Why Portion Control Doesn't Work

Options

Replies

• MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    30 years of portion control made my body. Yeah, I think I'll stick with that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

And a great body it is, if I may say so.
  • Heather032190
    Heather032190 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Bump for a later read.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Right or wrong, the first thing I noticed is the author is overweight?? Then I noticed she wants you to buy something at the end. IMO it's a scare tactic to get people to buy into her program. Portion control absolutely works for me. I'm not saying I don't have bad moments but for the most part with out portion control, I wouldn't have lost 107 lbs.

^totally this
  • wtref
    wtref Posts: 3
    Options
    You've lost 32 lbs doing what you're doing. It is working for you. Don't let some article on the web change your program. Keep it up!
  • Jusjerzy
    Jusjerzy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    "is a certified holistic health counselor and founder of a program designed for plus-sized women who are fed up with dieting and want support to stop obsessing about food and weight".

Translation........"I'm Lazy"
  • Samiamy2k
    Samiamy2k Posts: 50
    Options
    Personally I thought it was a load of crap. I'd have been far more open to the information if she had simply said, "If portioning isn't working for you, try this". Why can't they both be successful strategies you can pick based on your personal profile? She sealed the deal when she says, "As I wrote in my book". She's selling books. The only way your success matters is if you encourage someone else to buy her book. Weight loss and a healthy lifestyle are not for *kitten*. It's hard work with life or death outcomes in enough cases one can't call it rare. Now, if her method works, fine. Aside from her intuition however, good, solid empirical research coupled with extensive anecdotal evidence shows that both keeping an accurate food journal and consistent portion control DO work. This lady isn't as concerned about being healthy as she is being "reasonable" and as such will continue to make excuses, mostly to herself, as to why she's not losing weight. One either commits to this type of program and succeeds in becoming healthier, or doesn't fully commit and continues to refuse owning her issues. This is why I hate self-help gurus.
    Samiamy2k
    I read the following article, "Why Portion Control Doesn't Work and What to Do Instead," and it left me with mixed feelings. Was wondering what the MFP world would have to say about it...

http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2012/08/13/why-portion-control-doesnt-work-and-what-to-do-instead/
  • jadams1650
    jadams1650 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Tens of millions of people are overweight and unwilling to do anything about it. She writes books and gives speeches dedicated to the concept that this is a valid life decision. Not sure I agree with her conclusion but she sure has targeted a big audience for her products.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    "is a certified holistic health counselor and founder of a program designed for plus-sized women who are fed up with dieting and want support to stop obsessing about food and weight".

Translation........"I'm Lazy"

Not necessarily. People can be understandably frustrated. But it's a cheesy blog that is selling a point of view that hasn't helped the author lose weight. You guys are all here. Whether you consider yourself fat or fit, you aren't ready to give up on your goals.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Any article trying to sell me something immediately loses all credibility.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Right or wrong, the first thing I noticed is the author is overweight?? Then I noticed she wants you to buy something at the end.

Welcome to most "research" anymore.

That articles is marketing and nothing more.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Portion control works when one understands what portion control actually is...this author does not appear to understand the meaning of portion control.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    So, I think her methods might work for a small percentage of overweight people and/or many people who are at/near goal and have been controlling their portions for a long time, know what/how much to eat to maintain their weight and health, and are ready to move forward with that knowledge and give up tracking every bite, or for people who haven't historically had a problem with overeating and are just looking to drop a couple of pounds and improve their body composition. But, it's not going to work for a large number of people who need to lose a significant amount of weight.

^This response resonates with me, but even being close to my goal I was able to let binging take control of me and 'just another bite' or 'I haven't had this to eat for AGES' took me over and I gained 5lbs within the past month.

I read the occasional Body Love Wellness post, but ones that are more specifically geared toward LOVING YOURSELF. There's nothing wrong with being whatever body size/shape you want to be as long as you are prepared to deal with the ramifications of your choice. Whether that be to lose weight and log consistently or stay the same and have to tackle the mental and physical side of that too. I am kind of sad to see it was all a plug for her program, though.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I don't see myself ever giving up portion control. That's how people who succeed in losing weight start gaining it again. Call me obsessed, but no one can say that I can't manage my weight and get a healthy amount of exercise.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Portion control works so poorly. I mean, just look at how badly I've been doing! :noway: V
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Hilarious link, 2 thumbs up. Couldn't even read the text because of the pictures and "intuitive eating" coach. Laughing too hard for work.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    This right here is my favorite part of the "article"...
    This week only, I’m offering my Heal From Emotional Eating Home Study Program for only $47.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Portion control has worked for me since 1987... back then we didn't have the info we have now and that was before the world of low fat and low carb, so that's all I knew to do. Portion control and MOVE. The old fashioned way! lol
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Practice portion control as best you can. It gets easier as you go. Keep looking for healthy recipes and snacks to replace the old bad ones. Eventually you will find a lot of ways to eat healthy and they will overcome those old bad habits. Build new habits by changing gradually over time.
  • bearsfan67
    bearsfan67 Posts: 57
    Options
    Portion control and serving size is really making a difference for me!! Exercise thrown into the mix is another thing that is making a difference!!!!!