Still unsure of how many Calories too burn a day to lose 2 pounds a week

Options
michelleselmon
michelleselmon Posts: 90 Member
edited August 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I am a Female I weight 225 pounds and my height is 5'3 MFP has me at 1440 calories for the day My BMR 1821.75- 2118 Different web sites say different BMR's And my TDEE 3190 CALORIES/DAY I am eating anywhere from 1440 to 1700 calories a day but i usually eat my exercise calories back because i am so hungry I need to know how much too burn so i can lose 2 pounds a week I'm not sure i am doing enough to lose weight i walk to Leslie Sansone's 3 mile walks a day and i also do jumping jacks and other walk at home videos Some of my friends have been telling me i need to burn off more than the 1400-1700 i am eating so i am so Confused
any help or suggestions will help me at this point thanks so much

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You don't have to burn any additional calories to lose two pounds a week.

If MFP gives you a goal of 1,440 (and you set your goal to two pounds a week), then that has a calorie deficit built in that should result in weight loss. You can eat your exercise calories back, just be aware that sometimes calorie burns on MFP are inflated so many of us only eat back 25-75% of exercise calories.

Your friends who are telling you that you need to burn more may not be familiar with how MFP works.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to your friends, a lot of people don't understand how a calorie deficit works.

It takes a 1000 calorie/day deficit to lose 2lbs a week. If your TDEE is 3190/day, to lose 2lbs a week you'd need to eat around 2190/day. That number would INCLUDE the exercise calories you eat back.

Or if you just set MFP up accurately, you should be good to go already. Select your activity level not including your exercise (so probably sedentary or lightly active unless you have a very physical job), set your goal to 2 lbs/week, and log your exercise and eat back those calories. Basically with this method you just do exactly what MFP tells you to. It works for most people.
  • michelleselmon
    Options

If MFP gives you a goal of 1,440 (and you set your goal to two pounds a week), then that has a calorie deficit built in that should result in weight loss. You can eat your exercise calories back, just be aware that sometimes calorie burns on MFP are inflated so many of us only eat back 25-75% of exercise calories.

Your friends who are telling you that you need to burn more may not be familiar with how MFP works.

ok thank you so much I thought MFP calories was the right amount to eat i've also been reading i need to burn off more than im eating though is that correct?
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    You do need to burn off more than what you're eating to lose weight, but don't get confused by thinking that means you need to burn that amount off through exercise. The calories that your body burns naturally throughout the day is included, and you will naturally burn more than 1440-1700 a day without extra exercise (your TDEE is how much you burn on an average day).

To lose 2lbs a week you need to eat 1000 calories less than what you're burning each day. Just eat what MFP has given you and eat back some of your exercise calories.
  • michelleselmon
    Options
    LaurenAOK wrote: »
    Don't listen to your friends, a lot of people don't understand how a calorie deficit works.

It takes a 1000 calorie/day deficit to lose 2lbs a week. If your TDEE is 3190/day, to lose 2lbs a week you'd need to eat around 2190/day. That number would INCLUDE the exercise calories you eat back.

Or if you just set MFP up accurately, you should be good to go already. Select your activity level not including your exercise (so probably sedentary or lightly active unless you have a very physical job), set your goal to 2 lbs/week, and log your exercise and eat back those calories. Basically with this method you just do exactly what MFP tells you to. It works for most people.

So is eating at MFP 1440 calories too low? I have the goal weight set at 2 pounds a week also I eat Lots of Chicken Fish vegetables water but I do think i need a food scale because my chicken says its 4 ounces each piece but the sizes vary thanks so much for all your help :) I have also been working out to Leslie Sansone's walking 3 mile videos and also jumping jacks and i am going to start jump roping Thanks again
  • michelleselmon
    Options
    You do need to burn off more than what you're eating to lose weight, but don't get confused by thinking that means you need to burn that amount off through exercise. The calories that your body burns naturally throughout the day is included, and you will naturally burn more than 1440-1700 a day without extra exercise (your TDEE is how much you burn on an average day).

