Why am I not losing weight when I seem to be doing everything right??

Options

Replies

• FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough for the amount of exercise you are doing. Eat back your exercise calories so that your "net" calories are at least 1200 - therefore you need at least 1800 with your activity level.

Also cut out the processed food in your diet and replace with whole foods. When I switched from processed to unprocessed food without changing anything else, I lost another stone and I eat loads. Eat lots of the right foods, combine with regular exercise and you will lose weight.

Don't be put off if it takes a couple of weeks for the weight to start coming off - let your body adjust to the changes you are making to your lifestyle :) aim to lose 1-2lb per week, no more than this as it will be far easier to maintain and it is much healthier than crash dieting (which will only lead to weight gain once you eat normally again).

I agree with previous post - weigh your food and log it exactly - you can save your meals on here so its only a pain the first time you make a meal.

Finally, what has helped me is to eat a HUGE breakfast - make it your biggest meal of the day as it is your fuel for the day ahead. Then a good sized lunch and more moderate sized dinner. Don't eat too late in the evening. Eat plenty of protein rich foods if you're doing a lot of exercise. And healthy fats (unsaturated) such as nuts, avocados, oily fish etc help when trying to lose weight and also keep hormones regulated.

I'm sorry but first, exercise calories tend to be overestimated. Always eat half of what you think you burned just to be sure.
    Processed and not processed foods do not matter, if you wanna lose weight, eat the right amount of calories for moderate, healthy weight loss. Eat whatever you want - literally - although you will of course be healthier if you eat more fresh foods in their natural state then if you eat more treats. But moderation is the key and it helped me keep my sanity during the time when i was losing weight.
    Huge breakfast make me starve for the rest of the day, I tend to save my calories for late at night because that's when i get hungry. So when you eat your calories doesn't matter.
    Final advice, START LIFTING ASAP. There's so many youtube videos and articles that can teach you how to do it properly if you cannot afford a personal trainer.
    Best of luck
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    Options

[/quote]
    I am logging accurately like I've said.. :)[/quote]

If you're not weighing your food, you're not logging accurately. You need to know how much you are eating in order to log it in your diary accurately.[/quote]

I'm sorry, but I know quite a few people who have lost a good amount of weight, and not one of them has weighed there food? They have just used this app? So I find it a bit odd to be honest [/quote]

I never weighted my food, i lost a good amount of weight. If you have general idea what a portion size is, what a big apple and a small apple looks like, what a serving of cereal looks like, that kind of stuff, it's not difficult. I find it odd too that so many people need to weigh every gram of everything.
    Even if you underestimate by 50-100 calories, not a biggie, you're gonna burn them just by walking around on a usual day

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    You're not eating enough for the amount of exercise you are doing. Eat back your exercise calories so that your "net" calories are at least 1200 - therefore you need at least 1800 with your activity level.

Also cut out the processed food in your diet and replace with whole foods. When I switched from processed to unprocessed food without changing anything else, I lost another stone and I eat loads. Eat lots of the right foods, combine with regular exercise and you will lose weight.

Don't be put off if it takes a couple of weeks for the weight to start coming off - let your body adjust to the changes you are making to your lifestyle :) aim to lose 1-2lb per week, no more than this as it will be far easier to maintain and it is much healthier than crash dieting (which will only lead to weight gain once you eat normally again).

I agree with previous post - weigh your food and log it exactly - you can save your meals on here so its only a pain the first time you make a meal.

Finally, what has helped me is to eat a HUGE breakfast - make it your biggest meal of the day as it is your fuel for the day ahead. Then a good sized lunch and more moderate sized dinner. Don't eat too late in the evening. Eat plenty of protein rich foods if you're doing a lot of exercise. And healthy fats (unsaturated) such as nuts, avocados, oily fish etc help when trying to lose weight and also keep hormones regulated.

Thank you for this post, this has helped me a lot, and made me feel a bit better about everything, i'll try and follow your advice, thanks again! :D
    "Not eating enough" isn't the cause for not losing weight. Eating too much is.

You need to log accurately and be patient.
    I am logging accurately like I've said.. :)

If you're not weighing your food, you're not logging accurately. You need to know how much you are eating in order to log it in your diary accurately.

I'm sorry, but I know quite a few people who have lost a good amount of weight, and not one of them has weighed there food? They have just used this app? So I find it a bit odd to be honest

You can lose weight using a variety of tools and methods. This is a calorie counting app. It does not work at all without a scale.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ]So I have a right to get defensive because there's no need to be rude.

But you're the one being rude...
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

I never weighted my food, i lost a good amount of weight. If you have general idea what a portion size is, what a big apple and a small apple looks like, what a serving of cereal looks like, that kind of stuff, it's not difficult. I find it odd too that so many people need to weigh every gram of everything.
    Even if you underestimate by 50-100 calories, not a biggie, you're gonna burn them just by walking around on a usual day
    100 calories overestimation for three meals a day and, poof, your supposed .5 pounds per week loss is gone or, hello, .5 pounds a week of weight gain.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited August 2015
    Options

Some people get the estimation down well, others don't. It depends on the individual, and it also depends on the diet because some foods are easier to eyeball than others.

