Restarters: What's different this time?

Options
If you're here because you're restarting, have previously tried losing weight, but didn't quite work out and so now you're trying again... then i have two questions about how you are ensuring success this time :smile:

1. What's different about the diet you're using this time?

2. What are you doing differently this time to make sure you can stick to it long term?

Replies

• wiggawaggle
    wiggawaggle Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    For me: i'm trying to make sure i'm more realistic about calories. So having one day a week of eating maintainance calories and trying to make sure i don't keep having days under 1200 calories.
  • Butterflies_And_Chaos_
    Options
    I decided to stop dieting and to make sustainable lifestyle changes instead, and that is making a world of difference in my mindset :smile:
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    This time I'm not cutting out any 'bad' foods. If I want a treat, I make it fit :)
  • cherries12345
    cherries12345 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Good question!
    1) Try to work treats into my daily calories and avoid all out binge days,etc.
    2) Stay accountable on MFP and actually stick to it until I reach my goal and into maintenance a little as well,so I know how to eat to avoid bouncing back(which I know all too well, unfortunately).
  • cherries12345
    cherries12345 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    natboosh69 wrote: »
    This time I'm not cutting out any 'bad' foods. If I want a treat, I make it fit :)

Yep! Exactly this!
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Same diet. Now using a food scale.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    It's hard to pinpoint. I am on the same site (MFP), with the same method (calorie counting), and the same limit (1200). Although, I do have a Fitbit this time around.
    I think the main thing is that I truly want it (more than food) this time. There are millions of paths to a healthy weight, but they all start with someone who is truly ready...
  • ARC1603
    ARC1603 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I decided to stop dieting and to make sustainable lifestyle changes instead, and that is making a world of difference in my mindset :smile:

This!

My goals are also totally different. I'm not focused on purely image and how I look. I'm more concerned with how I feel in myself.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options

The road of success is paved with the stones of failure.

Losing weight and getting fit has always seemed so simple, but it's just hard to do.
    I failed so many times starting out after always experiencing initial success.

And I just kept going...starting over again and again. Remember, you may fail, but you're not a failure until you stop trying. At the end of this journey, I lost 100 pounds over 2 years and have maintained that for almost 3 years now.

I did not win every battle, but I won the war...and the effort continues...

Good Luck <3
  • Feening2BFit
    Feening2BFit Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm on an anti-inflammatory diet due to severe back pain and arthritis. This means no sugar, no wheat or grains, no trans fat or vegetable oils, not drinking calories, and avoiding all processed food.

Before I was on Weight Watchers and I've done calorie counting. They both work at losing weight, but my body can't handle 'regular' foods anymore.

I've been on this new diet since January, lost 63 lbs so far, and have ZERO pain in my body.

I am now calorie counting, but keeping with only my foods allowed. It's hard. I do slip up occasionally. I need my ice cream, but it's maybe once or twice a month.
  • alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    This time I am turning 40 and it is time to make my health a priority over everything else. This time I plan to be consistent, even if I have a few bad days, I will not quit.
  • morning_joy
    morning_joy Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    This time...I am starting with basic steps and adding a new habit each week. I find I try to do everything the first week and when that doesn't work, I give up. This time, I am starting with checking in hear each day to find people to motivate me who will hold me accountable. (by the way, if you would like to be one of those people, let me know). I am working on weekly goals instead of total goals. I am changing the way I eat instead of trying to only eat a certain way for a brief period of time. and I am going to celebrate every victory!!
  • loverunbefit
    loverunbefit Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    WHat's different is that I'm not on a 'diet'- it's a lifestyle change.

I don't think of it in terms of how much weight I'll lose, but rather how healthy my body is and what it needs to keep it satisfied and healthy.

I also hold myself accountable for everything that goes in my mouth, and don't eat many processed carbohydrates or sugar.
  • wiggawaggle
    Options
    lots of great responses!
  • wiggawaggle
    Options
    jul_ohare wrote: »
    This time...I am starting with basic steps and adding a new habit each week. I find I try to do everything the first week and when that doesn't work, I give up. This time, I am starting with checking in hear each day to find people to motivate me who will hold me accountable. (by the way, if you would like to be one of those people, let me know). I am working on weekly goals instead of total goals. I am changing the way I eat instead of trying to only eat a certain way for a brief period of time. and I am going to celebrate every victory!!

I'm so like that too - try to do everything at once, obviously fail, then get so annoyed at myself about it that i give up!
  • FunSizedKJ
    FunSizedKJ Posts: 67 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    1. I've been a stereotypical crash dieter for my whole life. In big numbers too, not "just to lose the last 10 lbs" This time around, my focus is on nutritionally dense food in a reasonable amount of calories.
    2. Basically, focusing on changing my mindset. Diets were always temporary. "When I get down to xyz weight, I can eat what I want again, and monitor any gain so I only have to re-lose 5 lbs, instead of 50"

For me, my motivation was always to be skinny, to fit into smaller sizes, etc. My motivation is drastically different now. I have my daughter now, she deserves a happy, healthy, active, energized mom who can keep up with her for a very long time. As much of her life as possible. She's 8 months now, it's the perfect time for me to adopt a healthy lifestyle because it will keep me around for her longer and also instill healthy habits for her early on!
  • rose_84
    rose_84 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have been using MFP for about 30 days now and this has been the longest that I have been on it. Every time I have used it I have been unrealistic in my food changes by cutting out foods that I like. This time around I try and make it work with my daily and weekly calorie goals. I still have what I like but not every day and not as much as I used to eat. I also make sure to input the foods I eat either before or right after that way I make sure that I stick to it. Hopefully by doing that I won't have a crash and end up gaining the weight that I have lost.
  • cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    This time around I'm eating more calories, losing weight at a reasonable rate, and eating the same foods I will be once I'm at my goal. No more "good" or "bad" food. No more unnecessary restrictions. Even though I may be hungry some days, I don't feel like I'm dieting at all.

My mindset has also changed, too. Instead of thinking "if" I get to goal, I'm already planning for when I get there.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    This time around, I'm on the forums more and seeing how everything works. I also got a scale and use it for EVERYTHING.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm different than most. Selecting "good" food instead of "bad" food has been a tremendous help. I focus on my health and not what tastes the yummiest...and I've found many good foods that are really very yummy! I've put a huge focus on eating for nourishment.

I don't "cheat" because I don't want to! Different way of looking at food now. It's not about how I look. It's about being healthy and I'm not going to cheat myself out of health. I don't look forward to frozen pies. I look forward to good blood tests. I'm not all, "Ooh, I can't wait to have ribs and fried cheesecake!" The berries with granola are even better! Well, better than the cheesecake, maybe not better than the ribs. There might not be anything that tastes better than ribs or barbecue. But what I can't wait for is to beat a personal best.

Lifestyle changes. Lots of people say it, few actually do it. I've done some and continue working on others. If I gain the weight back, it won't because I changed one single thing (like "eating more") - I'd have to change a LOT of things to fall back into old habits. I'm trying to make the new ways be as entrenched as the old ones. Lots of work and lots of time spent there.

Also, this time is the first time that ever worked because I got a quick thyroid surgery and a pill that gives what I lacked. So, now when I try to lose weight, I lose weight! I always have to credit the pill because I couldn't lose before I started taking them. :)

This isn't the first time I tried to lose weight, but it's the first time I have been successful.