Exercise Classes- Beginner

Options
I plan to join a gym that offers classes. I have A LOT of weight to lose (80+lbs). Would it be dumb to try the classes or should I start with something easier like walking on the treadmill. I am extremely afraid I won't be able to make it through an entire class

Replies

• theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My starting weight was 299 and I did Zumba and Pound. If you're nervous, start out with the treadmill, but don't let your weight hold you back. The classes will be tough at first, but they get easier as you go.
  • mystgrl1604
    mystgrl1604 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Try the classes! As a beginner who has 100+ to lose, I found it extremely motivating to be in the classes. I tried all the classes on offer and chose the ones that was the most fun for me. It will be tough but you'll get used to it and as long as you pick something fun, you won't even mind that it's tough. Haha!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Try a few classes. Much more fun than spending an hour on a treadmill ( for me).

I found a Zumba gold class, all the moves of Zumba but a little slower and with alternate moves. It is aimed at People who are new to exercise, heavier, less mobile or older. It would be a great intro for you as it is less intimidating than full Zumba.

If there is a pool available, try aqua fit. It is a good workout that includes cardio, flexibility, and a little strength training.
    I must warn you though it took me two weeks just to learn how to keep by feet on the bottom of the pool. Also, if you can't quite follow all the moves to begin with no one knows because you are in the water.

Basically, see what is on offer, then choose a class that you think you will enjoy, and that you think you will be able to eventually complete.

If you have to rest every 10 min, it's ok.
    If you can only compete the first few minutes it's ok. Try for a few more minutes next time.

Go in, introduce yourself, and explain your situation to the instructor, then have a good time doing what you can.
    Folks are friendly.

Cheers, h.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    If you are completely out of shape, classes won't be super easy.
    That being said, all classes can be adjusted to your own fitness level, and there is nothing wrong with taking a short break to catch your breath.
    But after all, it isn't supposed to be easy since it should challenge you to do better.

Go join some classes and enjoy!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Absolutely go for the classes if you think it would be more interesting. Ask what is suitable for beginners, let the instructors know you are new, make sure to not compare yourself with people who have been there for a while and have fun. Do not feel discouraged if you need breaks or are less flexible than others. It happens to everyone who is new, overweight or not.
  • AZnewbie00
    AZnewbie00 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    You are welcome.
    Cheers, h.
  • JillianRN527
    JillianRN527 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I tried yoga for the first time this week and it went well! I signed up for Kettlebells this week. I'm trying a new class every week! It's one of my personal goals. I'm not ballsy enough yet for Spin.