Knee Clicking

Options
bakerkate221
bakerkate221 Posts: 52 Member
edited August 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
For the past few years, my right knee has been making an audible clicking sound (with a slight sort of grinding sensation, not painful) when I'm going up stairs. I saw a doctor about it a while ago, and he said it was harmless and not likely to worsen.

I've recently started weight training, which includes doing barbell squats. My knee is still doing the clicky/grindy thing when I do squats, but it doesn't hurt or alter my form at all. I guess I wanted to see if anyone else has this, whether it was diagnosed as something, and opinions as to whether I'm courting an injury.

Related question: would it be useful to wear some kind of a neoprene sleeve over my knee to provide support?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    Clicking is more than likely synovial fluid passing through the joint (think cracking your knuckles here). Not uncommon to have this happen with age. IF there is acute pain the persists though, then you should have it assessed by an orthopedist.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My right knee clicks anytime I walk at 3.5 mph or higher. My ortho said it was completely harmless. He said unless it starts hurting or "catching," not to worry about it.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    My knees have 'clicked' since I was about 12 years old...they've never hurt and I'm much older now (grandma of 6)and I'm able to do anything physically I want to do ie biking, swimming, squatting. I used to find it a bit embarrassing.
  • bakerkate221
    bakerkate221 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Okay, good to know. Unless it starts actually hurting, I won't worry about it. Thanks!