To lose 2lbs a week you need to eat 1000 calories less than what you're burning each day. Just eat what MFP has given you and eat back some of your exercise calories.

Thanks so much You all just got me back on the right track I will eat what MFP has given me :)
  • janejellyroll
    edited August 2015
    Options

ok thank you so much I thought MFP calories was the right amount to eat i've also been reading i need to burn off more than im eating though is that correct?

MFP gives you a goal that has a deficit built in. You do NOT need to burn off additional calories -- although you can if you want to, exercise is great for your mind and body. But your body needs calories to function even while you're losing weight, so if you choose to exercise, MFP has you eat those calories back so you don't create a HUGE deficit. Keep in mind that your body burns calories all day long, even when you're sleeping. So you don't need to use exercise to burn more than you eat -- you can consider the calories you use all day long, even when sleeping, driving, watching TV, or working.

Why wouldn't you want a huge deficit? Well, losing weight too quickly will target your muscle mass instead of your fat. You'll probably lose more weight, but you'll be losing lots of muscle. This will make you much less happy with your body when you reach your goal. Losing weight too quickly can also result in health complications and things like low energy and hair loss. Also, if your net calories go too low, it can make you more likely to binge or go off plan.

So you can feel confident following the MFP goal and eating back exercise calories so your NET calorie consumption is at your goal. If you're eating back your exercise calories and not losing weight, try only eating back 25-75% of them (because sometimes calorie burns are over-inflated in the MFP database).
  • michelleselmon
    Options

MFP gives you a goal that has a deficit built in. You do NOT need to burn off additional calories -- although you can if you want to, exercise is great for your mind and body. But your body needs calories to function even while you're losing weight, so if you choose to exercise, MFP has you eat those calories back so you don't create a HUGE deficit. Keep in mind that your body burns calories all day long, even when you're sleeping. So you don't need to use exercise to burn more than you eat -- you can consider the calories you use all day long, even when sleeping, driving, watching TV, or working.

Why wouldn't you want a huge deficit? Well, losing weight too quickly will target your muscle mass instead of your fat. You'll probably lose more weight, but you'll be losing lots of muscle. This will make you much less happy with your body when you reach your goal. Losing weight too quickly can also result in health complications and things like low energy and hair loss. Also, if your net calories go too low, it can make you more likely to binge or go off plan.

So you can feel confident following the MFP goal and eating back exercise calories so your NET calorie consumption is at your goal. If you're eating back your exercise calories and not losing weight, try only eating back 25-75% of them (because sometimes calorie burns are over-inflated in the MFP database).

I do eat the calories back some of them anyways because i am really hungry but i went over last night and ate a Subway foot-long Sandwich and i exercised and went to bed because i felt bad for going over and i also walked to a 3 mile Leslie Sansone's video I normally do have extra calories left over though and i try to keep 200 because i dont want to eat all my calories back but thanks so much for all your help I am going to stick to the 1400 MFP has me at
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I do eat the calories back some of them anyways because i am really hungry but i went over last night and ate a Subway foot-long Sandwich and i exercised and went to bed because i felt bad for going over and i also walked to a 3 mile Leslie Sansone's video I normally do have extra calories left over though and i try to keep 200 because i dont want to eat all my calories back but thanks so much for all your help I am going to stick to the 1400 MFP has me at

Good luck! And don't get too hung up on one day going over. Most of us lose weight over a long period of time. When I was losing weight, I had some days when I went over my goal -- it's going to happen. The important thing is the long-term trend of having a deficit, which you will do when you meet your calorie goal the majority of the time.
  • michelleselmon
    Options

Good luck! And don't get too hung up on one day going over. Most of us lose weight over a long period of time. When I was losing weight, I had some days when I went over my goal -- it's going to happen. The important thing is the long-term trend of having a deficit, which you will do when you meet your calorie goal the majority of the time.

thank you so much for the help :)