Options
2»

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

That was a major ego boost. It's got me as half way through advanced on bench, just barely into elite on squats, and halfway through elite on deads, all platform proven numbers. Realistically, I'm highly competitive provinicially, middle of the pack nationally and world level back of the pack. Therefore I would put myself as intermediate although I handle advanced programming easily.

I think our definitions of "intermediate" may differ a bit. You are talking about competing (albeit poorly) at the world level? You're talking about talking world titles in the lower level federations? And you only consider yourself intermediate? Just being at that level of competition would put you into elite status easily.

For reference, I'm on the border of intermediate and advanced for all of my lifts and people competing at the elite level of the game are squatting 400lbs+ MORE than I am at the same body weight.

Yes, I realize that women in powerlifting comprise maybe 5% of the total so competition is a little different but still. If you are competing at that level you are an elite lifter, period.

^ Didn't read this before I replied -- totally agree here ^
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options

That was a major ego boost. It's got me as half way through advanced on bench, just barely into elite on squats, and halfway through elite on deads, all platform proven numbers. Realistically, I'm highly competitive provinicially, middle of the pack nationally and world level back of the pack. Therefore I would put myself as intermediate although I handle advanced programming easily.

I think our definitions of "intermediate" may differ a bit. You are talking about competing (albeit poorly) at the world level? You're talking about talking world titles in the lower level federations? And you only consider yourself intermediate? Just being at that level of competition would put you into elite status easily.

For reference, I'm on the border of intermediate and advanced for all of my lifts and people competing at the elite level of the game are squatting 400lbs+ MORE than I am at the same body weight.

Yes, I realize that women in powerlifting comprise maybe 5% of the total so competition is a little different but still. If you are competing at that level you are an elite lifter, period.

The company you keep plays a lot in how you perceive yourself. And my teammates hold a lot of national, commonwealth, North American and a couple IPF world records. So yes, holding only the provincial deadlift records makes me intermediate in my eyes.

Talking about how quickly you can add weight to the bar and only talking bench because due to injury I'm bench only right now, not even my coaches can tell where I lie along the curve. But I'm able to add weight relatively consistently - from November to may I added in 25kg and since then while I haven't max tested, I've been adding work capacity at any given weight and they feel easier every week.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options

Thanks for posting this! I had no idea such a tool existed.

Figured I was an intermediate lifter after 2 years. Yep.

@kensky For programs: I suggest DUP. It's what I moved to after StrongLifts 5x5, and I love it. I usually get a PR every 1-2 weeks on at least one of my lifts.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Bamthor1 wrote: »
    I'd recommend staying lean and not buying into the weight gaining thoughts of strength first that a lot of powerlifters embrace. Smolov if you want to hit legs hard otherwise I'd say stay balanced with a simple West Side template.

go away.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Bamthor1 wrote: »
    I'd recommend staying lean and not buying into the weight gaining thoughts of strength first that a lot of powerlifters embrace. Smolov if you want to hit legs hard otherwise I'd say stay balanced with a simple West Side template.

go away.

:D Where is the applause emoji orr the "rep" button? Well said.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    So- according to that linkie link
    I'm half way into elite on my bench, and just shy of elite on my squat/dead- like 90% advanced.

I personally consider myself bottom of intermediate.

Why. Well- compared to competitive lifters- I'm a joke.
    Compared to the women in my gym- I'm kind of a joke.
    Compared to to untrained women- I'm a complete animal.

I think actual numbers are not so relevant- I agree women's standards are laughable- it's a hot button for me that 135 is consider a big *kitten* weight for women's bench- but apparently I'm some sort of weird benching freak and I shouldn't judge others LOL perspective is important.

To me it seems clear when you move beyond a straight forward linear progression- when you hit the slow grind to add 5-10 pounds to a lift- and it takes 12-16 weeks to get that- then you're beyond beginner.

OP you have to realize that linear and quick gains go away- and you must learn to love the joy of slow what appears to be meaningless training. It's not- all the work you do will gain you 5 pounds. I managed to get a sh*tty 240 up to a completely clean 245 in 14 weeks. I hit pushed 250- but it was 1.5 inches short- it was a long training process but you have to learn to love it. If you get hung up on moving up EVERY time you step into the gym- you're going to be disappointed.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    http://www.strengthstandards.co/#/home

damn. I've been training almost 2 years and I'm not even a novice!!
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jo Rocka. Intermediate has less to do with the amount of weight lifted and more to do with whether your beginner gains are in your rear view mirror. When you have to fight for incremental gains, you're not a novice.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jo Rocka. Intermediate has less to do with the amount of weight lifted and more to do with whether your beginner gains are in your rear view mirror. When you have to fight for incremental gains, you're not a novice.

Agree with them as well. Btw, I'm a 40 year old, stay at home mom who lifts in my basement all by my lonesome. I think we should be friends.