Oatmeal or whole grain cereal?

Options
2»

Replies

• July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    you talking about instant oatmeal or steel cut oatmeal (aka irish oatmeal)? Steel cut is better, but whole grain cereal is probably slightly better than instant oatmeal.

Yummy. Steel Cut Oats.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I like Steel Cut Oats with a handful of blueberries, Pure Vanilla and a couple spoonfuls Greek Yogurt for the "milk" effect.

The Oats and the fat in the Yogurt will keep me full for hours on end.............Very yummy and satisfying also.

I recently gave up grains, so I may only have this on occasion in the winter.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Quick oats are in the same category as instant oats. So your cereal is probably better than it.

Actually that isn't true - Quick Cooking Oats are rolled, whole grain oats, just processed differently to reduce cooking time (basically each oat is sliced in half). Many people don't like them because they are mushier. I prefer the mushiness. Steel cut oats are firmer oats, and a lot chewier.

I add 1/4 cup almond milk (with the other 3/4 cup being water) and a tablespoon of natural peanut butter to my oats, they are so filling and delicious.

According to the Clean Eating websites, rolled oats isn't as nutritious as Steel Cut Oats because it is rolled, steamed and then re-rolled............That is a much more processed product which can have an impact on blood sugar levels and cause you to get hungry faster....................
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I prefer oatmeal because it fills me up and keeps me satisfied longer.
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I wholeheartedly :heart: agree with oats4breakfast! I LOVE steel cut oats! I can make up a batch of 4 servings (or more) in my rice cooker on the weekend. Then, during the week, I re-heat the oats in the microwave with bananas, cinnamon, 1/4 skim or almond milk, and/or walnuts and/or dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, blueberries, or apricots--yum!). VERY hearty indeed! Yes, it may be a lot of calories going on there, but I'm definitely not hungry for a long, long time! :bigsmile:

I have never thought to make my SCO in the rice cooker. Thanks for the idea.

You're very welcome! I think I found that idea on one of the forums here. I like to make them in my rice cooker because the rice basket is plastic and so much easier to clean than the metal pot I'd been using. Not only that, but I can just throw the oats & the water in the cooker, set the timer, and do other morning stuff while it's cooking away.

In case you're wondering, I have found that the settings for white rice work wonderfully. The cooking time ends up being 35-40 minutes or so. To reheat in the microwave, it's 45 seconds, stir thoroughly, add extras (see above quoted post), microwave another 45 seconds or so, stir and eat. Almost faster on the reheat than microwaving a packet of instant oatmeal! And MUCH better tasting, too!