How do you track pizza???

Options
I live in Northwest Indiana (45 minutes out of Chicago) so safe to say that we have the run-off of pizza places in my area. No one really eats Pizza Hut/Papa Johns etc... unless they are under 15 or broke. The problem is that none of these places are large enough to be required to list nutritional information. Even if it was just a basic pizza thin crust with crust sauce and cheese I would have SOMETHING to log and consider when counting my calories.

Ive been doing really well logging everything and afraid if I fall of the wagon cause of pizza.

How do you track your pizza intake?

P.s. I know I shouldn't have it at all, but I already plan to have a side salad with it so I eat less pizza.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Why shouldn't you have it? If you can fit it in your calories pizza and salad has great nutritional value

Go for the nearest equivalent
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Just pick a comparable option in mfps database. A chain restaurant. That's exactly what I did today.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Choose the chain restaurants equivalent "Pizza hut- large, thin crust pepperoni, 2 slices" for example.

We can't be perfect all the time, and that is okay.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Even if I didn't eat pizza hut the calories are still probably pretty close to what I did eat - so I find the closest thing in the data base and log it. And that nonsense about not having it... get over that. Food is not the enemy. Make it fit your calories and enjoy life.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I do what the others have said, find the closest equivalent and log that. I can usually fit in a couple of decent sized slices and a salad or veggies pretty easily in my daily routine. You can't not eat the things you love, thats the fastest way to fail and revert back to unhealthy eating patterns. Instead eat an appropriate amount and make it fit into your daily count.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I find the closest thing and go with that. Honestly, I would not worry about being 100% accurate for a night out of pizza. Eat as much pizza as you want, have some beers, and log it as best as possible and move on to tomorrow…

i usually look at three entries and pick the middle one….
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    my idea of pizza is usually the one that I go and get in NJ: big and cheesy *_*, I just log it as something like 450-500 calories and move on , the options I find says that they are like 300 cals. but I seriously doubt it
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Why shouldn't you have it? If you can fit it in your calories pizza and salad has great nutritional value

Go for the nearest equivalent

yeah I miss that part completely, why you shouldn't have it??
    girl let that guilt go and enjoy your evening!
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    As others said, just find a similar pizza from a chain. Here in Australia I find that not that many places offer nutritional values, not even all the fast food places. I use a lot of American sources when I'm eating out since I figure they're probably higher in calories and I'm over-estimating anyway.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I definitely ate too much pizza last night... I am not sure, but it was probably more than 700 calories
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    I definitely ate too much pizza last night... I am not sure, but it was probably more than 700 calories

That's typically only two pieces. That doesn't even get me started.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I find a chain equivalent too. But I don't have pizza often (I save it for when I crave it, which is once every two months or something).

Still not sure why Sbarro pizzas are 150 more calories per slice than Papa John though.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    1 pizza at a time.

Lol. That's the way I do it. Order pizza. Eat the pizza. All of it...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Why shouldn't you have it? Log it just like everything else.
  • ncboiler89
    Options
    1 pizza at a time.

Lol. That's the way I do it. Order pizza. Eat the pizza. All of it...

Atta boy/girl.
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    you know what i did last night? there was nothing good in the house so i ate some random burnt pizza crusts from a plate sitting by the sink from my brothers frozen pizza he cooked last night (you know what leaning tower ones?). Don't make my mistake, that was 300 calories (i weighed it of course) for bad pizza! if you don't give i to your cravings once i a while you may blow out your calories on burnt pizza crusts in desperation like me. I went over my calorie goal for those too!I walked briskly for an hour today to make up for that too!
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I just started making my own so I could put it in recipe builder and i actually likes what comes out of my kitchen better than anything I can get delivered. For a 14 in pie with 8 slices it comes out to 130 calories for the crust (edited - per slice) then whatever i build on it can be anywhere from 125 to 250 added calories a slice in toppings~
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I found an entry that was close in mfp. Slightly higher calories.
  • ncboiler89
    Options
    catwils1 wrote: »
    you know what i did last night? there was nothing good in the house so i ate some random burnt pizza crusts from a plate sitting by the sink from my brothers frozen pizza he cooked last night (you know what leaning tower ones?). Don't make my mistake, that was 300 calories (i weighed it of course) for bad pizza! if you don't give i to your cravings once i a while you may blow out your calories on burnt pizza crusts in desperation like me. I went over my calorie goal for those too!I walked briskly for an hour today to make up for that too!

Ya. That's just gross