Staying within calories during the weekend

Options
I've been noticing a pattern where I generally eat healthy and stay within my limit during the week, but come the weekend, it's calorie city!

Got any tips for staying within your calories when you go out to eat, go to the movies, etc.?

Replies

• bigrach97
    bigrach97 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's hard, but it can be done. For me, if I go out, I try to look for healthier options on the menu. Menus usually have a special section for just healthy options. Always ask if you can substitute greasy sides with veggies. For the movies, buy snacks ahead of time at Walmart or something. I tend to buy dark chocolate covered fruit to eat during movies. It's so much better than the sugar and fat filled candy they sell at movie theaters. Gum also helps me to not eat so much. It's always ok to enjoy yourselves in the weekend though. Just do your best sweetie! :)
  • IronBatMaiden
    IronBatMaiden Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Another option is to eat less during the week... Even 100 less calories a day leaves you 500 extra calories to spend on the week end.

My tip? I've realized that lower calorie food is as tasty, heck often tastier, than some higher calorie options, so it's not like I'm depriving myself when I pick those (obviously, I don't count Chinese steamed chicken and veggies in there. Yuck). And to be honest by now I don't crave fried food or food with sauces anymore, so it helps.

Bottom line though is that I just think of what I want to eat. If it's something I've been wanting to eat for a while, I'll splurge on it (as long as it's a good place and not some amusement park food or something). If I don't particularly crave something, I just pick something lower calories. I won't eat pizza just because it's there when I would just be as satisfied with a salad or some grilled chicken and veggies, for example. Same for dessert (which is my downfall really). Like, right now I've been wanting pie for a while, so if I end up in a place that has some, I might go for it... but I'll pass on cheesecake etc.

But that's my way of life now, I pretty much always have to think of what I want to eat to plan meals anyway, so typically I try to satisfy my cravings with lower calorie versions at home, that way it's easier to pass on the high calorie stuff when I go out.

For movies, I stopped eating things there. I avoid eating things mindlessly while watching something now. If I want ice cream (it was always my go-to for movies), I'll just have it at home and really enjoy it. But I never eat anything while watching TV anymore either.