Is there such a thing as a low cal oil??

Options
Cherylrr
Cherylrr Posts: 26 Member
I know this is probably the dumbest question out there, but it seems like no matter what oil I try it's about 120 a Tablespoon.....

Also any suggestions to replace the oil to pop popcorn the old fashion way?? Kinda getting sick of the Microwave...

Thanks

Replies

• Cherylrr
    Cherylrr Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I know this is probably the dumbest question out there, but it seems like no matter what oil I try it's about 120 a Tablespoon.....

Also any suggestions to replace the oil to pop popcorn the old fashion way?? Kinda getting sick of the Microwave...

Thanks
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I have a "crank top" stove top popper, and I use about a teaspoon of oil, which works well. I figure it distributes quite a bit, and the popcorn has few calories.
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I try to use olive oil for just about everything that requires oil, it is high in calories but is very healthy for you.
    Also, I have a microwave popcorn bowl, it has a lid and is vented from the bottom. It pops plain kernels without any oil. And If I want to add flavor I quickly spray the popped corn with cooking spray and sprinkle with parmasean cheese or salt and pepper, anything really.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    What about a hot air popper? I honestly don't know if the popcorn tastes different..but I really like mine!
  • karamac
    karamac Posts: 26
    Options
    Hi in the uk we have something called fry light this is only 1 cal per spray
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I try to use olive oil for just about everything that requires oil, it is high in calories but is very healthy for you.
    Also, I have a microwave popcorn bowl, it has a lid and is vented from the bottom. It pops plain kernels without any oil. And If I want to add flavor I quickly spray the popped corn with cooking spray and sprinkle with parmasean cheese or salt and pepper, anything really.

I want that bowl!
    Can we get from wal-mart?
  • cinandchris
    cinandchris Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    i want that bowl too :love:
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I have a hot air popper. Just pour popcorn in, turn on, and a few minutes later you're done!

Of course, if I had my way I would then pour on mountains of butter....yumm..... Oh, sorry, I started to daydream! :tongue:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

Thanks

Not a stupid question at all. I went to the grocery store last night and was looking at cooking oils and found the same thing. They're all 120 cals so I just didn't buy any. Glad you asked that question.
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    Options

I want that bowl!
    Can we get from wal-mart?
    Its so fast, easy and neat!
    I got mine at fleet farm, in Wisconsin, packaged in a box, near the small kitchen appliances. I'm sure they have it elsewhere too, probably wal mart. My sister has one and they don't have fleet farm near them.
    I just checked on amazon.com They have the Presto 04830 PowerPop Microwave Multi-Popper for about $14, which is what I have. (need the little cardboard liners too)