It depends how often you underestimate. If you do that for every meal, a small deficit is suddenly a small surplus, and you're gaining instead of losing.
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    Options

100 calories overestimation for three meals a day and, poof, your supposed .5 pounds per week loss is gone or, hello, .5 pounds a week of weight gain.

If you're eating at a deficit not at maintenance it's not possible. If you don't count every single exercise calorie, like walking around, cleaning, etc, even 300 extra calories a day (especially since op is eating only 1200, she could use another 300) won't make a big difference.
    That being said, she will also overestimate calories sometimes. It's about lifestyle change, the food scale is unnecessary, i am the living proof.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Because you are so short you have to be extremely strict with your weighing and measuring of your food. You cannot get away with estimations.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

If you're eating at a deficit not at maintenance it's not possible. If you don't count every single exercise calorie, like walking around, cleaning, etc, even 300 extra calories a day (especially since op is eating only 1200, she could use another 300) won't make a big difference.
    That being said, she will also overestimate calories sometimes. It's about lifestyle change, the food scale is unnecessary, i am the living proof.
    You know what begging the question is, right? Yeah, if you're eating at a deficit you won't gain. The problem is she doesn't know that she's in a deficit.

And, yes, an extra 300 calories a day can most certainly make a big difference. 300 extra calories every day for a year is 31 pounds.

You have no idea that OP "could use" another 300 calories a day, all the more so since she isn't losing weight now.

And no one said a scale was "necessary," but it's certainly helpful for someone who believes she's eating 1200 calories and supposedly burning 600-700 calories a day but still not losing weight. Obviously, her estimations are messed up on intake, output, or both. Given that, a scale could help.
  • bratterz_xoxo
    bratterz_xoxo Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

no, I'm not being rude actually, read all the rest of the posts. I've said thank you to multiple people and some of which I haven't said thank you too because they are being rude, i know what to do now. So why bring it all up again? it's getting ridiculous. there was no need to say that. If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it at all :D
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

no, I'm not being rude actually...

Yeah, you were.

If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it at all :D

Right back at ya.

Now get a scale so you can stop over-eating.
  • bratterz_xoxo
    Options

Yeah, you were.

Right back at ya.

Well, it's only because others are rude to me. Works both ways doesn't it.

And I will, not that it's any concern to you anyways what I do :)

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Yeah, you were.

Right back at ya.

I hesitated to post because of the attitude you displayed to those trying to help you. If you want a variety of useful answers, it's often best not to attack the messengers lest you scare others off. "They were rude first!" is no excuse. Report it and let the mods deal with it. Reciprocating is against the rules, too.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    irony-meter.jpg
  • bratterz_xoxo
    Options

Yeah, you were.

Right back at ya.

I hesitated to post because of the attitude you displayed to those trying to help you. If you want a variety of useful answers, it's often best not to attack the messengers lest you scare others off. "They were rude first!" is no excuse. Report it and let the mods deal with it. Reciprocating is against the rules, too.

Okay..
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary and profile. I'd have to guess you're probably over estimating on your calories burned. Which MFP and most machines are notorious for. I can eat my exercise calories back, but it seems to be very personal on who can and who can't. You don't have a lot to lose, so I hope you're sticking with .5-1lb losses. Anything more than that would be too aggressive.
    If I could offer any advice it would be to ease up on the exercise (ease up, not stop) and focus on your calories eaten, not calories burned.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

no, I'm not being rude actually, read all the rest of the posts. I've said thank you to multiple people and some of which I haven't said thank you too because they are being rude, i know what to do now. So why bring it all up again? it's getting ridiculous. there was no need to say that. If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it at all :D

So what did I say that was so rude?
  • hrtchoco
    hrtchoco Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    A lot times a new work out routine make us retain water. DH didn't lose any weight in 2/3 weeks (logging everything, using a food scale), then he dropped 5lbs in a few days and has been dropping steady since. I'm not saying that's what is happening to you, but it does happen.

Here is one of the reasons I always use a food scale: I was making rice, on the package it says one serving=1/4 cup (46g, dry) , I weighted out 1 cup, it was like 230 g. So for those calorie dense food, we should be very careful. If you really don't feel like using it, simply only eat half of your exercise calories back and see. If that doesn't work, cut 100 more (ofc, give it some time in between).

Also, I would suggest adding some stength training to preserve your muscle (unless I missed it in your post).
  • bratterz_xoxo
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »

So what did I say that was so rude?

I wasn't aiming it at you? :/ what on earth?
  • bratterz_xoxo
    Options
    jaqcan wrote: »
    I took a look at your diary and profile. I'd have to guess you're probably over estimating on your calories burned. Which MFP and most machines are notorious for. I can eat my exercise calories back, but it seems to be very personal on who can and who can't. You don't have a lot to lose, so I hope you're sticking with .5-1lb losses. Anything more than that would be too aggressive.
    If I could offer any advice it would be to ease up on the exercise (ease up, not stop) and focus on your calories eaten, not calories burned.

It looks like I'll have to do that then! :) thanks for the advice! :)
This discussion has been closed.