I want to gain 33 pounds!

Options
Im 5'8 about 127lb my goal is to weigh 160lb eventually. Is that to big of a goal?! Is it even possible to gain 2-3lb every week or 2?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would you want to gain 2-3lb per week? The majority of it is going to be fat... shoot for 0.5lb or 1lb gain per week.
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Is there a reason for that particular number? 2-3 pounds a week is going to be darn hard without putting on fatty tissue. If you want muscle gains, then don't worry about scale numbers as much as lifting properly for a bulking and eating correct (i.e. enough protein). Body type is going to play a role too. Are you ectomorph, endomorph, or mesomorph? see: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/becker3.htm Different body types gain mass at different rates. Lots of different factors are going to play, but I think your goals are pretty aggressive (the rate of getting there I mean - you can get to 160). Consider a bulk program and use a tape measure and mirror to see progress more so than a scale.
  • CancerSurvivor2014
    CancerSurvivor2014 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am gaining at a rate around 1 1/2 # a week. I lift 4 days and been steady on the cardio. Most of the belly fat I shed has come back. It is the 1st place for it go and last place to leave. I have MFP set to gain 1 pound a week plus eat a surplus and my exercise calories back. I think 2 a week is as far as you want to go unless you are not worried at all about extra fat or you need the extra fat on your body.
    Add me if you want as "gaining" friends are far fewer than losing ones.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would you want to gain 2-3lb per week? The majority of it is going to be fat... shoot for 0.5lb or 1lb gain per week.

this
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason for that particular number? 2-3 pounds a week is going to be darn hard without putting on fatty tissue. If you want muscle gains, then don't worry about scale numbers as much as lifting properly for a bulking and eating correct (i.e. enough protein). Body type is going to play a role too. Are you ectomorph, endomorph, or mesomorph? see: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/becker3.htm Different body types gain mass at different rates. Lots of different factors are going to play, but I think your goals are pretty aggressive (the rate of getting there I mean - you can get to 160). Consider a bulk program and use a tape measure and mirror to see progress more so than a scale.

sorry, but I have to correct this.

semantotypes are complete broscience.
    carbs are more important when bulking.

OP - please disregard.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - you have a few options and gaining tow to three pounds a week is not one.

First - you can go for a long slow bulk and gain .5 a week and run it until you get to 160 but that is going to be a long progress.

Second - you can run a couple bulk/cut cycles. So go for either .5 or one pound per week and add say 15 pounds and then cut to get your body fat down, and then run another bulk cycle. Do this until you get to 160.

are you new to lifting? Are you planning on following a structured lifting plan during this time?
  • Steve_ApexNC
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

OP - please disregard.

Broscience? Not sure I agree. I am all for being convinced otherwise, but provide some links please.

I understand carbs are needed for immediate fuel, but protein is required to build tissue. Like anything, it is a balance between sufficient energy for the workout and the correct nutrient to repair and rebuild.

EDIT - Did some quick googling. Seems you are right on broscience. I have been taught that for 30 years and never thought to challenge it. Looked it up and it was a psychologist who invented these classifications and it wasn't based in science. Interesting. Live and learn. Thanks for correcting me.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

OP - please disregard.

Broscience? Not sure I agree. I am all for being convinced otherwise, but provide some links please.

I understand carbs are needed for immediate fuel, but protein is required to build tissue. Like anything, it is a balance between sufficient energy for the workout and the correct nutrient to repair and rebuild.

You mean somatotypes?

1920's research based upon physical attributes and psychological attributes... not much to do with bodybuilding or anything similar.
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Options

OP - please disregard.

You mean somatotypes?

1920's research based upon physical attributes and psychological attributes... not much to do with bodybuilding or anything similar.

yes. The previous poster corrected me. I did more reading and agreed with him that what I had learned for many years is wrong.
  • CancerSurvivor2014
    Options
    I don't think it is necessarily wrong. I just think it's more of a generalization. And although most people will fall into one of those categories their individual needs may be different from someone else who is the same type.
    OP: I don't think your 2-3# goal is too aggressive. At your height and weight , a little body fat is not necessarily a bad thing. You may want to start out like that and taper back as you go. Once you get some meat on you cut back to 1-2 pounds. Then when you start seeing extra body fat cut back to a 1 lb a week goal. This is pretty much what I am doing and it is working for me. Just remember that the fat is much easier to add than subtract. I say keep that in mind and GO FOR IT!!!!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I don't think it is necessarily wrong. I just think it's more of a generalization. And although most people will fall into one of those categories their individual needs may be different from someone else who is the same type.
    OP: I don't think your 2-3# goal is too aggressive. At your height and weight , a little body fat is not necessarily a bad thing. You may want to start out like that and taper back as you go. Once you get some meat on you cut back to 1-2 pounds. Then when you start seeing extra body fat cut back to a 1 lb a week goal. This is pretty much what I am doing and it is working for me. Just remember that the fat is much easier to add than subtract. I say keep that in mind and GO FOR IT!!!!

sorry, but that is really not good advice. At three pounds a week gain OP is going to gain about 1.5 pounds of at a week, maybe more, and all that is going to do is shorten their bulk, because fat gain is going to be too quick...
  • CancerSurvivor2014
    Options
    At 5' 8" and 127# sounds to me a little fat may not be a bad thing. It may not be a good goal if their goal is to be super shredded. But that's not necessarily everyone's goal. I did it just to put some meat back on my bones realizing that at least half is gonna be fat. I don't think it's good advice to stay at that rate for long but jump starting it by bulking heavy for a few weeks really helped me with my strength gains. I am not really that concerned with some extra fat. Believe me I get what you are saying especially when putting in the cardio. I stated that it is way easier to get fat then burn it off.
    If they don't mind some extra body fat then why not?
  • RedWolf09
    RedWolf09 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Bro my advice is just ignore all technicalities and eat eat eat! You need to be shooting for 4000 calories a day minimum. People like me and you have high metabolisms. If I don't eat enough I get skinny. Trust your body to handle the calories, but make sure you're working your *kitten* off at the gym too.
  • SkeletonWithMuscles
    SkeletonWithMuscles Posts: 3 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    3-4 pounds a months is fine man.
    More weight gain doesn't mean more muscle gain.
  • CancerSurvivor2014
    Options
    RedWolf09 wrote: »
    Bro my advice is just ignore all technicalities and eat eat eat! You need to be shooting for 4000 calories a day minimum. People like me and you have high metabolisms. If I don't eat enough I get skinny. Trust your body to handle the calories, but make sure you're working your *kitten* off at the gym too.

@ndj1979 This is kind of what I am saying here. Although I am in a different situation then these guys. I don't have a high metabolism, I lost 45# in 2 months due to cancer treatment. The idea still the same >> get aggressive with it.
    If they start seeing too much fat then back off. But what's probably gonna happen is what happens to me. I set MFP to gain 1# a month. I then eat my exercise cals back plus a surplus. My weight might spike daily but over a months time it only adds up to a pound a week anyway. But the work has to be put in at gym. And OP would want to keep an eye on the extra fat and cut back eating if needed

Your advice is the best general advice and it sounds like you really know your stuff. Where I am a beginner and I am not claiming that my way is better. Actually if I could just sustain about 5#s more I would definitely do it your way(the right way). But like I said before it's working for me so I'll stick with it for a little longer and then cut back to bulking slower.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    shame OP never came back....