Ate about 1000 calories of my "trigger" food tonight. Ack!

Options
I've done great all week, and had eaten well today - then I went to make cookies for my husband's gaming group tomorrow.

I cannot be around cookie dough!

So, now I'm about 1550 cals for the day (350 over) and feel gross. Anything I can do to help at least bring the calorie overage down for the day? Anything to help negate the sugar?

Even if there's not a ton I can do, I'm not giving up and throwing in the towel. I've felt too good this week to throw out all the hard work (completely).

Replies

• lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is another day. Look at all the other things that are 350, feel good with what you had. You could go for a walk or other exercise. Drink lots of water.
  • jonicalifornia
    jonicalifornia Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I cannot bake or be around goodies while I am trying to eat healthy. If it is not too late in your area, go for a walk. Just remember everyone has these bad days, and tomorrow you get to wake up from fasting all night, and start your healthy eating again. Soon you will feel better. Don't give up. Remember how good you felt all week. :)
  • FrazierSamuel
    FrazierSamuel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    350 over is no biggie. Sometimes you're over, especially if you're making this a life change. Forgive yourself and eat better tomorrow.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    350 over? Over your deficit goal?

That's nothing. Either move on or cut 100 calories a day for 3 days. Or do some cardio.
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    350 over? Over your deficit goal?

That's nothing. Either move on or cut 100 calories a day for 3 days. Or do some cardio.

^this. If it is only 350 calories over your deficit, than you are probably just eating at maintenance, which is fine.
    But if you want just eat less for a few days or do some more exercise to work it off.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You know OP, when I'm in a deficit-I usually have one day per week at maintenance. I look at my weekly goal and shave off a few hundred calories here and there so I can enjoy Saturday like a normal person.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    mrsdrshot wrote: »
    I've done great all week, and had eaten well today - then I went to make cookies for my husband's gaming group tomorrow.

So, now I'm about 1550 cals for the day (350 over) and feel gross. Anything I can do to help at least bring the calorie overage down for the day? Anything to help negate the sugar?

Even if there's not a ton I can do, I'm not giving up and throwing in the towel. I've felt too good this week to throw out all the hard work (completely).
    When in this situation, I either go for a walk and forget about it or call it christmas and have a cheat day.
    Either way works, and one day off track will not derail progress.

• freak4iron
    freak4iron Posts: 995 Member
    Options

Never throw in the towel, you gave in (that happens to everyone) just don't give up.

What can you do to offset it? when ever I give in to junk food I always make myself run to burn the equivalent. That's just my strategy it keeps me focused and allows me to "cheat" if I want to... And that keeps me sane cuz who doesn't like have a sweet every now and then?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    350 is nothing. One day of your normal deficit and you'll have made up for it already.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Log and move on.
    It takes more than 350 calories to gain a pound. If you normally have a 500 calorie deficit then you have not even eaten at your maintenance level.

If you want, you can just exercise more to accommodate eating more calories.

Do you have a medical condition that causes you to be worried about excessive sugar consumption? If not then don't worry about it.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I am a binge eater, and I have gone 2,000 calories over before. 3,000 even. take it easy, drink water, dont beat yourself up.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    freak4iron wrote: »

Never throw in the towel, you gave in (that happens to everyone) just don't give up.

What can you do to offset it? when ever I give in to junk food I always make myself run to burn the equivalent. That's just my strategy it keeps me focused and allows me to "cheat" if I want to... And that keeps me sane cuz who doesn't like have a sweet every now and then?

^^this

Giving in occasionally doesn't make you a bad person..it just makes you human. The important difference now is that you recognize what you're doing. Probably before, if you were anything like me, you could've eaten that way everyday and not even thought about it. Now you do, and you're trying to do something about it, so you're on the right track! It's only one day out of all of the days of your life..tomorrow will be a better day. <3
  • adbhmb
    adbhmb Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    First things first DO NOT let yourself feel guilty! It's not that big of a deal we ALL have a bad day. Do not try to work off, or purge those calories, and don't skip meals/snacks to compensate either.

Second, drink a lot of water, and it may also help to sip on a detox tea, I would suggest Yogi, daily detox tea (it smells like medicine, but tastes like Christmas. I love it) it is a very gentle cleansing tea. You can find it at Walmart, Price Chopper, Kroger and most health food stores, and it is always under $5 a box (nice and cheap). If you can not find it drink some green or Oolong tea, they are both great for you, taste great, help settle the stomach, and flush out toxins. If you sip on one of these teas DON'T add sugar or cream, it will lessen the benefits, if you prefer sweet/flavored tea add raw honey, lemon, mint, ginger, or cinnamon. After drinking water, and sipping on some tea do some LIGHT exorcise. Go for a gentle walk, do some yoga, stretch, go for a leisurely bike ride, just do something simple and calming (don't hit the gym yet)

Last but most important think of why you ate that much at a time (please be honest with yourself). How often do you eat like this? What else did you eat this day? If this is something you do often please read Brain over Binge, here's a free copy:(http://www.myproana.com/index.php/topic/120386-brain-over-binge-free-ebookibook/).
    You may have Binge Eating Disorder, it is an eating disorder in which you binge (without feeling the need to purge). Visit (bingeeatingdisorder.com) for more info.

If you need someone to talk to that has been there just send me a message, and I will help in any way I can. And anyone else who is reading this but would like help, feel free to talk to me as well.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I had to figure out recipes for things I make so that I wasn't always tasting them to see what I had to add.

I can now make cakes and cookies for others without nibbling any. I know it's off-limits, so I just don't. It was REALLY HARD getting to that point, but I did it.
  • mrsdrshot
    mrsdrshot Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate everyone's input. I ended up doing an extra workout, but more because I knew I couldn't fit it in today and I didn't want to miss Saturday's. I've done really well today, and the finished cookies don't even tempt me - it's that dough!

I'm learning to eat right (again) and not think about it as limitations. Thanks again.