having a hard time with 1200 calorie goal

Options

Replies

• ClareDoherty42
    ClareDoherty42 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The only way I've found 1,200cals sustainable is having 3 meals of 3-400cals and a couple of snacks. Having a big breakfast seems to help.
  • dinia07
    dinia07 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Carnhot wrote: »
    Oh crumbs! If you have just had a baby, let alone two babes, all bets are off! Give yourself a chance to deal with this major change in your life properly nourished for the task. Congratulations! :)
    Thanks! My eldest son is only 11 months. My twins are preemies. I'm also a working mom. I'm wondering why I'm not losing weight with this kind of situation.
  • dinia07
    dinia07 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the birth of your twins , it's a good idea to make sure you have established a good milk supply for your babies before you start dieting, I read somewhere that a breastfeeding mother should eat at least 1800 calories per day. Twins may need more milk making calories, so you could probably eat over 1800 calories . I remember eating heaps when my babies were young. I would recommend talking to your doctor or nurse about calorie recommendations while breastfeeding. Good luck with it all and enjoy your lovely little babies!

With my first baby i lose weight fast without dieting because of breastfeeding but now for some reasons I cannot breastfed my preemie twins.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    peedubb23 wrote: »
    Focus on eliminating "bread, beer, pizza, pasta, cookies and cake". In other words, reduce bad carbs and empty calories. Next DONT eat after 6 pm. Lastly exercise 3 times a week for 30 min. Then if you must count calories, allow 1500-1800 a day.

Nope. Just no to all of this. The time of the day that you eat is irrelevant for weight loss. And this OP has three kids under one years old...so pretty sure she should eat dinner whenever she gets a chance! While exercise is great for health and fitness, it's not required to lose weight. And there is nothing inherently wrong with carbs. If you can fit a slice of cake or beer into your daily allowance and it's enjoyable for you then great.

These kinds of 'rules' might work for you but they are not objectively true or useful for everyone.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Focus on eliminating "bread, beer, pizza, pasta, cookies and cake". In other words, reduce bad carbs and empty calories. Next DONT eat after 6 pm. Lastly exercise 3 times a week for 30 min. Then if you must count calories, allow 1500-1800 a day.

sy4qf7z4tzzj.jpg

lolnope.jpg to all of this advice...

OP, eat at 1500 calories.

• enkiemonkey
    enkiemonkey Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I tried 1200 quite a few times and it became just too stressful and defeating when I go over it. In the past 13 days I've done 1600 and it's so much more manageable. Since I also try to hit 10,000 steps a day I also have activity calorie deficit. So far I've lost 6 lbs (which I'm sure 3 -4 are water weight lbs).
  • hrtchoco
    hrtchoco Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure you have to eat a lot more if you are breast feeding.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    If you have an 11-month-old and twins babies I think you're already doing weight lifting every day. You know...pick up kid, put down kid, pick up other kid, put down other kid, pick up both babies, move babies over there, pick up other kid, put down other kid when a baby cries, pick up one kid to change diaper, put down kid, pick up another kid... :smiley: Not to mention picking up toys all day long, lugging babies in carriers to the car, lifting 11-month-old into and out of car....etc., etc. Omg.

Eat more. You will be happier all round. Try to get enough sleep (hahaha, aren't I a hoot?), stay hydrated. Go for walks with the stroller if you can. Pat yourself on the back for managing all that goes along with having three young children!
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Huh. How have I managed to lose over 40 lbs eating bread, pizza, pasta cookies and cake? AND eating after 6 every day?

No eating after 6? For a working mom with 3 babies? Really?

For anyone in the world with a standard 9-5 job, how is this even doable?

What planet are you on?

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

Wow, so much bad advice in so few words!
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    If you are nursing make sure to log that in activity also. I don't know how much I believe it's really 500 calories per day so If I were you just make sure that you are eating enough nutrients and not feeling too hungry if your body is producing milk. I was always SO HUNGRY when I wad nursing all of mine. (mother of 4)
  • RBracken34
    RBracken34 Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Says a man who I'm pretty sure has never birthed twins... no. Just no. First of all, I just ate cookies with my breakfast and I've lost almost 40lbs in 3 months on a 1200 calorie diet. Secondly, even if you're not nursing, a post partum body needs extra calories for healing no matter how you birthed your babies. Bump your activity level to active because lifting babies all day on two hours of sleep is an active lifestyle. Period. And start out with a higher calorie target and when you feel better lower it gradually... worked for me. Once I got down to 1200, eating veggies and lean protein helps me stay feeling full longer. Hang in there and congrats on the new babes!!
  • esmesqualor
    esmesqualor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    dinia07 wrote: »
    Maybe I should do 1500 cal. Thanks everyone. I think i shouldn't rush in losing 25 lbs excess weight. Anyway I just gave birth to my twins 8 weeks ago. Too tired and starving. :(

You must be kind to yourself! 8 week old twins and an 11 month old! My goodness girl, feed your body with lots of very healthy foods. And, if you are breastfeeding you need even more calories. Your body may not be quite ready to lose weight yet. Try tracking your food and eating as healthy as you can with nutrient dense foods (lots of fresh veggies and fruit, lean protein, whole grains). You are most likely exhausted which makes weight loss difficult.
  • jumee_ahmed
    jumee_ahmed Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the birth of your twins , it's a good idea to make sure you have established a good milk supply for your babies before you start dieting, I read somewhere that a breastfeeding mother should eat at least 1800 calories per day. Twins may need more milk making calories, so you could probably eat over 1800 calories . I remember eating heaps when my babies were young. I would recommend talking to your doctor or nurse about calorie recommendations while breastfeeding. Good luck with it all and enjoy your lovely little babies!

• jumee_ahmed
    Options
    I have lost 2 kg in 12 days:) I feel 1200 calories is quite easy!!
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

Yeah but how much of that is fat... water or muscle? lol.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You just gave birth. Give your body time to heal.

If you're pumping or nursing, you need waaaaaaaaaaaaay more calories. For a singleton it should be at the very very very minimum 1500 calories, but in most cases should be 1800+. For twins it'd be much more. You need to make sure you consume enough to sustain and build your supply.

But for goodness sakes give yourself time and more slack. Your body just went through some major stuff.
  • jumee_ahmed
    Options

Yeah but how much of that is fat... water or muscle? lol.

Today is the 12th day Of my 1200 calories so I don't know lol
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options

Yes, and did you just have twins a short time ago? And do you have an 11-month-old on top of that? I too am managing on 1200 but my answer to the twins/11-mth-old question is a loud NO. So we can't compare the two situations at all! I sit at my computer for a lot of the day, writing. I would bet the OP hardly ever gets a chance to sit down. She needs more calories than I do, hands down.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    dinia07 wrote: »
    Maybe I should do 1500 cal. Thanks everyone. I think i shouldn't rush in losing 25 lbs excess weight. Anyway I just gave birth to my twins 8 weeks ago. Too tired and starving. :(

Smart choice. Congrats on the birth of the twins. Really, don't push yourself too hard while you are adjusting and sleep deprived.