What's worth a splurge?

So Saturday night was an awesome night for me in terms of company, conversation, and just general happy times. Not such an awesome night for my food diary though ... I went 500+ calories over target. But you know what? I don't regret it at all. (Well, maybe the fourth glass of wine a little :p )

It's not like I do this every night, I've been under target every other day this week, it was tasty food cooked for me by someone I care about, and today's a new day and I'm right back on track. For me, that's worth a calorie splurge.

What do you guys think?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    I go under and over my goal all the time. I don't even consider it a thing.

Sticking to X number of calories a day for life? Not for me.
  • 555_FILK
    555_FILK Posts: 86 Member
    1. Chocolate.
    2. Chocolate.
    3. Chocolate.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Talenti. Pretty much any flavor.

And wine.
  • courtneymig
    courtneymig Posts: 9 Member
    Cookie dough ice cream!!!!!
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Half a bottle of vodka after purposefully staying sober for 3 months. And usually Dairy Queen BOGO stuff.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    edited August 2015
    I like to bank a few extra calories each day so that I can feel free to splurge as desired during unplanned events. Most of the things I want to splurge on are sweets. The acai smoothie bowls at work, coconut milk ice cream, almond butter, muffins, good bagels, sourdough breads, honey eaten off a spoon...

Oh god, now I just want to get the giant jar of honey out of the cabinet and dip toast in it.
  • RBracken34
    RBracken34 Posts: 90 Member
    Eating out at a nice place is always a reason to splurge for me. As the sole parent of a toddler, I rarely get to do that anymore, so when I do, I throw caution to the wind!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Margaritas
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    For me, surf and turf followed by a big piece of baked cheesecake. Definitely work the thousands of calories.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Cake
    Steak
    Bacon
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Yup! Husband and I have a monthly date night. That meal just gets 2000kcal logged for it and I nom all the foods, including the dessert!

I figure I'm going for a sustainable lifestyle here, and part of that for me is enjoying date nights!

Other than that I'll splurge for something good. Cafeteria dessert, nah. A malted milk from the fancy ice cream store....maybe. Cannoli at Veniero's in NYC? Oh hell yes!
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    edited August 2015
    - chocolate
    - cheesecake
    - coffee and cake with the girls at a great cafe
    - the burger I buy after my fortnightly Saturday shift

If my splurges do go over my goal they don't typically take me over maintenance.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I go under and over my goal all the time. I don't even consider it a thing.

Sticking to X number of calories a day for life? Not for me.

Same here. Heck I can go 1400 over and make up for it in less than a week.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    If I do a good sea of cardio, I can eat 1000 calories and it is no big deal

It isn't really a splurge.

Doing a great cardio workout and making room for 1000 calories, that is worth a splurge once in a while

I'm not on a calorie restricted diet to splurge frequently and stay on it

I want to get 15 lbs off and
    Go to maintaining mode!!
  • amoynoodle
    amoynoodle Posts: 46 Member
    I'm going to Italy in a couple of weeks for a long weekend, and I fully intend on having at least one scoop of gelato every single day! :D
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    Dessert is always worth a splurge. Waiting for the money to buy one of these new Blizzards (mini is 400 calories):
    BOM_Nestle-Drumstick_448x300.jpg?width=448&height=300
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Pizza! :) And a good dark beer, very cold. Especially that cold beer when it's 100+ degrees outside like it's been for what feels like weeks and weeks. ugh
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Grilled BBQ pork ribs!!
  • supersocks117
    supersocks117 Posts: 169 Member
    Stuff that tastes good :) Usually an "I know it when I see it" scenario.

But I am learning as good as pizza tastes, it is not one of those foods for me. It just doesn't fill me up at all. I might still have some going forward but when I log it I feel like "really, 300 calories?" Whereas with say a bowl of popcorn with butter (a big bowl) I can have 300 calories and feel like "Ok, I enjoyed that, I feel reasonably full, my crunchy/salty craving was met, I feel pretty good about saving my calories for that."

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    For me, surf and turf followed by a big piece of baked cheesecake. Definitely work the thousands of calories.

I always assumed Surf and Turf was strictly an American thing, at least the name. I learned something important.