Can I ask a dumb question????

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
Ok, I need to know something here. If my calorie limit is 1600 can I eat a diet of just donuts and big macs and LOSE weight? Not that I would ever do this of course but will I still lose weight eating at a deficit no matter what I eat? How important are cutting carbs for fat loss? Should I focus more on calorie cutting or carb cutting to lose fat?

Ok, that's more than one dumb question but I'm trying to figure out the best way to lose body fat.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    It's as "simple" as calories in/calories out. I had a friend tell me once while they were on their WeightWatchers diet, that they had a craving for doughnuts. They ate nothing but doughnuts one day and stayed within their points.

However, would you really want to FUEL and NOURISH your body with junk? The cleaner you eat, the better the results you will see.

Eat at a deficit and try to choose healthy foods. If you must eat junk, eat it in moderation.

Hope this helps.
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    As the above poster said...you simply wouldnt be as healthy internally as you would be if you had a diet of lean protein, fruit n vegies, whole grains etc. Your skin and hair would prolly look better as well :)
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    So does this also apply to alcohol? I can have a few drinks and still lose as long as I'm still within a deficit? Thanks!
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's all about calorie in/out.

I'm glad that you don't want to just eat Big Macs all day! LOL ;)

I, too, did Weight Watchers. What I like about WW/MFP, and not sticking to a particular plan where you have to purchase meals, can't eat carbs, etc, is that I have the option to eat something "bad" if I want or crave it, so long as I stay within my limits. IMO, if you deny yourself something that you realllllly want, you end up binging, and that's no bueno.

Once, on WW, I was CRAVING a taco bell salad like crazy. I calucated it into my day for dinner, then had low-point, nutrient rich lunch and snacks beforehand.

And last night, I was reallly wanting pasta from my favorite italian restaurant. I went there, and asked for a to-go box right as my meal was served. I ate 1/4 of the meal, and took the rest home to my honey.

I guess what I am saying is, if you want a big mac or donut, go ahead and have one if you have anough calories and macros to play with. Just don't eat only that! You'll feel like crap and probably develop diabeetus! LOL
  • Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is a bit different. Your body will metabolize the alcohol before ANYTHING else. Therefore while you're drinking and your body is metabolizing the alcohol, you won't lose anything and everything in excess will be stored as fat.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I drink alcohol and 75 lbs later say its not an issue as long as you stay within your calorie goals :drinker:
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is a bit different. Your body will metabolize the alcohol before ANYTHING else. Therefore while you're drinking and your body is metabolizing the alcohol, you won't lose anything and everything in excess will be stored as fat.

Um interesting theory, science to back it up please ?
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Ok, I need to know something here. If my calorie limit is 1600 can I eat a diet of just donuts and big macs and LOSE weight? Not that I would ever do this of course but will I still lose weight eating at a deficit no matter what I eat? How important are cutting carbs for fat loss? Should I focus more on calorie cutting or carb cutting to lose fat?

Ok, that's more than one dumb question but I'm trying to figure out the best way to lose body fat.

Thanks so much!
    well, yes, you COULD. but to me, the big issue would be the "IF". IF you could stay within your calorie limits. because, let's say, one (ONE) plain donut is 320 and 22 gram of fat. ONE big mac is 550 calories (no fries).(it is also 29 gram of fat and 46 gram of carbs and almost 1000 mg sodium). so you could have one and half donuts and two burgers. Do you think that will be enough for you for one day? so for me, then , the problem would be that i would probably want more food and you ran out of calories...
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    So does this also apply to alcohol? I can have a few drinks and still lose as long as I'm still within a deficit? Thanks!

yes.
    i was at 10% bodyfat for a period of a few months, and during that time I drank at least once per week. And I don't mean a drink or two, I drank my face off.
    However, I don't reccommend it.

If you have 1600 calories to work with for a day, and you're down to your last 400, you probably don't want to drink 3 beers. I'd much rather have another meal.

From time to time it wont hurt though.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You'd be pretty unhealthy and really hungry but it could be done.
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!
  • Toblave
    Options

Here's a few articles :-)

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/weight-loss/how-alcohol-affects-metabolism.html#b

http://www.livestrong.com/article/280263-alcohol-fat-burning/

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_does_alcohol_make_you_fat

http://www.askmen.com/sports/foodcourt_300/307_drink-without-gaining-weight.html
  • VegKate
    VegKate Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I drink alcohol and 75 lbs later say its not an issue as long as you stay within your calorie goals :drinker:

Yep, this. I've lost every week on my glass-of-wine-a-day program.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    In the small scope, of course you can. All weight loss consists of is eating at a caloric deficit until you reach your goal weight.
    You can live on Big Macs until you hit goal if you want to try it. You will be hungry though, cause those suckers eat a lot of calories :wink:

Plus the damage you do to your circulatory system (can you say plaque build up and high cholesterol?) But if weight loss is your only goal then enjoy yourself.

You COULD try striking a balance by eating heart healthier choices and every now and then have a Big Mac day. You could even try taking walks to increase your net calories so you can have your Mac and donut too.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options

I have to say, if I cut out my alcohol then the weight would be falling off faster, but hell, it IS falling off at a rate I'm happy with, and although I've cut out my absolute favourites of beer and red wine for low cal tonic and gin/vodka, you won't see me going teetotal! I don't often eat takeout and rarely to never eat donuts etc. I make sure I'm within my calorie allowance too.
  • Toblave
    Options
    I've drank and have lost more than 100 but it will slow your progress if you drink too much too often even if you stay within your calorie limits.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Drinking allows one to go on adventures. Adventures burn calories. It's a fact. In fact, it's Science.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTJ5Y8eAyc2es5BR1-WhqMApKom_pjAJnCZZHq2uihdpzj2d6f
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Drinking allows one to go on adventures. Adventures burn calories. It's a fact. In fact, it's Science.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTJ5Y8eAyc2es5BR1-WhqMApKom_pjAJnCZZHq2uihdpzj2d6f

FAVOURITE post of today.
  • dkgoetz
    dkgoetz Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yes, you could still lose. You might feel worse in the process though - not getting all your nutrients would start to affect you after a while. If you do have a craving for something - I say go for it, but log it and plan the rest of your day around it.

The only difference with alcohol is that it's easier to lose track of how much you're drinking and usually people don't measure out a serving :]
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options

It's true. Your body will process the alcohol first because it treats it like a toxin. The alcohol itself doesn't get stored as fat, but it offsets the use of other things that will be (dietary fat, for example). The end result is alcohol counts toward your calories.