Losing 5lbs. In 1 week unhealthy?

Options
I recently got a Bowflex Max Trainer and began using it at the beginning of the week. I combined it with eating "less" than my usual face stuffing and noticed this morning I was down 5 pounds. Is that u healthy to lose it that fast? I'm super motivated to be at 175. Whatcha think?

Replies

• MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Only during the 1st week or 2, after that no. For instance I lost 6 pounds, my 1st week, then 2; then about 1 pound a week but I am a female, so nothing during my time of the month, I gained 2 pounds then.
  • Billy213
    Billy213 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Week one I lost 11lb, two 7lb and now down to 2lb a week the last couple of weeks.
  • emmaxcx878
    emmaxcx878 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Firstly, well done! It is clear you don't lack will power or motivation, however motivation is a tool and it may help to think about it like money and the best way to spend it...

Your liver holds glycogen, it usually weighs around 2 pounds... Can be more , , can be less. It is largely a sugar store, which your body uses for energy. during excercise or when fasting/severely restricting that store gets used up - hence the sudden weight loss. Then your body starts burning fat. In the short term, this can help you burn fat once the store is used up, but if the store isn't replenished (ie you carry on excercising and heavily restricting) it will slow your metabolism - your body will start to hang on to every calorie as food is scarce (going back to hunter days) - and you will find it much harder to keep losing weight.

Also a personal opinion - eating is about habit. Habit changes slowly over a long period of time, if you go for a quick fix, it is likely your habits will not have changed and as soon as your diet is over, it is likely you will return to your old habits.. Which is something we naturally do as humans, so while it may be attainable just now, it helps to evaluate whether or not it is sustainable,

Hope this helps!
  • unrpack765
    unrpack765 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Great point! I am not completely stopping my bad habits of eating more than I should. But I am slowly training my mind to do so. I am in it for the long run. I have so many cool clothes I would like to wear! Thanks for your tips!
  • longandpink
    longandpink Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    WOW. i wish i could lose 1lb in a week. well done.
  • unrpack765
    Options
    Omg! Trust me it has been a LOT of work! I struggled at work on Thursday because I was sore everywhere!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    5 lbs in one week is nothing to be alarmed about because part of the loss could be water weight or a normal fluctuation. But don't try to make it an expectation or goal or plan--- for all the reasons you read about here on MFP.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Great start, congrat! As already mentioned initially weight loss may be high due to losing water weight. If you were to continue to lose at this rate, then yes it would be unhealthy, because you'd be losing to much muscle also. Considering you're using your bowflex max, I don't think your intent is to a lose a lot of muscle.

Are you tracking your eating or just not stuffing your face? If you're not tracking, start. Seems you don't have a lot to lose, so set MFP at .5 to 1 lb/week and eat back 50-100% (moderate based on experience).

Does the Bowflex give you the ability to use a progressive load weight lifting program? If it does, start one. Remember that muscles also need time to recover and repair. Best of luck.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Only your doctor can answer whether something is healthy for you or not.

If I lost five pounds in a week, I'd jump for joy.

Weight comes off quicker when you first begin losing, so enjoy it wile it lasts. :)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Fine in the beginning, but if you're active and properly hydrated your weight will fluctuate dramatically. My weight fluctuates ~5lbs throughout the day.

Especially if you are in a resistance program goal for ~1lb a week, eat back protein to preserve muscle and carbs to gain.

Welcome aboard brother!
  • unrpack765
    Options
    You are correct I am not planning on losing muscle. I am tracking my eating and that is more than likely the reason I lose weight so fast. But then I fall in love with food and gain it back.
    loulamb7 wrote: »
    Great start, congrat! As already mentioned initially weight loss may be high due to losing water weight. If you were to continue to lose at this rate, then yes it would be unhealthy, because you'd be losing to much muscle also. Considering you're using your bowflex max, I don't think your intent is to a lose a lot of muscle.

Are you tracking your eating or just not stuffing your face? If you're not tracking, start. Seems you don't have a lot to lose, so set MFP at .5 to 1 lb/week and eat back 50-100% (moderate based on experience).

Does the Bowflex give you the ability to use a progressive load weight lifting program? If it does, start one. Remember that muscles also need time to recover and repair. Best of luck.

• unrpack765
    Options
    I am active all day due to my job so I'm always on my feet. However 2 things always seem to set me back. 1 I get so busy I don't snack and end up eating lunch late! 2 I am Mexican so eating without tortillas is almost against my religion!
  • unrpack765
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for sharing that information. I intend to keep it off but I get so motivated I push myself too much I think! Thanks for your input!
    lorrpb wrote: »
    5 lbs in one week is nothing to be alarmed about because part of the loss could be water weight or a normal fluctuation. But don't try to make it an expectation or goal or plan--- for all the reasons you read about here on MFP.

• unrpack765
    Options
    My problem is that when I get motivated there is nothing that stops me! Then I diet and work out like a maniac! Last time I did this, I post 25 pounds in 2 1/2 months. It took me about 2 years to gain it back. But this time I plan on keeping it off. Thanks for your input!
    Only during the 1st week or 2, after that no. For instance I lost 6 pounds, my 1st week, then 2; then about 1 pound a week but I am a female, so nothing during my time of the month, I gained 2 pounds then.

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    How much do you have to lose?
  • unrpack765
    Options
    I was at 205 as of Monday 27th, and yesterday July 31st. I was exactly at 199lbs. I want to be at 175-180 ! But let me be clear I am doing it because I would like to be around past 50!
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    Options
    unrpack765 wrote: »
    I am active all day due to my job so I'm always on my feet. However 2 things always seem to set me back. 1 I get so busy I don't snack and end up eating lunch late! 2 I am Mexican so eating without tortillas is almost against my religion!

While I myself am not Mexican, I do appreciate the cuisine enough; for it to be my favorite. I don't go entirely without tortillas but they aren't the base of those meals anymore either, I use them currently as a topping. if I make a wrap, I'll use lettuce; for the wrapping instead but I'll break into pieces 1/4 of a tortilla & place it on top of the meat, etc., inside of the wrap; for taste or I'll make a taco salad & again break into pieces 1/4 of a tortilla & use as a garnish on top.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Not quite sure why eating lunch late set you back. But you don't have to give up tortillas, just eat less of them and make them fit into your calories.

You seem very gung ho, just remember weight loss and eventually maintenance is a marathon, not a sprint.

• MondayJune22nd2015
    Options
    loulamb7 wrote: »

Not quite sure why eating lunch late set you back. But you don't have to give up tortillas, just eat less of them and make them fit into your calories.

You seem very gung ho, just remember weight loss and eventually maintenance is a marathon, not a sprint.

Exactly correct! Slow & steady, wins the race!