Strong curves vs. NROLW

Options
AsISmile
AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
Hi guys,

I want to start doing body recomposition soon, and was thinking of buying either strong curves or NROLW, but I'm not sure which one to get.
I've read an excerpt from strong curves and it seems to have a lot of focus on the glutes (duh), which I don't mind. Just curious if and how the programs in the book target the other parts of the body.
I can't really get a grip on what NROLW is focusing on. Can anyone tell me how the workouts are and if the explenation of the different exercises is any good?
If anyone has done both, which is your favorite and why?

My goal is recomp and I have no experience lifting. Secondary goal is get enough strength to do proper push ups. I prefer something that does not only have barbell exercises, my gym only has one...
Furthermore, I think I'd enjoy doing different type of exercises.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• AsISmile
    Options
    Bump.
    Anyone?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Strong curves is mostly for dem glutes.

NROLFW is an overall body program, but i didn't enjoy doing it because i didn't like most of the exercises. I felt silly dragging around a ball, a step, and the way the program is designed is to switch from one exercise to another which is nearly impossible in a corporate gym.

I prefer doing something like Stronglifts (ice cream fitness is my choice) because it allows me to do the major lifts and some added isolation exercises.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I want to start doing body recomposition soon, and was thinking of buying either strong curves or NROLW, but I'm not sure which one to get.
    I've read an excerpt from strong curves and it seems to have a lot of focus on the glutes (duh), which I don't mind. Just curious if and how the programs in the book target the other parts of the body.
    I can't really get a grip on what NROLW is focusing on. Can anyone tell me how the workouts are and if the explenation of the different exercises is any good?
    If anyone has done both, which is your favorite and why?

My goal is recomp and I have no experience lifting. Secondary goal is get enough strength to do proper push ups. I prefer something that does not only have barbell exercises, my gym only has one...
    Furthermore, I think I'd enjoy doing different type of exercises.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

i'd say NROLFW has both of those attributes.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I liked Strong Curves for lower body but added a bit for upper body. I do not like the NROLFW programming.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I just bought NROLW and am struggling a bit to figure out exactly what the workouts should be. I've been searching around MFP and the web for clearer explanations than the book provides about how to use the worksheets. I'm finding it pretty confusing.

I did serious lifting about 12 years ago using a 12 week progressive program with heavy weights and low reps called Body for Life. It was very successful, but thought I'd try something new this time (like NROLW). I may just go back to my old way of doing it if I can't figure this one out. I know that doesn't help with your question, but thought I'd share that info.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    I just bought NROLW and am struggling a bit to figure out exactly what the workouts should be. I've been searching around MFP and the web for clearer explanations than the book provides about how to use the worksheets. I'm finding it pretty confusing.

I did serious lifting about 12 years ago using a 12 week progressive program with heavy weights and low reps called Body for Life. It was very successful, but thought I'd try something new this time (like NROLW). I may just go back to my old way of doing it if I can't figure this one out. I know that doesn't help with your question, but thought I'd share that info.

I can help you with the workouts and figuring out how they work.

I must add though, my mom did Body for Life and saw amazing results. She is in her 40's but looks GREAT! Many people joke about how we look like "sisters" (i'm mid 20's).
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

I must add though, my mom did Body for Life and saw amazing results. She is in her 40's but looks GREAT! Many people joke about how we look like "sisters" (i'm mid 20's).

That would be wonderful and I would so appreciate your help! Do you want me to PM you? or just post my questions in this forum?

Re: the Body for Life. I can totally believe your mom saw amazing results! When I did that program I couldn't believe how my body changed in such a short amount of time. At the time I was in my mid-40's, wearing a bikini on the beach in Maui, and feeling pretty fabulous. Unfortunately, I ended up with back-to-back injuries (unrelated to weight lifting) and my progress was seriously derailed when I couldn't work out for over 6 months. I gave my book to my son and have never seen it again.
  • AsISmile
    Options

Thanks. That is helpfull to know.
    Strong curves is mostly for dem glutes.

NROLFW is an overall body program, but i didn't enjoy doing it because i didn't like most of the exercises. I felt silly dragging around a ball, a step, and the way the program is designed is to switch from one exercise to another which is nearly impossible in a corporate gym.

I prefer doing something like Stronglifts (ice cream fitness is my choice) because it allows me to do the major lifts and some added isolation exercises.

Hmm.. Dragging around a ball and step don't sound ideal...
    Could you give an example what kind of exercises the plan has you do?
    Also, in the excerpt of SC, I've seen really good explenations of how to do an exercise that include clear pictures and common mistakes. Does NROLFW also have this?
  • sheilaq14
    sheilaq14 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes, new rules has pictures and clear explanations. I found the exercises a little confusing the first time but by the third I really enjoyed them. What new rules has done for me is great, it really gave me back my balance and flexibility, think lots of one-legged stuff plus the compound lifts. I love it, highly recommended, but I have a kick *kitten* home gym so I don't have to feel silly rolling around on the ball. The program has made me feel ten years younger.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    There is a group on here for NROLFW that can answer all questions but I can try and answer a few here.

The program is actually set up in different stages, so the lifts aren't the same the whole time. There are seven stages, though number six is optional. In the first stage you do use the stability ball for one exercise and a step, for example. So there is some added equipment requirements. Each stage has some barbell, dumbbell and cable work involved and some of the stages are similar to each other but vary on number of sets and reps. The book has each stage written out and the very back of the book explains all of the exercises. That section is probably one of the best parts of the book, in fact.

I just used a notebook to keep track of my lifts in both stronglifts and new rules of lifting for women. Once you figure out the structure (which is explained a few times in the group on here) then it's not too bad. However, it can be hard in some gyms depending on layout. I had to change a few things, do one exercise then another later instead of one set of each because the equipment wasn't close to each other. But it was a good program and while it didn't really help my deadlift numbers, I did see increases in many other lifts/aspects. I haven't tried strong curves and now i'm looking more into ones like Wendler or Push/Pull. Stronglifts is a good option though it's just barbell focused, there is also a group on MFP for women doing that routine (and others like ICF and such).
  • rainbowbow
    edited August 2015
    Options

That would be wonderful and I would so appreciate your help! Do you want me to PM you? or just post my questions in this forum?

Re: the Body for Life. I can totally believe your mom saw amazing results! When I did that program I couldn't believe how my body changed in such a short amount of time. At the time I was in my mid-40's, wearing a bikini on the beach in Maui, and feeling pretty fabulous. Unfortunately, I ended up with back-to-back injuries (unrelated to weight lifting) and my progress was seriously derailed when I couldn't work out for over 6 months. I gave my book to my son and have never seen it again.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/33059054#Comment_33059054

I suggest you look at this thread. It has a downloadable log for your NROLFW workouts. I explained it in detail to her so it should be pretty straight forward.

To the OP, as others have said, yes. It has detailed pictures and explanations in the book as well as some witty commentary. ;)

Take a look at the spreadsheet for an idea of the exercises, the reps and sets.