arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    blazehill6 wrote: »
    Everyone's different but some oh you act like twinkles :D

What?
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    hahahahaha WTF you got me googling! like ok what other american thing I don't get , and found this http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=twinkle #facepalm
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    hahahahaha WTF you got me googling! like ok what other american thing I don't get , and found this http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=twinkle #facepalm

Yeah no, I had to think about it too. Twinkle is just twinkle. She meant to call us twinkies....mmm
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I usually eat bread from a bakery that has no sugar or any artificial ingredients in it. When I track whole wheat bread it shows a high sugar content. So how do I track the natural bread I eat that has no barcode. I'm aware that the bread will have a high carb content and therefore show some sugar but it's a sugar free bread.
    Thoughts?

I'd guess there are very few bread recipes without sugar in them. The only one I'm aware of is called Desem bread from the Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book. (Sugar feeds the yeast in most bread recipes.) Definitely ask them for the nutrition info--I'm sure they'd be happy to help you.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I am curious about what kind of bread because if it is yeast bread it has sugar.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    All yeast breads have sugar, even the ones fresh baked from your local bakery. Now some commercial breads add more sugar for the taste (I remember the first time I tried an American sandwich bread and it tasted way too sweet to me). That's not what you should be concerned about. Most breads are just water, flour, yeast, and a touch of sugar. Some breads add oil, milk or eggs, so you may need to confirm with your bakery and ask them if they do (that's what's going to make a nutritional difference, not the sugar).
  • proctornikki
    proctornikki Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Actually I buy sourdough bread with no sugar added at all. I asked the bakery.
  • proctornikki
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help. I didn't ask for a lecture on the evil of carbs so I'll ignore that persons "help". I love whole grain pastas and breads. I won't ever change that. I will ask my bakery :) and I also really like the idea of finding a similar recipe online and using that. :) hope you all have a healthy day!
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    treat it as french bread, which has only a tiny amount of sugar to kick off the yeast (like a teaspoon per loaf). Log it strictly by weight. Typically, an ounce of any kind of wheat-based bread has very similar calories to any other kind anyway (until you start adding unmilled grains, seeds, etc, to the mix)
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    Actually I buy sourdough bread with no sugar added at all. I asked the bakery.

Sourdough is different. It uses fermented dough which does not need sugar, only a base of aged water and flour that collects natural yeast (fun process).
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you should be able to ask the store that you bought from
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I didn't know what natural bread meant. Many breads, including many sourdoughs, are made with just flour, water, salt and yeast. In the case of sourdough the yeast might be wild and come from a "starter dough." If the bakery won't give you the nutritional content of the bread, you'd be close enough by using the calories per gram of any other bread with the same ingredients. It will vary a little depending on the flour used and remaining moisture content but in my humble opinion it's plenty close enough.
  • irnz
    irnz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yeast bread does not need sugar if you use salt. It's actually the starches in the flour that feed the yeast. It just takes a bit longer, but the extra time helps the bread develop a fuller flavor. The addition of sugar or salt to the dough is to act to stop the yeast from overproducing so the bad can stabilize before you bake it (just as when you preserve foods you can use either sugar or salt to stop bacterial growth). I bake bread all the time using nothing but whole wheat flour, yeast, water and salt.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    irnz wrote: »
    Yeast bread does not need sugar if you use salt. It's actually the starches in the flour that feed the yeast. It just takes a bit longer, but the extra time helps the bread develop a fuller flavor. The addition of sugar or salt to the dough is to act to stop the yeast from overproducing so the bad can stabilize before you bake it (just as when you preserve foods you can use either sugar or salt to stop bacterial growth). I bake bread all the time using nothing but whole wheat flour, yeast, water and salt.

Correct. But honestly, will teaspoon of sugar per loaf or more put a dent in calories per slice? I believe most breads of the same type are pretty close in count. Now sweet breads, rolls, and other specialty breads are a different story.
  • proctornikki
    Options
    By natiral I mean with only whole food ingredients. No procesed bread. Most bread in the supermarket is full of crap. Homemade bread great! If I am using a recipe With minimal sugar it's not a big deal.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    By natiral I mean with only whole food ingredients. No procesed bread. Most bread in the supermarket is full of crap. Homemade bread great! If I am using a recipe With minimal sugar it's not a big deal.

I agree here :)

The breads I get still have some sugar in them, but it's lower than what I get with store-bought bread. I don't have the patience to make it myself but I like supporting a local business - and there's something about fresh-baked bread that is just super yummy.

~Lyssa
  • proctornikki
    Options

I agree here :)

The breads I get still have some sugar in them, but it's lower than what I get with store-bought bread. I don't have the patience to make it myself but I like supporting a local business - and there's something about fresh-baked bread that is just super yummy.

~Lyssa[/quote]

Good for you ! And it tastes so much better. I used to love white wonder bread. Now I can't stand it! Which to me is a.nutritional win! :)
  • ramepithecus
    ramepithecus Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I make my own bread with only flour, water, yeast and salt. I've been using someone else's recipe for "Homemade Artisan White Bread" when I log it.
  • amberjo1986
    amberjo1986 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I found a somewhat relevant YouTube clip: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FTZ6Ud3EME0