Alternative Breakfast - What's Your View?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My favorite breakfasts are not traditional breakfast foods. I like leftovers from dinner or a sandwich for breakfast. I like soup for breakfast sometimes.
    Doesn't matter what the food is or the time of day it is consumed. Eat what you like.
  • mazzy1026
    mazzy1026 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Brilliant responses - love it. I think the theme here is have whatever you want, and whatever you enjoy - but always remember:
    What's really important for losing weight is to eat fewer calories than you burn.

Hit the nail on the head here Jennifer B)
  • z304
    z304 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I like oatmeal with ground flax seeds, nut butter, topped with chia seeds and a little jam with some frozen berries in the side when I have them. Healthy but takes 2 minutes and zero thought.

I do love my breakfast foods though. Not as much sugary cereals but home fries, tartines, salmon, poached eggs, sausage, etc. I usually eat them at brunch time or later if I have them.
  • jase2004uk
    jase2004uk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Have you considered the time you eat your evening meal, the quantity of food you eat at that time of evening/night and whether or not this drives the fact you are not hungry at breakfast due to still being full? I agree with the person who commented "that's disgusting, eating that for breakfast, uuurrrr" - coz it was me you DWB!!!
  • mazzy1026
    Options
    jase2004uk wrote: »
    Have you considered the time you eat your evening meal, the quantity of food you eat at that time of evening/night and whether or not this drives the fact you are not hungry at breakfast due to still being full? I agree with the person who commented "that's disgusting, eating that for breakfast, uuurrrr" - coz it was me you DWB!!!

Haha come on - join the revolution :p
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    When I was in the Grenedines (carribean isalands), they served fresh caught fish in broth or stewed tomatoes-heaven!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'm another who likes breakfast food, but if you don't like it and would rather have other food for breakfast, it makes no difference.

Eat what you like!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    mazzy1026 wrote: »
    The only thing (and this is where I'd love to guage opinion) is that whenever I tell anyone what I have for breakfast, all's I get is something along the lines of "that's disgusting, eating that for breakfast, uuurrrr".

I don't much care for sweet breakfast foods and have always hated cold cereal (I do like oatmeal and eggs, though, as well as bagels and lox), so I was always the problem child at breakfast-time growing up and my mother just said "make what you want to eat."

I skipped breakfast for years until I (weirdly) found myself becoming a morning person and found I wanted to eat in the morning, and that led to the--rather late--discovery that the best breakfast was often just leftovers from dinner or some other non-traditional option. (I recall as a child being excited by the idea that some ate steak and eggs, though.)

I'm currently on an omelet kick, so I do eat a traditional breakfast more often than not, but last summer I was eating salads for breakfast more often than not, and I am still likely to just decide I'm in the mood for some leftover meat and veggies, with maybe some fruit to make it more breakfast-like.

So that's my long-winded way of saying I don't think it's disgusting at all. There is no reason at all to stick to traditional breakfast foods if you don't want to.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I can't eat sweet things during the day. I have no desire. An hour before bedtime is a different story.

I generally have a big spinach salad for my first meal with mushrooms, peppers, chicken, avocado - the usual salad suspects.

I do like eggs for dinner though. There are just so versatile. I'm not a fan of cereal either so I don't know what the attraction there is. Probably because I'm not a fan of milk.

I thought eggs were a popular first meal food because back in the day one of the first chores was to collect the eggs from the hen house. Then as women left the home and entered the workforce en masse the cereal companies seized the opportunity to feed the kiddos sugary sweet cereal so they would eat and mom and dad could be out the door.
  • joyB1973
    joyB1973 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I work nights so I will eat whatever for breakfast...lol :p
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Kexessa wrote: »
    I can't eat sweet things during the day. I have no desire. An hour before bedtime is a different story.

I generally have a big spinach salad for my first meal with mushrooms, peppers, chicken, avocado - the usual salad suspects.

I do like eggs for dinner though. There are just so versatile. I'm not a fan of cereal either so I don't know what the attraction there is. Probably because I'm not a fan of milk.

I thought eggs were a popular first meal food because back in the day one of the first chores was to collect the eggs from the hen house. Then as women left the home and entered the workforce en masse the cereal companies seized the opportunity to feed the kiddos sugary sweet cereal so they would eat and mom and dad could be out the door.

This is me exactly. I started hating cereal with milk as a kid because it got soggy, so I started eating cereal dry. It just made me super hungry an hour or two later. I eventually started eating salads for breakfast, although now I mostly skip breakfast and just have coffee and then a protein shake around 10am as a mid-morning snack. When I do eat eggs, they're usually for dinner or lunch.
  • trying4real
    trying4real Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Everyone I work with thinks I am strange because I rarely eat "breakfast" food in the morning, ( give me a salad or chili or something lol) I can eat it later in the day just not in the morning.
  • mazzy1026
    Options
    Joy do you drink beer at 6am when you get in? o:)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I would think there are more countries where the traditional breakfast dish is something savoury (the full English/Scottish/Irish breakfast, the so-called Continental breakfast (cheese, sliced meats, breads/croissants etc.) the Japanese breakfast of fish rice and miso etc. than there are countries where the traditional breakfast is cereal.

We've spent the last 100 years embracing the ideas of Wiliam Kellogg (apparently based on practices of Seventh Day Adventists who I believe were generally quite slim) but breakfast can be whatever you fancy.

No one doesn't have breakfast. breakfast is the meal you have to break your fast, whenever you have it. Protein tends to make you fuller so your meal ideas (especially fish which is a great brain food) are just fine.