Pre portioning meat.

Options
bn08cup4pfu5.jpg

Freshly portioned protein for the week (or two)

Replies

• OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Man, I wish I had that much room in my freezer!
    I almost always just cook for myself. Buy Ground chuck, chicken thighs, and pork chops in those family packs and divvy 'em up for the freezer. Also do it with stuff like an 8 lb. pork butt. Carve it into 1 1/2 lb chunks and one of those, the best one, will have the bone. Label with a sharpie and masking tape.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I would waste so much food doing that. I would have to write the weight on each bag instead of trying to get an even 5oz or something.
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I would waste so much food doing that. I would have to write the weight on each bag instead of trying to get an even 5oz or something.

When I do it, I just estimate my cuts, so if it's 350g of steak I cut the first one, hoping for around 115g, then I weigh it and cut the remaining in half to get 3 roughly 115g pieces. Sometimes I accidentally get like 140g, 100g and 110g, so I eat the bigger piece if I'm having a lower calorie day. I've gotten really good at it though. I never waste anything.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    A food saver (vacuum sealer) and a stand up freezer were probably the best purchases I've ever made. Kudos - looks great!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    That is really cool. :star::star::star:
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    WELL DONE!
    I keep my own stash, because if I do not, Katie bar the door....lol
    I could be off and running down a wrong road.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    Man, I wish I had that much room in my freezer!
    I almost always just cook for myself. Buy Ground chuck, chicken thighs, and pork chops in those family packs and divvy 'em up for the freezer. Also do it with stuff like an 8 lb. pork butt. Carve it into 1 1/2 lb chunks and one of those, the best one, will have the bone. Label with a sharpie and masking tape.

Now that it's all frozen I can stack them neatly without them fusing to each other. We tend to not keep a lot of food on hand so real estate is not an issue lol.
  • Drewlssix
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I have gotten pretty good at the cuts, atleast for the sausage. The chicken varys a bit more and the last bag has lots of trimmings in it to balance things out.

The tubular sausage is easy to cut to perfect portions though, I can just cut and stack them on the scale and watch the total go up by 2oz on average then bag the discs. and it's the inexpensive non spiced kind that I season/spice as I see fit for any given use.

• Drewlssix
    edited August 2015
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    That is really cool. :star::star::star:

Thank you :D
  • Drewlssix
    Options
    WELL DONE!
    I keep my own stash, because if I do not, Katie bar the door....lol
    I could be off and running down a wrong road.

Thank you!
  • Drewlssix
    Options
    A food saver (vacuum sealer) and a stand up freezer were probably the best purchases I've ever made. Kudos - looks great!

Would like both of those, luckily meat dosent have to sit to long so it's never wasted but some other items tend to go bad and I hate wasting them.