Switching gyms! How much do you pay and what does it include?

Options

Replies

• Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have an LA fitness near me. i was a member there when i was 16 and I know too many people that go there and i hate running into people I know at the gym. there is a retro fitness but its near my gym which I'm starting to find its a bit far. i'm really spending a lot of money on gas.

as for buying the equipment, my house is too small. and i know if its in my home i can do it whenever... i wont do it. I'm an odd person haha

I dont know any local rec centers either by my home.

there was just something about the UFC environment that i loved. something about seeing all the fit muscular people makes me want to train to be as fit as well. plus i dont know anyone that goes there. again its close enough where i can bike to it. but far enough where i have a pretty good ride lol. I heard their classes were pretty intense. i was thinking of doing yoga to handle some extra stress that i have. but that stress is coming from my job. which i will be leaving very soon to go back to school for a degree in nutrition and dietetics. i feel a little weird being 212 lbs and going for this but its motivation. everytime i feel a little sluggish or lazy i think of this program and it motivates me. I WANT TO BE HEALTHY! and i want to help others be healthy as well!
  • jazlambe
    jazlambe Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Cocoa1020 wrote: »
    I have an LA fitness near me. i was a member there when i was 16 and I know too many people that go there and i hate running into people I know at the gym. there is a retro fitness but its near my gym which I'm starting to find its a bit far. i'm really spending a lot of money on gas.

as for buying the equipment, my house is too small. and i know if its in my home i can do it whenever... i wont do it. I'm an odd person haha

there was just something about the UFC environment that i loved. something about seeing all the fit muscular people makes me want to train to be as fit as well. plus i dont know anyone that goes there. again its close enough where i can bike to it. but far enough where i have a pretty good ride lol. I heard their classes were pretty intense. i was thinking of doing yoga to handle some extra stress that i have. but that stress is coming from my job. which i will be leaving very soon to go back to school for a degree in nutrition and dietetics. i feel a little weird being 212 lbs and going for this but its motivation. everytime i feel a little sluggish or lazy i think of this program and it motivates me. I WANT TO BE HEALTHY! and i want to help others be healthy as well!

You should go for it! Sounds perfect.
  • Cocoa1020
    Options
    jazlambe wrote: »

You should go for it! Sounds perfect.

I texted the rep i spoke to! he didnt get back to me. I'm trying to get it for a cheaper price. we all know they negotiate, he didnt message me back :( tho i think he was off today and tomorrow but ill try calling the gym tomorrow.

if i can get it for $30 a month (i'll go up to 35) ill switch now... $40... ill be a lot more difficult :P
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Things are cheap in the USA! I'm in Australia (a metro area), I pay $65/fortnight for a boutique gym. It's similar to Cross Fit but more of a focus on OCR. The sessions are all WODs and there's also yoga. The opening hours are more limited (classes in the AM and PM) but I also like supporting a small business as opposed to a chain/big business. People bring their dogs, we all know each other and go for trail runs/brunches/races together.

On the other hand, I'd LOVE a swimming pool and a sauna. But there are plenty of council swimming pools near me which are cheap and the weather is gorgeous so I can run outside year around. It's winter at the moment and it's been 25 degrees (77F) most of the day.

What do you mean its cheap here?! Crossfit is like $100 a month!!!!

And 77 degrees sounds like awesome runing/biking weather :)

Yep, the price I said is fortnightly, not monthly....
  • Cocoa1020
    Options
    Things are cheap in the USA! I'm in Australia (a metro area), I pay $65/fortnight for a boutique gym. It's similar to Cross Fit but more of a focus on OCR. The sessions are all WODs and there's also yoga. The opening hours are more limited (classes in the AM and PM) but I also like supporting a small business as opposed to a chain/big business. People bring their dogs, we all know each other and go for trail runs/brunches/races together.

On the other hand, I'd LOVE a swimming pool and a sauna. But there are plenty of council swimming pools near me which are cheap and the weather is gorgeous so I can run outside year around. It's winter at the moment and it's been 25 degrees (77F) most of the day.

ouch....
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I pay $0 a month and work out in my daughter's bedroom, the living room, and my bathroom. It's a big bathroom.

I belonged to a gym a couple of years ago, but it really didn't suit me. I don't have a car (Obama's economy), so I always had to wait until my husband got home from work to go to the gym. So, I had a very limited window of time in which to work out, and my kids getting more involved in their stuff (ballet, gymnastics, soccer, etc.) limited my time even more. I finally just quit the gym and started working out at home.

For resistance, I do Callanetics (a cheesy 80s exercise video that is both effective and gentle on my bad knee). For cardio, I just walk on my treadmill. I can work out at whatever time fits my daily schedule. It suits me better, and it's easier on my wallet. If you are disciplined enough to work out at home, I'd recommend giving it a try.
  • Cocoa1020
    Options
    PokeyBug wrote: »
    I pay $0 a month and work out in my daughter's bedroom, the living room, and my bathroom. It's a big bathroom.

I belonged to a gym a couple of years ago, but it really didn't suit me. I don't have a car (Obama's economy), so I always had to wait until my husband got home from work to go to the gym. So, I had a very limited window of time in which to work out, and my kids getting more involved in their stuff (ballet, gymnastics, soccer, etc.) limited my time even more. I finally just quit the gym and started working out at home.

For resistance, I do Callanetics (a cheesy 80s exercise video that is both effective and gentle on my bad knee). For cardio, I just walk on my treadmill. I can work out at whatever time fits my daily schedule. It suits me better, and it's easier on my wallet. If you are disciplined enough to work out at home, I'd recommend giving it a try.

