Question about Exercise Calories ....

Options
Okay so I usually use myfitnesspal as an app on my iphone and on it, it subtracts the calories I burned through exercise from my food calories, so it says I have more calories to eat throughout the day.

Wellllll, today I logged on and checked myfitnesspal online and it didn't subtract my exercise calories from the overall calories I consumed today, so I am quite a bit over my calorie goal for the day.

I'm sort of confused, in order to reach my goal of losing 10lbs (SAFELY) should I CONSUME less then the recommended calorie intake and not take into account the amount I burned through daily exercise?

My exercise routine is basically strength training 4 days a week, 1 day of cardio and 1 day of HIIT.

Replies

• RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Eat back your exercise calories, if significant enough. Strength training usually doesnt burn a lot of calories, so be sure to subtract bmr from total calorie burn for a net calorie burn.

If you do not eat back calories, you are only increasing the deficit at which you will lose weight. I believe "safe" is relative. I can lose 4-5 lbs a week safely if I wanted to, and I am only 30 lbs overweight. I usually eat back as much as I can, but I am not a stickler. If I am in the ballpark, I am fine. I usually underestimate TDEE anyways (I am very active, but stay at sedentary values)