Form Check - Deadlift

Options
skeo
skeo Posts: 471 Member
Hello,
Please review my deadlift form. I've been working back up from an injury 3 months ago, I've replayed this a few times, trying to find where I can tweak and fix, (maybe my back position on the pull?) but need another set of eyes to help critique. Thanks for your time.

https://youtu.be/xqlf_9tQ1xI

Replies

• XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I really like your form! You look awesome to me. Question, did you hurt yourself deadlifting before? I ask because you perform your reps pretty quickly and with that sometimes comes "losing tightness" on the way down and on subsequent pulls. So that would be the only suggestion I have. Return to bottom, reset, get tight, get breath and then pull.
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    The only thing I would suggest is to not bounce the weight off the floor- this creates momentum which obviously helps to get the weight off the floor for the next rep. If you look closely at your form, the first rep is by far the best. Your back is flat, your hips are engaged and you drive the weight up through your heels. With each other rep, your hips are not nearly as engaged and your back begins to round somewhat. This is primarily due to the "dive bomb" approach to lowering the weight.

To fix this, you can do a "touch and go" approach, where you lower the bar in a controlled manner, and once it makes contact with the floor, begin your next rep. Another approach is to do a full stop- lower the weight to the floor, then reset your grip, feet, etc. This approach is more difficult because it's more taxing, but the main advantage is that it ensures that each rep is performed properly and safely.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Stop bouncing the weight off the floor. You're meant to lift the weight from a dead stop... hence the term deadlift.
  • skeo
    Options
    I felt the bounce was an issue, and yeah I do feel like I lose tightness with each rep. I will definitely work on that, thanks for the input!

and Xavier, I did not injure myself doing the deadlift, it was a bench rep max that I caused some injury with my elbow/shoulder so I had to deload on a lot of the major lifts and PT with lighter weight, and cable resistance.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    skeo wrote: »
    I felt the bounce was an issue, and yeah I do feel like I lose tightness with each rep. I will definitely work on that, thanks for the input!

and Xavier, I did not injure myself doing the deadlift, it was a bench rep max that I caused some injury with my elbow/shoulder so I had to deload on a lot of the major lifts and PT with lighter weight, and cable resistance.

Okay, glad you are on the mend and getting back in the heavy stuff. Just like @Mayor_West said, first rep, art, but after that it gets less artful. ;) Slow down and reset.
  • skeo
    Options
    thanks! Hoping to get back to two plates before the year is out. Also just wanted to throw it out there, I did these at midnight on Saturday, so the weight banging was just between me and the front desk personnel, lol. I try not to DL during peak hours, since I know "dropping the weight" may bother most. It's not intentional, I promise.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Just echoing what others have said, I wouldn't touch and go. Lift, lower, reset and pull. First rep was great, spot on form. The remaining reps your hips were higher and it didn't appear your form was as tight.
  • skeo
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Just echoing what others have said, I wouldn't touch and go. Lift, lower, reset and pull. First rep was great, spot on form. The remaining reps your hips were higher and it didn't appear your form was as tight.

I appreciate all of the feedback, I just did a review with a clear ruler over the screen to see where my hips were starting and it's pretty eye opening to see where I started and how my hip continued to get higher and higher, ultimately resulting in losing tightness in my back and "rounding" causing a bit of discomfort.

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    skeo wrote: »

I appreciate all of the feedback, I just did a review with a clear ruler over the screen to see where my hips were starting and it's pretty eye opening to see where I started and how my hip continued to get higher and higher, ultimately resulting in losing tightness in my back and "rounding" causing a bit of discomfort.

Only reason I noticed is I had the same problem. So I gave you the same advice I got from people that have been DL'ing for years. Not only did I thank them, my lower back sent them beer and flowers. lol