Flopped!

Options
I work different shifts all the time. Since starting to eat healthy and watch my diet I've been on late shifts. Today I was on my first early and I got straight out of bed and went to work without breakfast.. I've been craving food all day and now I'm finally home I'm binging!!
Am I allowed one cheat day a week or will that erase all of the effort I put in for the other six days ?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you eat up the calories that you didn't eat on other days (i.e., eat an amount equivalent to the calories you ate below maintenance) then it will erase your effort. I'm not sure how many calories you've cut but obviously the more you eat on a cheat day, the more likely you'll erase the deficit.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    You are a grown up and "allowed" whatever you want. The question is, can you live with the results? If you eat back all the deficit calories from the past 6 days, you will stay at the same weight. If you are ok with that, go for it. Maybe a better option is to go slightly above your normal deficit...let's say 200 over. Then you only have to make up 200 calories over the next few days, which is probably a lot easier to face.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    The only person you hurt by going over your calorie goals is you, and all that will do is hinder your weight loss a bit. Don't use the term "cheat" day; it implies that you're doing something "wrong" or "against the rules". You make your own rules. If you've had a bad day, be sure to log everything then go back to plan tomorrow.

I don't like the idea of a cheat day at all, not only because of the negative connotation but because if you aren't tracking that one day, you can erase much of the deficit you spent the rest of the week creating. If you allow yourself small treats as you want them, but fit them into your goals, you should never feel the need for a "cheat". Now, special occasions like holidays, birthdays, etc. are just that: special. Eat what you want, account for the extra calories however you like: save up during the week by eating a little less each day, exercise more or just write it off and move on.

On a day like today, be mindful of what triggered the binge and take steps to mitigate it happening again. Be sure to log what you're eating, even if it isn't pretty, and get back on track tomorrow.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Don't think if you're allowed it or not. It's happened. Log it (even if you have to guess at what you've already eaten) and move on. Use the experience to learn how to prevent it next time. Good luck!