Walking- Beginner

Options
Ok so I am thinking of joining a gym so I have access to a treadmill and I would also be able to take some of their classes. I know I hear that you should just "start moving more" but I am wondering if there are any plans people have used to walk and effectively lose weight. I know losing weight has more to do with diet, which I have been working on. Should I just get on a treadmill and start walking?

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise. Just make sure you're walking fast enough to elevate your heart rate.

Why buy a treadmill as opposed to just walking outside?
  • jenthibert
    jenthibert Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    If you're just beginning a walking program there are several sites you may find helpful, including
    www.thewalkingsite.com. They have a12 week program. I haven't used it though.

Looks like the American Heart Association has one, as does Runners World, of varying lengths. But again, I haven't used them.

I completely understand needing a plan to follow. I'm following one now in preparation for walking a marathon. I need a goal to work toward. But it may be better to look at your schedule and establish your ability level and own goals before jumping into a plan. Being specific about my goals helps me stay motivated.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    AZnewbie00 wrote: »
    O Should I just get on a treadmill and start walking?

That's pretty much it. All you need is a comfortable pair of shoes and some gym clothes (avoid cotton, when you perspire it gets clammy feeling - wicking fabrics made of polyester are far more comfortable)

Some treadmills have built in programs to simulate hills etc that may be add some variety to your workouts (assuming your fitness level permits)

• AZnewbie00
    AZnewbie00 Posts: 70 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    There is a forum post called "August 2015 walking challenge" and you get to pick how many steps/miles and keep people updated on your progress

make sure to stay hydrated too.

Personally, I don't like treadmills but I walk the 4 miles around my community. Been living in AZ since October. Need to get back with walking. Just been a tad hot out lol Plan on walking early morning, night or both when its cooler out. The elliptical is good since you are in a walking motion
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    my granny walked almost every day of her life. she didn't have a car...she was never ill and lived to be 97.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Buy a good heart rate monitor, and make sure you have a good step counter and fitness app, which will show you how your walking is impacting your fitness per the different heart rate zones.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You could also check out "indoor walking." These are videos, no equipment required. At least it will get you started. These are great because you can go at your own pace, and build up when you are able. Also, you can walk when it's raining, when it 90 + degrees outside

www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia

www.jessicasmithtv.com/videos/walking-workouts/
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I've lost 95+ pounds in 14 months, mostly through walking. When I started I couldn't walk more than .25 miles without excruciating foot knee and hip pain. I have steadily increased my distance and walked a 10k in June with no stops and no pain. When I started I refused to do hills, now I can easily do hills worth 40 floors in one short walk. So just start walking! Worry about the HRM and other stuff as u are inclined. FWIW I've never used one. Good luck!