Replies

• TamLam99
    TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    thanks for that fitbit link, I'm sure I'll find a lot of good info there
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I got my hr charger today!!! I am loving the heart rate !!! When I am at home I can do my step and get my heart rate up throughout the day 5 mins there 10 mins here when ever a good song comes on or just because. I can see that I am burning more cals
  • TamLam99
    Options
    the Charge HR band looks really wide, is it as huge as it looks ?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    TamLam99 wrote: »
    It's pretty big. You can usually see them in person at a Best Buy or the like.

• TamLam99
    Options
    yeah, I was thinking about that - it would be nice to see them in person and try them on.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Yes. Unlike my Flex, Charge HR gives me a huge tan line. (I upgraded because my Flex kept falling off.)
  • TamLam99
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »

Yes. Unlike my Flex, Charge HR gives me a huge tan line. (I upgraded because my Flex kept falling off.)

that's funny about the tan line. I'm also concerned about it feeling sticky when I sweat, which I do sweat a LOT when I'm exercising.
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've got the Surge and I love it. I don't measure distance or steps...I mainly use it for my overall calorie count and seeing how much I can stuff my face in the evening after a hard day outside.

It does keep me on track and makes me work just that little bit harder...knowing that when I get home and sync it MFP tells me I can scoff a bit more :)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Most of the wristband products are pretty much the same for walking and general activity.

I don't care for the wrist based HRMs due to the degree of inaccuracy - I've been using the chest based HRMs for years now. I use a Flex for daily activity and switch to a Polar H7 for longer steady state cardio.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »

that's funny about the tan line. I'm also concerned about it feeling sticky when I sweat, which I do sweat a LOT when I'm exercising.

I have a Charge HR and I sweat a ton. I have no issues with stickiness.
  • TamLam99
    Options

"I mainly use it for my overall calorie count and seeing how much I can stuff my face in the evening after a hard day outside"

I love that !!

• TamLam99
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Most of the wristband products are pretty much the same for walking and general activity.

I don't care for the wrist based HRMs due to the degree of inaccuracy - I've been using the chest based HRMs for years now. I use a Flex for daily activity and switch to a Polar H7 for longer steady state cardio.

can you elaborate on the inaccuracy piece ? just curious if you think they over or under estimate.

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    can you elaborate on the inaccuracy piece ? just curious if you think they over- or underestimate.

The only way to gauge the accuracy of any device is to trust it for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress.

I've had Fitbits for two years (Flex, then Charge HR), lost the weight, and kept it off. They're also great motivation.

But you still have to log everything you eat & drink accurately and honestly.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

can you elaborate on the inaccuracy piece ? just curious if you think they over or under estimate.

In studies comparing the wrist based, chest based, to EKG - the chest based are dead on, while the wrist based are wildly inaccurate. The wrist based are highly dependent on arm position and the inaccuracy increases with activity, so they may be over or under, but still incorrect.

The Polar H7 is ~$70 (chest strap HRM) and is probably the cheapest and best solution for anyone with a smartphone.
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit charge but use it simply to make sure that I get off my butt and walk enough every day, plus I like the sleep stats, and it doubles up as a watch. I was always terrible at remembering to wear a watch! I sweat a lot when I exercise and find that it doesn't annoy me. It's just another useful thingy to keep me heading down the right path.