I have problems with spoilage. If I've eaten most of my items I find myself making a big pile of broccoli with cheese. Or I make a smoothie with the frozen strawberries. Then I go shopping again. I'm trying my best to experiment with new foods. I like salad but I find that usually I only get a couple of salads before the lettuce goes bad so I often just buy one salad (pre-made) from the store or Panera if I want one.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    1. Take cooking classes. What is available will depend on where you are, but look into community centers, community/junior colleges and better grocery stores like Whole Foods.
    2. Have a friend teach you some basics. I've done this for many friends--I love to cook, so it is fun for me. I will teach people things like how to properly make pasta and rice, how to make chicken veggie stock/soup and how to make a marinara sauce. Ask around and see if you can get some help.
    3. Cookbooks! There are many great cookbooks for beginners. I would recommend How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman. The public library is a good source for cookbooks--you don't have to buy them.
    4. Internet/Food Blogs/Pinterest. There are instructions online for how to do just about everything. I can't think of food blogs for beginners off hand, but I'm sure that they exist. There are also diet food blogs with easy dishes, such as Skinny Taste. skinnytaste.com/
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    1. Crockpot
    2. Pinterest "easy" "3-ingredient" "crockpot" "fast" meals
    3. Often, I just make a protein (chicken turkey burger steak salmon etc) on the grill, and roast a veggie like asparagus. No ingredients to mix.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    My advice to anyone learning to cook is to buy a utility kitchen knife and honing/sharpening steel first and foremost. A sharp knife makes prepping fresh foods for any recipe quick and easy instead of a time consuming chore, IMO.
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    On your off days you could cook all your meals for the week. Throw them in tuple ware then you still have your 'instant microwave dinner' feel, but it's healthy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    My advice to anyone learning to cook is to buy a utility kitchen knife and honing/sharpening steel first and foremost. A sharp knife makes prepping fresh foods for any recipe quick and easy instead of a time consuming chore, IMO.

Good advice.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2015
    I don't find the number of ingredients to be what makes a recipe difficult, not even the time required, or the rinsing, chopping, blending. That's the easy part. But the pouring of hot liquids, aiming without spilling, wrapping without getting burnt, cutting and folding of baking sheets - and making the *kitten* lay still - finding the right dry to liquid ratio, getting the food out of the oven or pan at exactly the right moment, timing different parts of the meal, all those hands-on operations that require dexterity and calm... I tend to freak out a little! I like to keep things as simple as possible, lol