Discrepancy between digital scales and MFP

Options
After not getting below my low weight in May, I finally did this morning and noticed that my scales weigh in 2/10 of an inch, but MFP translates that as two ounces. So when I registered my weight as 142.8 from 143.2, it showed a 10 oz. loss instead of less than a six oz. one. So I re-entered my weight as 143.0 to round up and now of course it shows only a 2 oz. loss.

Rather than try to convert tenths of pounds into ounces, I'm just going to start rounding up to the next half-pound. Does anyone have an easy formula for this?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Formula as in Excel ? Not sure I quite understand, 142.8 is 142 lbs and 8/10th of a lb as implied by the decimal point. 142 lbs 8 ozs would be 142.5 lbs.
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    This is why metric is the future.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    This is why better programming should be the future. It's already in base ten. It's mind boggling that MFP would treat decimals as ounces rather than tenths of a pound.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    This is why better programming should be the future. It's already in base ten. It's mind boggling that MFP would treat decimals as ounces rather than tenths of a pound.

Right!
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I just tested it by putting in142.8 and it stayed at 142.8. Maybe it is a problem with your settings?
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Mine doesn't say oz anywhere. I was at 117.6, entered 116.8 today and it says I lost 0.8 lbs. Where does it say oz? on your feed?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    My MFP also does tenths of a lb. I checked it again. Where do you see it in ounces?????
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm not seeing ounces either.
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Does your scale do kilograms and pounds? My Canadian one does. You could switch it and it will be a lot easier, a lot more accurate and more straight forward to log as it's always in 10ths. Plus you'll lose like 80lbs overnight
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    What is 2/10 inch on your scales?
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    You don't need to adjust anything really. There's no reason to believe that your home scale is 100% accurate. You want to results to be precise (meaning highly repeatable) rather than accurate (meaning objectively correct). As long as the numbers are going down, it doesn't really matter WHAT the number is.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options

Metric is the present friend, the USA is livin' in the past!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I didn't know MFP did that. That does suck.

Does this help? http://www.aqua-calc.com/convert/weight/ounce-to-pound
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I didn't know MFP did that. That does suck.

It doesn't. OP is confused.

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    What is 2/10 inch on your scales?

A typo :) Nice catch!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »

Metric is the present friend, the USA is livin' in the past!

It's about time you guys came over to easier way :bigsmile: