No 5k races near me - need another goal

So I'll be starting c25k soon and I searched for a 5k race in my area and there aren't any by the time I'll be ready or available (I have to work weekends through October - maybe a Turkey Trot will open up). So until then I need another goal and time is all I can do by myself.

So what is a reasonable goal for running time for a 5k ? I'm seeing 10 - 12 minutes online, does that sound accurate for MFP members that have tried this ?

Replies

• JamesDanek
    JamesDanek Posts: 95 Member
    For your first one....

no.

5k is a little over 3 miles. I have been running for a year and have completed half marathon distance and i would be pleased if i could run it in less than 30 minutes.

I would aim for running 5k first regardless of time. Then go from there

Edit: my best time (according to endomondo) is 27m 33s
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    HAHA 12 minutes? Do you know how far 5km is? That is over 2miles (roughly)....
    I would be stoked with 30mins to complete it :)

edit: "current men's world record of 12 minutes 37.35 seconds"
  • Zaria_Athena
    Zaria_Athena Posts: 56 Member
    A reasonable time for a 5k?

Well first of all don't compare your time to any other runner. It's all about seeing progress in your own running.

Top athletes at races will finish a 5k around 13 to 20 minutes.

Depending on the race (a fun run vs competitive) the biggest chunk of runners will finish between 25 to 35 minutes.
    There will be runners that will finish in 1 hour depending on how much they walk and run. But they finish and kudos to them.

My first 5k time was 34:05. My PB is 27:17k. I'm working to chip away at that time.
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    From what I have seen on here, 30-40 minutes seems about average for first timers.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Thank you - I thought that sounded a little fast. Phew ! I am taking my time and going my own pace - or will when my bronchitis is over. I just had no idea once I get to 5k what my next goal should be.
  • coopers11
    coopers11 Posts: 30 Member
    If you've never run 5k before then surely just completing it is goal enough?

Don't get caught up in the times, just enjoy it! It wil be tough at first but it gets easier.

Where do you live? There is a great FREE 5k series called Parkrun that happens every week. Are there any near you?

http://www.parkrun.com/

Good luck !!!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member

Don't get caught up in the times, just enjoy it! It wil be tough at first but it gets easier.

Where do you live? There is a great FREE 5k series called Parkrun that happens every week. Are there any near you?

Good luck !!!

Just about to put about park run. I'm doing my first run on Saturday - hopefully will be about 45mins as I'm still not running 5k.
  • Alwayssohungry

Good luck !!!

Completing 5k is not my actual goal, for me that will be the easy part. It's continuing the 5k that will be my challenge, that's why I'm already planning for the goal after I complete it.

If I start it I know I will complete it, barring physical injury, but then I will stop - Been there - Done that - what's next.

I need my "What's next" now.

I live on Cape Cod and work in hospitality. We have plenty of 5k, but they all run on the weekends when I have to work :(

I'm hoping something will open up in the fall. But I live on the Cape Cod Rail Trail so I can time myself at any moment.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    My first 5K after 8 weeks of on again off again learn to run training (it rained so much so I skipped a few sessions) was 28:39 but I just found out that the course was actually 5.2K so I suppose that my time would have been sub 28 if it was a 5K
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    I'll not share what my first 5K time was, but I'll tell you- it was longer than 36 min. My friend ran the entire time (I walked partway) and I think her time was even a little over 36 min. If I ran the whole thing without stopping to walk, I wouldn't care what my time was. I am a terrible runner though.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    HAHA 12 minutes? Do you know how far 5km is? That is over 2miles (roughly)....
    I would be stoked with 30mins to complete it :)

edit: "current men's world record of 12 minutes 37.35 seconds"

Um, do you know how far 5km is? It's roughly over 3 miles (3.1 to be exact). I'd be pretty mad if I didn't complete 2 miles in roughly 12 min. :bigsmile:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    So I'll be starting c25k soon and I searched for a 5k race in my area and there aren't any by the time I'll be ready or available (I have to work weekends through October - maybe a Turkey Trot will open up). So until then I need another goal and time is all I can do by myself.

So what is a reasonable goal for running time for a 5k ? I'm seeing 10 - 12 minutes online, does that sound accurate for MFP members that have tried this ?

I suspect what you're seeing is people's pace per mile - anyone running a 12 min 5K would be signed up by their country's national team very quickly! :laugh: :laugh:

For your first 5K don't worry too much about time (except having a good time) your goals should be to cross the finish line with a smile on your face.

Have fun!
  • jenelizmin
    jenelizmin Posts: 47 Member
    They have virtual 5K's that you can do at a more convenient time/place. I've never done one, but I see them on Active.com all the time and have seen some pretty reviews on them. I'm not a very good social runner. I've run a few 5k's and a Zombie obstacle run, but in general I get uncomfortable running with other people (I think its because I'm military and have always been the "slow runner with short legs". With this in mind, instead of using a 5k race as my "goal" I instead downloaded the 5K to 10K app. It gave me a new goal to accomplish and I got to do it on my own timeline.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Once you get to where you can run 5K you can either set a goal to race a faster 5K or set a goal to run a longer distance race.

At that point you should probably get a training plan either online or in a book and then time trial yourself every six weeks or so to guage improvement.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Most newbies are between 30 and 40 minutes. Some are slower and a few are faster. Remember, the goal of C25K is to finish without walking.

Have fun and make sure you have shoes properly fitted by a running store so you don't get hurt!
  • Alwayssohungry
    Once you get to where you can run 5K you can either set a goal to race a faster 5K or set a goal to run a longer distance race.

At that point you should probably get a training plan either online or in a book and then time trial yourself every six weeks or so to guage improvement.

EXACTLY what I need ! Thank you - just got fitted for my new shoes and The Bayside Runner store is new to the area and will be putting some things together for the fall - perfect. I think I need an official T-shirt