Yea i'm not disciplined enough >.<
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

ouch....

I know! Cross Fit here is standard about $200 a month...
  • Cocoa1020
    Options

ouch....

I know! Cross Fit here is standard about $200 a month...

actually the rate i saw for $100 was what i saw on groupon. i looked up the price and its 167 a month for the unlimited. or $104 for twice a week. thats insane!
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options

A "cheap" gym here in Australia is $10 a week, with no classes. A Fitness First membership with classes is $20 a week. In terms of currency exchange, we were at/near parity for quite a while before we recently dropped ($10US will get you about $13AUD at the moment) so for this comparison you could consider it equal.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    £29 per month. Council run leisure centre, gives me access to 4 separate gyms around town, 2 pools, an outdoor track and field complex, 2 cycle tracks with free bike hire and 100+ classes per week. Fantastic value at under £7 per week. Plus the gym nearest to me just got refitted with brand new gym machines. Also that gym is built next door to my library - 2 birds with one stone on most visits!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I pay a lot to be an all-city member of the YMCA in NYC. I have a partial scholarship, but it's still around $75/month. They have pools, tons of classes and other activities. I use the pools, the gym (which has more equipment than I need) and go to various classes. Also, I use 4 locations on a regular basis because there are different things I do at each. There are cheaper places, but this is the most convenient with the most facilities I want.

I'm at my main location three times a week, in the pool, the gym, and on Sunday, in a ballet class.

Prior to this I belonged to NYSC, which was around the same price, with no pool and now I see they've dropped their price to about $20 a month.

The better thing about the Y is that the members are all ages and all fitness levels (I don't have issues with very fit people, however).
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Another Y member here. I travel a good bit and the all-access component is essential. I pay $99 for a "family" membership, but I'm really the only one who goes.
  • freak4iron
    freak4iron Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    I also am a Y member too but I'm considering canceling it. I never use the pool cause I feel like a creep as I'm the only adult actually ever in the water there and there's nothing but annoying kids and their moms.

I usually just go to my local highschool to lift. It's free, the have an awesome weight setup that they just expanded. 3 squat racks now instead of one, tons of barbells, three sets of every dumbell up to 150's!, and there's actually some cool kids in there that make me look like a wuss! So that's some motivation seeing highschool kids out do me like that.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    60 bucks. Small Brooklyn gym with all the weights I need, enough cardio "things" if I ever want to do it, plenty of classes to choose from. They also have a little store with gym gear, food, and a shake bar.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I pay about $40 per month, I believe. When I was paying monthly, it was more like $60, but I was finally able to afford a 6-month membership, and that brings the cost down.

My gym does do "crossfit" style classes, and those are expensive. I also have zero interest in crossfit, so no big deal there.

As for what we get: full access to the gym equipment, which includes two squat/power racks, a bench, two deadlift mats, a full array of dumbells, a bunch of isolation machines, a load of treadmills, bikes and other cardio machines, etc. I mean... it's a loaded gym. For the small town we live in, I'm impressed.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    PokeyBug wrote: »

I pay $0. I converted a garage to gym. I have a car (Obama's economy) but choose to walk instead of drive as often as possible. I walk to a sports park and play tennis. I walk to a local high school to jog the bleachers and run laps on the track. I don't have children so can't come up with excuses to put me second.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Hey guys so I am a planet fitness member. I love it there. the staff is friendly, it's $10 a month. I see all kinds of people and I feel comfortable there. My BF is training for a strength competition and he needed to join a gym with more stuff. He found a gym near his job that is relatively cheap. I don't venture out to that area much so i don't want to join that gym.

I wasn't thinking about switching until I drove past UFC gym that is quite a bit closer to be. So just for the hell of it I stepped inside and took a tour and I am sold. They have so much equipment that my gym doesn't have.

It's pretty intimidating tho. Everyone in there is so fit and muscular and I'm "fluffy and squishy". I am getting stronger and fitter and I will use those other people as my motivation. I will try my best to not feel like I don't belong.

I'm going to go with the cheaper membership where I can use all the machines and punching bags but no classes. It's $40 a month but i will try to negotiate. the membership that including the classes is $80 a month. That's just way to much for me. I was thinking of doing a yoga class.

So does anyone have any opinions on the UFC gyms? and if you live in the NY area, how much do you pay?
    And for those that Don't go to UFC, what gyms do you guys go to? how much do you pay and what does your membership include?

Happy lifting!

I can't help on the gym prices etc, I am not even in the same country but I do want to commend you on your attitude. So many people are intimidated by 'fit and muscular' people at the gym. You choose to use them as motivation and that is great. You are winning!!
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I recently stopped my LA Fitness membership and now belong to Optimal Sport Health Club for $49.99/month. It's only 8 minutes from my house so I go to the gym regularly 3 days a week. The club has multiple quat racks, lots of free weights and cardio equipment. There are 4 separate class rooms for things like; Zumba, Spinning, Yoga, ect., All classes are free with membership. There is also a large separate area of the club for Personal Trainers and equipment for their clients.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I work out at a local gym called body works. They have a quite a few locations. I believe I paid $400 up front for a one year contract and I don't have to pay the yearly equipment fee. So just over 30 a month. Classes at all locations are included and I can go to any location. If I wanted just one location I think it was around 20 a month. They have a decent amount of free weights and a good class schedule. I wouldn't pay too much more than that. I went to planet fitness for a month and it was a joke!

Edit: if you can afford to pay upfront they might negotiate more. I got a shorter contract and pay less each month plus minus the yearly equipment fee!