Lean bulk

Options
trevcarroll28
trevcarroll28 Posts: 3 Member
I'm at 135 lbs and sitting around 10-11% body fat. I'm trying to add muscle to my frame but have any fat gain be minimal. Eating around 200-220 grams of carbs currently and around 160 grams protein, 60grams fat, in a caloric surplus. Should I increase my carb intake on training days? Keep them low on rest days.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Keep your carbs up all the time...

• wikidinho4
    wikidinho4 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to do just strength training, I'd lay off the carbs and substitute it with healthy fats instead.
    AKA Primal/Paleo
  • Crogirl_22
    Crogirl_22 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    So you eat 2116 cal per day? Wow that is pretty low for a bulk and especially for a guy! How tall are u? Have you been working out for a longer time? why no pics on your profil, to help people give u more accurate advice? ;-) Keep your carbs high and you need your cals on rest days for recovery and to fuel your body for the training which is coming the next day. The carbs you eat today are ur fuel for tomorrow.. and with keeping in mind that our digestion needs around 48-72 h...of course there is also the thing if you are a person who is likely to gain fat fast or not, that all have to be considered.. and in the end you have to try things out, but starting from a point where u have considered several factors and after that u can adjust through the process ;-)
  • IsaackGMOON
    edited August 2015
    Options
    wikidinho4 wrote: »
    If you're looking to do just strength training, I'd lay off the carbs and substitute it with healthy fats instead.
    AKA Primal/Paleo

Worst advice I've seen lol... don't even listen to his.

Carbs are your friend... especially on a bulk.
  • vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Actually your macros sound fine % wise. If you're a young active person and working out 3-6 times per week doing strength training you should increase you caloric intake. Calculate your TDEE eat several hundred calories over that.
  • smitup
    smitup Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    "Eat big to get big", It's what i've always heard. Granted it was usually from guys that were strong as a bear but also carried a bit of weight as well. Our macro %'s effect us all a bit differently. Play with the numbers but do it slowly. No big adjustments all at once. Tweak the numbers that lead you in the right direction. It's a slow process but can be a fun one that allows you to understand how you operate. I've learned so much about myself during the "cuts" and "bulks" over the years. Research, don't be afraid to ask questions but the biggest bit of advice is don't give up. Adding muscle naturally takes time. Keep on keep'n on bro!
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I know all about bulking...oh...you said "lean" bulk... :o

Sorry...

Seriously, you're getting some good info here. GOOD LUCK!
  • pepper201084
    pepper201084 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    AKA Primal/Paleo

I agree with the paleo thing as that's hw I eat, protein mainly chicken,butter,heavy whipping cream,vegetables and fruit ...my question I have is how much protein should I eat. I'm trying to gain weight healthy eating only theese foods but no more than two pounds a week. I'm also 5'9 and slightly underweight. I want to gain purely muscle and already have definition in my arms,legs and stomach. I walk 30 min a day,do planks 4-8 min squats 40-80,leg lifts 40, inner thigh exersizes 40 ext....maily muscle building ...so how much protein would you suggest per day I used to eat 1 1/2 -2 pounds a day with only butter but now I'm trying to add in vegetables and find it hard to eat that much meat. I'm lost with what to do.BTW I want lean muscle not body builder muscle if that matters
  • IsaackGMOON
    edited August 2015
    Options
    AKA Primal/Paleo

I agree with the paleo thing as that's hw I eat, protein mainly chicken,butter,heavy whipping cream,vegetables and fruit ...my question I have is how much protein should I eat. I'm trying to gain weight healthy eating only theese foods but no more than two pounds a week. I'm also 5'9 and slightly underweight. I want to gain purely muscle and already have definition in my arms,legs and stomach. I walk 30 min a day,do planks 4-8 min squats 40-80,leg lifts 40, inner thigh exersizes 40 ext....maily muscle building ...so how much protein would you suggest per day I used to eat 1 1/2 -2 pounds a day with only butter but now I'm trying to add in vegetables and find it hard to eat that much meat. I'm lost with what to do.BTW I want lean muscle not body builder muscle if that matters

Macro framework;
    • 0.6-0.8g of protein per lb of body mass
    • 0.4-0.45g of fat per lb of body mass
    • fill rest of calories with carbs

Read the stickies - it's quite evident that you haven't grasped the basic principles of bulking.

It's inevitable that you're going to gain fat on a bulk... you can't avoid it.

Doing body weight exercises is an ok idea, but if you're wanting to put on more mass then I'd recommend a beginner barbell program such as;
    • New Rules of Lifting For Women
    • Strong Curves
    • ICF 5x5
    • Stronglifts 5x5
    BTW I want lean muscle not body builder muscle if that matters

This doesn't make any sense. Muscle is muscle, you don't get 'fatty muscle' or 'lean muscle' - muscle is muscle. Some people have more muscle than others. i.e. compare Ronnie Coleman to me... he has more muscle. There is no such thing as 'body builder muscle'.

Muscle is muscle.

Read the stickies.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    AKA Primal/Paleo

no, if you bulk doing primal/paleo you will still gain fat.

and fat does not make you fat …

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    AKA Primal/Paleo

Macro framework;
    • 0.6-0.8g of protein per lb of body mass
    • 0.4-0.45g of fat per lb of body mass
    • fill rest of calories with carbs

Read the stickies - it's quite evident that you haven't grasped the basic principles of bulking.

It's inevitable that you're going to gain fat on a bulk... you can't avoid it.

Doing body weight exercises is an ok idea, but if you're wanting to put on more mass then I'd recommend a beginner barbell program such as;
    • New Rules of Lifting For Women
    • Strong Curves
    • ICF 5x5
    • Stronglifts 5x5
    BTW I want lean muscle not body builder muscle if that matters

This doesn't make any sense. Muscle is muscle, you don't get 'fatty muscle' or 'lean muscle' - muscle is muscle. Some people have more muscle than others. i.e. compare Ronnie Coleman to me... he has more muscle. There is no such thing as 'body builder muscle'.

Muscle is muscle.

Read the stickies.

this ..

and honestly, you should start your own thread and not derail OP's…

• trevcarroll28
    trevcarroll28 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.. Appreciate it. Will keep posted...