Asthma symptoms from not running in a few days?

Options
Hi all,

I'm asthmatic but I do like to do jogging/walking intervals for my cardio. I normally don't have an issue unless I missed a couple days and start to have symptoms. Nothing that would deter me from running but I can't go for nearly as long. I'm fine the very next day or so. Is this just my body telling me my lungs are trying to get out of shape?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• callieboom
    callieboom Posts: 30
    Options
    Hi,

I have had a similar problem with my asthma, do you have a preventer inhaler? My doctor prescribed me one which I now take at the beginning of a high intensity work out (I don't use it all the time, although I did at first when my attacks were really bad). They have eased up now so I don't have to use it all the time, it has been a godsend.

You should go and see your doctor and see what they say, I don't know where you're from (I'm in the UK) but they signed me up to a (free) asthma clinic where they monitored it and it has been incredibly helpful. A lot of GP surgeries have these (or can at least refer you to one nearby).
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Are you sure there aren't other environmental factors causing your problems? Pollen is a huge factor in my asthma and some days are worse than others. I run 20+ miles a week and taking a few days or a week off doesn't undo all the good work I've done for my lungs.

Are you sure that after a little while off you aren't going out too fast and causing the problem that way?

A call in to the dr. wouldn't hurt.
  • OMGitzj3551k4
    OMGitzj3551k4 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Well I have a "rescue/preventative" inhaler I always take before I go. I have a feeling its a combination of me starting off too fast and too long, and the freaking cottonwood trees we have here. The white fuzzies are flying everywhere!