Leaving food?

Options
13»

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry, stop eating. If you're doing it just to say you did, you're doing it wrong.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. I only get 1440 cals a day for maintenance. When I finish my allotted amount for each meal, I'm barely satisfied, or not actually satisfied at all, and have to have another serving of low cal vegetables. I suppose if I had leftovers and were not hungry enough to finish them, I would just put them in some tupperware and stick them in the fridge. I would not throw away food unless it is the kind of thing that doesn't keep, like lettuce that would wilt and get nasty or something. So... get some storage containers and put your leftovers in there. Can be used in an omelette later or something.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Make a smaller plate next time.
  • eshnna
    eshnna Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My abuelita would slap me if I don't eat the whole thing as it is bad manners haha. Maybe my abuelita is the reason I love food so much!

If I have it, logged it. I eat it.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I usually leave a small portion if my meals uneaten, even after I've already logged them in advance. I like to grab small handfuls of this and that to snack in throughout the day, and I tend not to log those, so the calories from the uneaten portions of meals compensate for that. Works for me.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I log my food, and if I'm hungry I'll eat it all, but I'll stop if I get too full.

I've never worried about leaving food on the plate.

The world produces far more food than it needs. The hunger problem is distribution, not supply. Nobody's going to starve if I don't eat the last few mouthfuls once in a while.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Start reducing the serving size of your meals but if you are satisfied, then its fine to leave it.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I think its essential to realise when you are full and stop eating- even if that means leaving a few bites. I don't think it's wrong to waste food- it's wrong to treat your body like a bin and fill it full of stuff you don't want.

I tend to put my left overs in a tupperware tub and use them for pre-logged snacks.

The other day I ate too much chcocolate that I felt ill (500 cals) and it made me realise that for food like that it is easier for me to walk away when I don't want any more because I've sickened myself than it is to walk away while I'm still enjoying it. This is useful information for me- something I don't think I fully understood.
  • zombiemusicgirl
    zombiemusicgirl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Eh. That's backwards thinking to me. I would benefit more from buying a whole bag of chips or jar of peanut butter (my happy foods), and practicing moderation and weighing the appropriate portion out of the container, rather than selecting a portion and training myself to leave some behind.

This.

Sometimes it can be easy to overthink stuff when it comes to eating. I think too much rather than listening to the cues my body gives me. I've overthought myself right into gaining back weight every time I've lost it.

Keep it simple and take it one meal at a time. Eat if you're hungry, stop if you aren't. Don't give up if you take a step back.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,250 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand the question. You already logged the whole plate. Eat it if you want. If you're not hungry enough for it all...eat it later.

I feel like i've had enough to eat before the plate is empty, but keep eating because i logged it all and there is still food on the plate

Put it in the fridge and heat it up for an evening snack.

• Machka9
    Options
    Is it good practice to always leave a small amount of your meal on your plate to teach yourself that it's okay to leave food? Sometimes i'll think okay i'm satisfied now, i could finish here and leave the rest. But then i end up eating the rest of it anyway because the plates not empty.

I put the calories in before i eat so i've logged the whole plate, but what do you do / how do you make yourself leave the rest if you're satisfied? Won't you just be hungry soon anyway if you leave some of your meal?

If you've logged it and it fits into your goal I don't fully understand the why of it.

Because many people always finish what is on their plate even if they have had enough to eat before the plate is empty, so wondered if some people make sure they leave something to retrain this?

I have a certain number of calories I allow myself for meals. So I eat that many calories.

• Machka9
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I don't really understand the question. You already logged the whole plate. Eat it if you want. If you're not hungry enough for it all...eat it later.
    Well said.

As for me, elephants will roost in trees before I ever leave food on my plate.

Yeah me too ... I'm the one licking the bowl to get the last morsel!! :lol:

Which is why whatever I make is a certain number of calories, and I am free to finish every last crumb if I want. :)

My issue is that I could usually go for a second plateful ... or even thirds ... but after that first plate, I just make myself a cup of tea, and tell myself I'm done.