Tattoos and Working out

Options
mcibty
mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
Hiya,

Just booked a tattoo for August and I'm wondering when I'll be able to workout again? I'm (hoping) by August I'll be maintaining, rather than hitting it as hard as I do now, so I'll get away with doing gentler exercise. I don't want to not work out, but I don't want to jepordise the healing of the tattoo, as it's going to be fairly large, on my ribs.

Replies

• Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I have lots of tattoos and I have been able to work out with them no problem.

ETA: I have a full sleeve that has been constantly worked on every 3 weeks.
  • JustCallMe_Tanya_Eh
    JustCallMe_Tanya_Eh Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I have alot of tattoos and it never stopped me from working out
  • mrs_castro
    mrs_castro Posts: 11
    Options
    I just got a tattoo on my foot. And was wearing shoes working out the next day :)
  • ChelsieDOSH
    Options
    You'll probably just have to go easy on whatever area you're getting the tattoo on.
  • TracyJo93
    TracyJo93 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I didn't work out for two or three days. It was on the back of my shoulder and hurt to lift weights and I didn't want to get it really sweaty with cardio. After that you'll be fine! Make sure to wash it really good with antibacterial soup and use whatever lotion your artist recommends!
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Cool - I know I'm over-thinking it, but worth being safe!
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I have one on my back that I've been getting work done on every couple weeks for a couple months and it hasn't slowed me down one bit. Just keep up with your regular after care and it shouldn't be an issue.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Depends on where it is and how big but it shouldn't be a big issue.
  • Spartan_Chick
    Options
    Yep. I've worked out the day after having work done. I'd just slather some tattoo goo or something similar over it to keep the sweat out of any open wounds.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends on where you're having your tattoo as to whether you're able to continue working out. I had a half sleeve done last year (my first) and it didn't stop me from training.
  • MustangUSN
    MustangUSN Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Husband works out religiously. Morning exercise includes sit ups, push ups and 2-5 mile run. Just had 2 different fairly large tats on his abdomen (either side of rib cage) and it didn't affect his morning routine whatsoever. Guess it all depends on how you feel.
  • TitzMcGeez
    TitzMcGeez Posts: 104
    Options
    I've got quite a few tattoos, even one on the foot. never stopped me from working out :)
  • clobern
    clobern Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Lifting or running or whatever you do won't matter with a tattoo. As long as you aren't scraping it on something, you should be fine. It might be sore, but it shouldn't damage the tattoo if you're working out with a fresh one. I got my tattoo recently on Saturday and was in the gym on Monday since Sat/Sun were my rest days.
  • nhouse3417
    nhouse3417 Posts: 105
    Options
    I just got a new tattoo on Sunday on my foot and I didnt go Monday or Tuesday to the gym because I didnt want to put my foot in my shoe yet. Today I would have gone if I wasnt up all night not feeling well. So you can just use your judgement, on your pain and healing. Good luck! I am wanting one on my ribs now as well!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I did 6-8 hour sessions and it only stopped me for a few days at the maximum because my ankle swelled up like I was a pregnant lady!
  • BioMechHeretic
    BioMechHeretic Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Not sure how short these people's sessions are, but I always sit for 6/7 hours at a time. There is NO way you would want to work out for 2-3 days after that, if your working out is actually strenuous physical working out. Generally I will do nothing for 3 days, light isolated weights away from the healing area and light cardio for 3 days and THEN back into the full swing.

If you're getting a small piece of flash or some little one to two hour postage stamp piece then yes that healing time will shrink.

It's on your body for the rest of your life, you can spare a few days of not working out and eating a little lighter to compensate some.
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    It won't stop you from working out, but you don't want to goto the gym for a couple days til the skin heals. There are alot of germs in the gym. You don't want them getting in your open wounds.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Hitting the gym shouldn't be a problem. Just don't swim in a chlorinated pool. I've heard it can bleach the ink in a new tattoo that hasn't healed.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Not sure how short these people's sessions are, but I always sit for 6/7 hours at a time. There is NO way you would want to work out for 2-3 days after that, if your working out is actually strenuous physical working out. Generally I will do nothing for 3 days, light isolated weights away from the healing area and light cardio for 3 days and THEN back into the full swing.

If you're getting a small piece of flash or some little one to two hour postage stamp piece then yes that healing time will shrink.

It's on your body for the rest of your life, you can spare a few days of not working out and eating a little lighter to compensate some.

^^This....size, placement, etc.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Really depends. I got a 6-7 hour piece on my back last summer. I couldn't even wear a bra for a few days because I was so sore. A few days later I was good to go...