chicken salad with some strawberries cut up, balsamic vinaigrette, feta cheese

pasta salads

pasta noodles, feta cheese, olives, Italian dressing

Any fun ways to make salads?

Replies

• Chandler330
    Chandler330 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I like subbing baby spinach for the base instead of using lettuce. Black beans also fill me up quick so I try to incorporate them.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    I like subbing baby spinach for the base instead of using lettuce. Black beans also fill me up quick so I try to incorporate them.

Nice. I like using spinach too
  • flrancho
    flrancho Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Greek salad, Caesar Salad, Chef's Salad.

I forget what the salad is called, but a deli around here does a salad that has spinach, strawberries, grapes, walnuts, and feta cheese. Really good with a balsamic vinaigrette.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Think that would be Waldorf but with strawberries in it? So good
  • anlymc13
    anlymc13 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Taco salad! Ground seasoned chicken breast, sour cream, salsa, fresh homemade pico de gallo, avocado, and jalapeno all on a bed of lettuce! Yum!
  • GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I love salad!!

"Summer" Salad: baby spinach, mandarin oranges, blueberries, sliced strawberries,pecans and poppy seed dressing. You could toss in some sliced grilled chicken.

Chopped BBQ Chicken Salad: mix iceberg and romaine lettuces with sweet corn, black beans, a little shredded cheese, peeled/diced jicama, grilled chicken, a little BBQ sauce and ranch dressing.

• yardprincess
    yardprincess Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I really like the Broccoli, Raisin (or grape) salad with bacon (you can use turkey bacon as well). It comes with a sweet/sour dressing. The regular recipe is something like a 1/2 C. sugar, 1/2 C. mayo and 1/4 C. vinegar. What do you recommend for making it lighter?
    I remember it tastes even better the second day!
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    We love salads at out house!

There are many, but one thing I do is look up menus of salads on restaurant websites. I just buy the ingredients and make them myself. Tonight we had a strawberry and berry salad similar to the Strawberry Field salad at Wendy's. Yummy! Besides the typical vegetables I added sliced chicken breast, strawberries, blueberries, dried cranberries, and almonds. My husband really likes this salad with a raspberry vinaigrette. He asked me to include 2 main dish salads to our menu each week.

Here are some other ideas that I posted on a discussion some time ago, with additions of another poster also. Hope this gives you some more good ideas:

Salad ideas? I love mandarin chicken salad: Mixed greens, chopped tomato, about 8-10 sections of canned mandarin oranges, cooked and cubed chicken, all sprinkled with sliced almonds.

Tonight we had a taco salad: Iceberg lettuce, Romaine lettuce, spinach leaves, chopped tomatoes, 2 oz very lean ground beef (cooked and drained of fat then cooked with just a bit of taco seasoning as directed on package), 1 oz of grated cheese, 2 tortilla chips crunched up and sprinkled on top. I used 2T of salsa mixed with 1T of sour cream for dressing. MFP gave me 315 calories for a huge salad.

My new favorite salad, Berry Almond Chicken Salad: mixed greens, 2 oz roasted chicken breast, sliced strawberries, raspberries (or blackberries), dried cranberries, with a little grated cheese and sliced almonds on top. The berries make it so yummy. I do use 1/2 Tablespoon Poppy Seed dressing. but it would be good even without dressing.

Spinach, Strawberry and goat cheese (so flavorful, no dressing is needed)

Grilled Buffalo Chicken (I make my own low calorie blue cheese to use on the side when my mouth needs cooled off-I like the combination of spicy sauce with cool lettuce)

Also from Pinterest and the Food Network:
    Adobo grilled chicken, corn, black bean over lettuce
    Tzaziki marinated grilled chicken salad
    Spicy Tai Asian Grilled Chicken Salad
    Philly cheese steak salad (can also do a Steak & Blue salad)

Just make sure you measure and weigh the ingredients. I carefully weight out cheese and chicken when I add it to salad.

BTW My husband and I have done well losing weight with main dish salads!

70044776.png
  • lauraxx2015xx
    lauraxx2015xx Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love adding slices of orange to salad tastes lovely & fresh & also then no need for salad dressing.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I love adding slices of orange to salad tastes lovely & fresh & also then no need for salad dressing.

Great idea! Yum!