Serving size for a salad???

Can anyone let me know what is considered 1 serving for the large garden salad in the myfitnesspal foods list. Thank you.
This is my first post. I hope I can figure out how to get back to read the replys.... ;)

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    You are better off entering the individual ingredients that you add to your salad. By choosing a generic entry from the data base you have no idea what they put in that salad. Could have bacon...cheese...egg...croutons...etc etc.

Look for the ingredients on an individual basis...weigh...log...and then your salad can be any size that you want it to be.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Buy a food scale if you have not already so that you can weigh foods in grams. (Many entries are user generated and the check marks are not reliable.)
    Regarding the salad: make a guess for today. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Estimate the ingredients in your salad and log them separately. With things like spinach, arugula, cucumbers, it's not going to matter much if you are a little off. If you have higher calorie things (like cheese or olives or croutons) try to estimate more carefully and weigh/measure them going forward. For dressing measure that if there's any oil or other higher calorie ingredients (or based on the calories on the bottle if it's pre-made).

Logging takes a little time to figure out, but it begins to make more sense really quickly.

IME, a food scale really does make everything easier and it's kind of fun to use.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    It's best to log each ingredient. The database has a lot of foods with all kinds of inaccuracies. Enter all your own stuff.

If you have a food (or postage) scale, you may find you get more accurate totals by weighing all your food. I know that seems more obsessive than some people want to be or is just more work than some people want to do, but it's an idea. It will help you get a more accurate estimate.

If you aren't up for weighing, measure each ingredient and log it that way.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Tiny54 wrote: »
    Can anyone let me know what is considered 1 serving for the large garden salad in the myfitnesspal foods list. Thank you.
    This is my first post. I hope I can figure out how to get back to read the replys.... ;)
    I had to create my own foods to enter given the variance between certain items in the data base.
    For me: 1 serving of salad...
    c1r8qiv2uygh.jpg
    CALORIES: 213, FAT: 5, Carb: 40, Protein: 2

And this goes well with a broiled chicken breast...

• KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    I find complete salads helpful that are from Zaxbys, Jim n Nicks, Chic Fil A

I try to make similar salads so the counts should be similar

A variation in lettuce or a few cherry tomatoes or onions won't wiggle the calorie
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    I don't weigh my lettuce, but this is how I log salad 3jsa1x69hwpe.jpg