How bad is it to go over the recommended sodium level?

I hear that you should try to stay under 2200-2300mg a day because sodium can have negative effects on your cardiovascular health. I'm on a high-calorie diet, so I find it difficult to follow that recommendation. Usually I get 2600 mg a day. I know that's not hugely over, but is it actually bad for me?

Replies

• ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Good question, especially since I imagine that most people who don't check the database entries are incorrectly logging sodium. I know I fell into that trap before, then I suddenly realised "Wait, why is there no sodium in this entry when it has salt in it?"
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    edited August 2015
    bluecat145 wrote: »
    I know that's not hugely over, but is it actually bad for me?

Probably not. Depending on which studies you believe, the guidelines for dietary sodium may be somewhat conservative.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Many experts have dropped that 2300 to 1500. Lots of good info on sodium here: http://sodiumbreakup.heart.org/sodium-411/

At your next check-up, ask the doctor what they recommend for you. Always best to get personalized advice. :)
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Nothing wrong with it, just drink more water.
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Nothing wrong with it, just drink more water.

this...but I would avoid processed microwavable stuff for the most part...but if you do eat that, just drink lots of water..
  • bluecat145
    bluecat145 Posts: 144 Member
    Thank you for your help, especially Kalikel for the link!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Don't sweat the small stuff. If you're only over by a small amount it's not a big deal. If consistently hitting 5000mg you may want to rethink your plan.
  • tmkikk
    tmkikk Posts: 5 Member
    My doctor told me as an African American male I needed to be under 1500. Didn't know that and was easily going over that with my bacon consumption previously!
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    High blood pressure and I'm on 1500mg/day, it's not ready staying under it took awhile for me to adjust
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    The daily recommendations for nutrients generally are based on 2000 calories per day. If your overall intake is higher than that it would make sense that sodium would be a little higher too.
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Here's an interesting article on the issue of dietary sodium:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/its-time-to-end-the-war-on-salt/
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited August 2015
    I eat 4000-6000 mg of sodium a day most days. I have for almost a year. I try to balance it out with potassium through plant sources. I am 30 lbs overweight, but highly active, and I use the sodium through muscle movement and energy expenditure. Sodium is the #1 most important electrolyte for muscle movement. My bloodwork is better than most people's. That is a fact. The government tells you to reduce sodium because 2/3 of America doesn't know how to utilize it. Only when it has nowhere to go does it sit in your bloodstream and kill you.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Depends....for me I know I go easily over 4000 a day ATLEAST. (Seasonings and hot sauce helps a lot when cutting lol). But I also exercise intensely everyday and drink a ton of water! It's vital in a very active lifestyle.
  • irnz
    irnz Posts: 19 Member
    You should try to get at least the same amount of potassium, especially if you have high blood pressure. As long as those two are balanced you should be okay. You might be retaining more water though.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Depends....for me I know I go easily over 4000 a day ATLEAST. (Seasonings and hot sauce helps a lot when cutting lol). But I also exercise intensely everyday and drink a ton of water! It's vital in a very active lifestyle.

+1
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    edited August 2015
    lorrpb wrote: »
    The daily recommendations for nutrients generally are based on 2000 calories per day. If your overall intake is higher than that it would make sense that sodium would be a little higher too.

No, the level of sodium doesn't go up. 1500-2300 is the recommended maximum. Most people say 1590, some are sticking with 2300. But it's a maximum and doesn't change if you eat 2500 calories.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited August 2015
    Sodium is not typically a problem if you don't eat a lot of processed food or have issues with high blood pressure. Stick primarily to whole foods found in nature; not foods like Lean Cuisines, frozen pizzas, and McDonalds.

Regarding the Sodium and Potassium balance, don't overdue either one. Sodium and Potassium are typically recommended in a 1:2 ratio, respectively... for purposes of heart health.

Also, many nutrition labels, especially those logged on MFP, don't account for potassium. You're very likely getting more potassium than you think.

Why 2300mg is not always correct: http://suppversity.blogspot.co.uk/20...-good-for.html ~ Sweat is disproportionately high in sodium, so if you exercise heavily, you lose a lot. Athletes really don't need to be as careful about sodium intake. Therefore, if you're training, 2300mg could be too low.

Medical science is starting to lean towards not really worrying about sodium so much anymore unless you have serious cardiac comorbidities or a history of diagnosed hypertension. With increased sodium, your weight may fluctuate because of water retention. but you won't gain fat. Just be sure to stay hydrated.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    flaminica wrote: »

This. and also, this: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/810431

Some recent research is showing that there may not be any causal link between salt intake and health issues, after all. For now, the medical recommendations are still <2300mg/day for an adult without high blood pressure or heart disease, but we may eventually see the salt recommendations going the way of the cholesterol recommendations that were made 10 years ago. (I.e. whoops...sorry, we were wrong about that.)
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited August 2015
    flaminica wrote: »

This. and also, this: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/810431

Some recent research is showing that there may not be any causal link between salt intake and health issues, after all.

In my opinion, genetic disorders aside, most health problem comes from sitting on one's own butt. The human body is made to move, for more than the one hour workout routine, and we give it nutrients for the purpose of moving. When we do not move, and still give it those same amount of nutrients, it does not process things well. That is why people who have these diseases (smokers and genetics aside) are generally of the overweight/obese variety.

Our bodies want to move. From an evolutionary standpoint, we needed to. Not finding ways to move does a disservice to human physiology. So move!!! :-)