Bodyweight (Calisthenics) vs. Heavy Lifting

Options
So I've been doing some calisthenics for strength training. I know I've not been getting all my muscle groups, and would like to change that.

Has anyone any suggestions on good bodyweight/calisthenics routines that can be done 3 times a week that would give comparable results to weight lifting? I have a bench and some dumbells at home, and I will use those too if that's going to help, but I'd prefer not having to sign up at a gym if at all possible.

Thanks in advance :D

Replies

• ThomasWright1997
    ThomasWright1997 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »
    So I've been doing some calisthenics for strength training. I know I've not been getting all my muscle groups, and would like to change that.

Has anyone any suggestions on good bodyweight/calisthenics routines that can be done 3 times a week that would give comparable results to weight lifting? I have a bench and some dumbells at home, and I will use those too if that's going to help, but I'd prefer not having to sign up at a gym if at all possible.

Thanks in advance :D

Right.. We'll do a simple Push Pull antagonist superset circuit.

(Warm up with muscle ups if you can do them, if not, do some Pushups supersetted with chin ups.)

Aim for 12 reps, accept 8 or more.

Handstand Push Up
    Pull Up

Dip
    Chin Up

Push Up
    Inverted Row

Rest for a minute or two and repeat. Up to 30 secs between supersets.

Other than that, do front/Back levers, human flags, L-sits, etc.

PM me if you want more help. Always happy to assist
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Check out: You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible of Bodyweight Exercises by Mark Lauren.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Thank you both :) Those are great suggestions to get me started. I'll look into them.