Running again for a noob

Options
I wanna start running again. I used to run in 2012. I log daily and do cardio exercises like basketball, swimming and the elipticial. Any tips, training ideas, and support would be great!

David

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Start slow and work on increasing duration/and or speed. The biggest fallback for some is attempting to do what they used to do when they are fit or conditioned enough to do it. Anyone (including elite athletes) need a reintroduction to exercise after a long layoff with easing in to it first.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Ease back into running slowly, even though you have previous experience, lest you find yourself injured from trying to do too much too soon.

In my opinion, it would be a good idea to use an app like 5K Runner or Couch to 5K, to help you get a good foundation started. You will build slowly during the 8 week process. After that, you can reassess your needs and goals in training.
  • freak4iron
    freak4iron Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat and might have rushed into it too soon at first. I tried doing 5miles a day off the bat and kept ending up with a bummed knee and snapping hip syndrome.

I wasn't listening to my body, that is my first tip of advice. If you are in pain or are getting injured your overdoing it. Start small like with one mile and do it once or twice a day then once the mile is comfortable start trying for two miles at a steady jog.... Then once you do that for a couple weeks you're probsbaly fit for for three or four with some walking rests in there as well...
  • Jacqui_Runs
    Jacqui_Runs Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I use the Couch to 5k program, and I love it. It's awesome for new runners. It's helping be build my endurance up. I'm on week 4, and next week I will doing my first run with no walking intervals, and I'm very excited to see how I do. I absolutely recommend it.