question about rolled oats

Options
Im making granola and the calories for the rolled oats are 190 calories per 1/2 dry. I assume that if I was to have 1/2 cup the oats baked it would be the same right? The oats are not going to double in size without liquid. Im doing the recipe builder and Im not sure why this is so confusing to me ha.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yep, same.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Yep, same.

thank you! I'm blaming the day wine i had today on my foggy brain ha!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Yep, same.

thank you! I'm blaming the day wine i had today on my foggy brain ha!

SNORT!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    Im making granola and the calories for the rolled oats are 190 calories per 1/2 dry. I assume that if I was to have 1/2 cup the oats baked it would be the same right? The oats are not going to double in size without liquid. Im doing the recipe builder and Im not sure why this is so confusing to me ha.

I suggest you weigh those oats for a correct calorie count, and you need to make sure they are dry. Here's what I do:
    1. Weigh each ingredient and put it into recipe builder. Decide servings. You will have an approximate calorie count for each serving.
    2. Weigh recipe once it's baked. I suggest parchment paper to line the dish prior to baking so it will easily come out.
    3. Put the plate on the scale and tare it to zero. Make sure it's set to grams.
    4. Take the place off the scale (but don't tare again), put it on your baked dish, turn it upside down, and put it on the scale. Since your plate weight is accounted, you will now will get the total weight of your recipe in grams. Divide this by the number of servings and write down the grams, as well as the calories and macros derived from the recipe.
    5. I now have the calorie count and number of servings. Under my foods, I enter in the name (I put my initials next to my descriptions), the calories, number of servings, calories, and macros. Done!

By entering my recipe into my foods, I can adjust the grams if I want less or more of a serving.

The above sounds harder than it really is, and it takes little time.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I weigh them before I bake them and use that weight. If I measured, I'd do it just like you.

If you bake the oats, then mix them with the other stuff before baking the whole mess, they taste better, IMO. :)