Depressed and Needing Support

Options
Hi everyone,

I am stuck at 200 pounds. This is so depressing because I am exercising almost every day and staying within my calories. I'm not drinking water like I should....would that be the reason? Any helpful advice or ideas are needed. Thanks!

Replies

• RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Are you eating any of your exercise calories? Have you tried changing up your workout routine? Your body might be ready for somethign different.
  • Dangelosmom09
    Options
    What i found is the reason is you need to boost up your workout. Your body might be use to the workout you are doing and needs more of a challenge. I would add another 30 minutes of Cardio or 45 minutes. Works for me!
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    Try upping your water and see if that helps. I was stuck for a while and started drinking more water (and I cut out my nightly glass of wine) and my weight loss picked up again! Make sure you are eating some or all of your exercise cals too, that should keep you fueled and keep your metabolism going. Are you doing any strength training?

Don't be depressed, just give it time!
  • MariaATX
    MariaATX Posts: 14
    Options
    Hang in there! There is usually a pretty simple reason, I would recommend making your food diary public, the most likely reason is diet. There may be calories that are not accounted for. let's start there.

It will take time...you are doing great!
  • tuesgirl1031
    tuesgirl1031 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    First of all, look at your success....your trying! Thats the important thing.. Keep doing what your doing.
  • cj0725
    cj0725 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. I was eating my 1200 cals (and the extras I earned from working out) and hit an early plateau. I just up'd my calories to 1500 on Monday and finally lost a pound this week. I do drink the water (sometimes only 6 cups but on hard workout days, I definitely drink all and then some). I don't know if that will work for you, but maybe start with drinking more water then adjust the workout or calorie intake from there.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I find that changing it up always helps. Mix up your meals (if you tend to eat the same stuff all the time), yes drink lots of water, do different workouts, even cycling your calories can help. Keep that body guessing! :wink: I also found that eliminating as many processed things, preservatives and chemicals as you can really helps. If you drink alcohol, many find that cutting it out for a while will help them - even if you work it into your daily calories.

As others have said, it takes time, and sometimes you'll stall out for a bit. But don't give up on the commitment to yourself, it will pay off. :heart: Good luck!
  • susielou
    susielou Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Plateaus happen. It stinks, but it's a reality. Shake things up a little. More water is good. It's REALLY hard for me to drink the amount we are supposed to, so I'm trying to increase gradually. Change up some of the food and exercise. Surprise your body and brain! :drinker: (here's us drinking more water! Good luck and hang in there!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Make sure you arent eating your calories and than exercising resulting in you not eating enough? This could make your body go into starvation mode. Just stick with it!
  • scottc
    scottc Posts: 72
    Options
    Thanks for all the support. I'll try to figure out how to make my food diary public. I'll also make sure to drink more water. I can definitely change up my workouts-usually I do a strong (free weights 3lbs/5lbs) class on M/W, water aerobics on M, swim 500yards on T/TH/F. I also walk for 35 minutes at least 2 times a week. Do I need to do more? Maybe have a day on the elliptical or cycling? Since I belong to a gym, those and many other exercise routines are definitely an option.

I'm definitely going to stick with it, but I just hope I see some change in the way my clothes fit or what my scale says. I do feel like my muscles are getting stronger though!

Again, thanks so much.
  • HeatherCanDoIt
    HeatherCanDoIt Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hi, I feel that for my weight loss, water makes a huge difference. If I don't get in all of my 6L of water a day I notice a difference on the scale for sure.
    Good Luck!
  • scotty_81
    scotty_81 Posts: 59
    Options
    This will tell you all you need to know! Good luck breaking through the dreaded plateau.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/SimonLondon/view/how-to-break-a-plateau-when-your-weight-stops-dropping-28138
  • may212004
    may212004 Posts: 1
    Options
    It will come, hang in there! Try not to sink into depression because that along with too much stress also causes you to gain weight. Definitely get on the water, and read the bottom comments when you post your diary. Also you might be doing too much in terms of exercise because your body also needs the time to rest...in other words, make sure you're getting enough sleep as well. And remember that while you're adding muscle you might not see as much change for awhile, but then the muscle will help you burn more calories and get you back to losing! You can do it!!!
  • lildebbie
    lildebbie Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    I was looking at your food diary, and i definetly think you aren't eating enough...I was getitng frustrated on not loosing and going to the gym and eating low calorie, but then i was netting under 1000 each day (which seems to be waht you are are doing), so then i moved up to eating a new of at least 1200 cals...and made a huge improvement, and now i am eating all my normal cals pluse at least 1/2 of my exercise cals, and doing even better.

With all the activity you are doing you need more calories..i am not an expert by any means, just from my own experience.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I looked at your food diary and my best suggestion right now might be to try eating some of your exercise calories. Try for half. I had this same problem and when I started eating at least half of them back I start losing again. Your body probably needs more fuel. Also maybe try and eat a bigger breakfast? Don't be frustrated. It's all about learning what your body likes. Good luck and hang in there! You're doing great!
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    Have you tried measuring yourself because sometimes the loss stop as far as lbs go and the inches start shredding but its only momentarily.....Have you tried reaccessing your work outs? you do need to keep up the water though, that keeps your body hydrated enough to where your body releases all the icky stuff....