Struggling to eat all my calories.

Options
KimmyBee
KimmyBee Posts: 158 Member
edited August 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey all. Thanks for reading.

I had an illness about a month ago and lost my appetite to the point where just looking at food made me feel ill. I have since recovered; but my appetite has not! although I can now eat, it's more a case of forcing myself for health sake rather than I feel hungry.

I have spread my food over 6 meals a day to help but I'm still struggling to eat it all. I log all my food in the morning to plan it all out but at night time I have probably only ate 2/3 of what I have down in my diary. I just feel too full. I want to be healthy with a good balance of nutrients, and also avoid hitting the dreaded plateau (which I think I have hit anyway)

I go to the gym whenever I can afford it but don't log my exercise because the thought of having to eat back my exercise calories disturbs me.

I'm avoiding processed foods and buy mostly raw ingredients to prepare at home, I'm not a big meat eater and will only take it occasionally but I enjoy fish, I'm also avoiding bread/pasta as they bloat me and I only take potatoes rarely, I'm trying to eat calorie dense foods to help the situation like avocados, nuts and nut butters.

Does anyone have any ideas to help? Or tell me where I'm going wrong? Previous to the illness I would have had a really good appetite and would have the exact opposite problem as I have now,

Plus any suggestions more more low mass, high calorie but healthy foods would really be appreciated.

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You should see a doctor about the lack of appetite.

If you cannot hit your calorie goal, drink some juice. It's healthy, high-calorie and won't make you feel stuffed. You can even mix it with water and sip it like you might sip water, so it's just part of your daily fluid intake.

Juice won't give you fiber or a wide variety of nutrients, but it's an easy and healthy way to get your calories in! :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I'd talk to your doctor about this. It may simply take time to get used to eating normal portions again, but your doctor should be made aware of this lingering symptom. If it's going to be a chronic problem there are appetite enhancers that can be prescribed.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I agree that checking with your doctor is a good idea. In the meantime, can you drink more calories? Fruit juice, smoothies, milk, shakes, or things like Ensure might help you at least get the calories and vitamins in.

You might find some ideas here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Yes, sounds like an issue for a doctor.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Yes, see your doctor.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I have a very similar struggle. For me, when I have had good days, it is usually because I didn't skip breakfast (which I almost always want to do) and when I have some cooked lentils on hand. Usually when I make lentils, I make enough to last me a few days. I mostly eat them mixed with some kind of hummus. A serving size is only 47 grams, which is 170 calories! Two months ago I'd have said, "I don't like lentils!" but after giving them another try, I've come to like them quite a lot. (Next, I'm going to try that same thing with beans, of which I've also never been a fan.)
  • KimmyBee
    KimmyBee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, I'll look into drinking a few more smoothies and milkshakes and juices. I actually enjoy them I don't know why I didn't think about the before.

Dianne thanks for the list. Very helpful.

And regards to everyone's suggestion to see the doctor, thanks. It's very difficult with my work schedule and budget. Plus I'm scared of being the fool and going in for a stupid reason. But I'll certainly consider it, I'll try and get in next week after payday. Didn't realise small appetite would be such an issue as to need the gp :| then again, I'm usually the kind of person who won't go in unless I'm dying,

mb6sdbk1davv.jpg
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Dramatic changes in appetite can be a sign of something more serious. Might not be, but I would get it checked out.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Better to go in and find it's nothing and feel like a fool then not go in and it be serious and you end up in the hospital.

You might try eating nuts. Pretty calorie dense for a small amount, they make good snacks. You could always add a single can of soda or a couple of cookies if you're at the end of your day and are too short for the day. That's what I end up doing sometimes. Smoothies are also good, or even go get a milkshake. Seriously, if you're eating healthy and getting all your nutrition and still not getting the calories you need, an empty calorie snack is perfectly fine to do.

As for not logging your exercise, you're shorting yourself even more when you don't. If you're burning off an extra 200-300 calories from exercise, you're coming up even more short on your daily calories, and that can be damaging in the long run. I understand why it would feel daunting right now, but it's data you need to factor in to what you're eating for the day.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    KimmyBee wrote: »
    Thanks all, I'll look into drinking a few more smoothies and milkshakes and juices. I actually enjoy them I don't know why I didn't think about the before.

Dianne thanks for the list. Very helpful.

And regards to everyone's suggestion to see the doctor, thanks. It's very difficult with my work schedule and budget. Plus I'm scared of being the fool and going in for a stupid reason. But I'll certainly consider it, I'll try and get in next week after payday. Didn't realise small appetite would be such an issue as to need the gp :| then again, I'm usually the kind of person who won't go in unless I'm dying,

mb6sdbk1davv.jpg
    The last thing I said before I passed out and they called the ambulance was, "I'm fine." As I was losing consciousness, I heard someone say, "No she's not!" and a hand on my arm, but I couldn't protest that I was fine because I was on my way out. I wanted to, though, lol. I got some teasing over that, for sure. :)

Garrison Keillor wrote about people like us. After a car crash, the person is too injured to speak, but reaches their arm out of the wreckage and scrawls a bloody, "OK" in the dirt by side of the road.

I get it. You don't want to make a fuss or whatever.

The smart thing to do, though, is to get yourself evaluated by someone who knows what they're talking about, not take your health advice from strangers online. When you don't take care of yourself, you just make the problems bigger and end up having a bunch of people watch you pass out and call an ambulance and that is much worse than a visit to the doctor's office. Fwiw. :)
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    My appetite is shockingly bad. I find that Intermitent Fasting helps because once I start eating during a certain "window/time period" it gets the ball rolling and I can fit all my calories/macros in and feel satisfied until I next eat. Watching food/cooking channels or eating challenges on Youtube is also a good way of firing up your appetite. On MFP there is a thread where people post pictures of their food which always starts to make me hungry too.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Got peanut butter?