vegan august challenge

Options
Anyone interested in going vegan for a month with me? See if it helps us lose pounds?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is about eating fewer calories than you burn. Eating less is difficult enough. Cutting food groups makes eating less even more difficult. Go vegan for ethical reasons, not to lose weight. There are fat vegans too.
  • gardenbikefamily
    gardenbikefamily Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    There are also vegan for health reasons. Doctors use non-processed vegan diets to cure cancers, not for the animals sake
  • bouncycat
    bouncycat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I did the 21 day vegan challenge last September and stayed vegan for 4 months! I also lost about 15lbs without even trying. I quit vegan and oh look the weight is back and brought a few friends! Regardless of what above poster said, a vegan diet is a lot easier to be nutrient dense without the empty junk calories (as most junk is simply not vegan!).

I'm ready to roll again. And you are absolutely right, the health benefits are increasingly hard to ignore (just look up Neal Barnard)
  • gardenbikefamily
    Options
    I was just reading an article about food study groups & the vegan group lost weight without even meaning to
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I lost more weight giving up vegetarianism and veganism. It's all cico at the end of the day though
  • gardenbikefamily
    Options
    Well it doesn't work for everyone. But I was a raw vegan last year for a short period of time & I never felt better
  • gardenbikefamily
    Options
    I lost more weight giving up vegetarianism and veganism. It's all cico at the end of the day though
    what's cico
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    what's cico

What's cancer? Oh, it's that thing that can be cured by eating lettuce.
  • waytobefranny
    waytobefranny Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    what's cico

+1
    but then I realised, calories in calories out :smile:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    There are also vegan for health reasons. Doctors use non-processed vegan diets to cure cancers, not for the animals sake

Wow. No. No, they don't. That's just.... no. No doctor, not with an actual registration and the most basic level of ethics, would tell anyone a vegan diet would cure their cancer. Just... no.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »

Look. I'm probably more supportive of alternative medicine than a lot of people on these boards, but statements like the one I quote above are ill-informed and thoughtless.

What is true is that some large prospective, observational studies indicate that vegetarian diets are at least slightly effective in preventing cancer, with an overall cancer risk reduction of about 10-12%. A lot more work needs to be done to get a clear picture of possible effects of vegetarianism on specific cancers. So far, there are no long-term randomized clinical trials investigating this, and even less work focused on a vegan diet specifically.

In the meantime, generalizations like "doctors use non-processed vegan diets to cure cancers" make a completely unjustified leap in assumptions, and represent failure to understand the research (and yes, I read your linked article).

It's really exciting and fascinating to watch the research about the impact of nutrition on chronic illnesses like cancer unfold. But claiming that vegan diets cure cancers, and saying so here, where people are looking for diet-related information they can trust, is very irresponsible.

^All of this.

OP, good luck with going vegan. If you find sticking with a vegan diet difficult, don't get discouraged! Not every way of eating is right for everyone (obviously), and as previously mentioned, there are all sorts of ways to eat to lose weight; the controlling factor is being in a calorie deficit.

Good luck, and if nothing else, hopefully you'll discover some great new recipes.
  • NCGOALIEMOM
    NCGOALIEMOM Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Sorry to burst anyone's bubble... but I'm one of those that was able to cure my cancer without surgery, without chemo and without radiation, but with a raw vegan diet. It's called gerson therapy... and they have been curing people for over 4 decades with it. The FDA will not allow any natural treatment for cancer in the US, because the pharm companies run this country (if you think I'm kidding, start doing some research... and follow the money) they don't want healthy americans... they want americans who survive on a host of drugs so they can stay in business. And shocking... I wasn't the only successful patient. There are THOUSANDS of us who have stayed in remission. For all the non-believers, do yourself a favor and just start with the nice little read of the China Study. Expand your research from there.

To the original poster, ABSOLUTELY. I'll take the challenge with you. I've been slipping to the vegetarian side lately and I really need to get back to Vegan. I've put on way too much weight eating the vegetarian junk.
  • NCGOALIEMOM
    NCGOALIEMOM Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    So thousands of us are "fantasy"???? ummmmmmkay. (insert an eye roll for visual effect). You go ahead and you stick with your "studies". I'm going to stick with my VERY REAL results. I've been in remission for 5 plus years now. Far better results than my chemotherapy counterparts that were diagnosed at the same time.

I'm a living study, and I'm cancer free. THAT is the only evidence I need.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options

I respect vegans who claim ethical concerns (though I don't share those concerns).

Vegans claiming health benefits are lacking evidence.

Is it better than the SAD? Sure. But that has nothing to do with animal products being unhealthy.
  • gardenbikefamily
    Options
    NCRawGirl wrote: »
    Sorry to burst anyone's bubble... but I'm one of those that was able to cure my cancer without surgery, without chemo and without radiation, but with a raw vegan diet. It's called gerson therapy... and they have been curing people for over 4 decades with it. The FDA will not allow any natural treatment for cancer in the US, because the pharm companies run this country (if you think I'm kidding, start doing some research... and follow the money) they don't want healthy americans... they want americans who survive on a host of drugs so they can stay in business. And shocking... I wasn't the only successful patient. There are THOUSANDS of us who have stayed in remission. For all the non-believers, do yourself a favor and just start with the nice little read of the China Study. Expand your research from there.

To the original poster, ABSOLUTELY. I'll take the challenge with you. I've been slipping to the vegetarian side lately and I really need to get back to Vegan. I've put on way too much weight eating the vegetarian junk.

Go gearson!!
    Add me as a friend ❤