Need help with FIBER

Options
lthur714
lthur714 Posts: 105 Member
Can you help me figure out what kinds of foods that are good that have a lot of fiber? On MFP, I seem to be getting everything I need for my minerals, etc., but gathering from my trips in the bathroom, I could use more fiber. Without having to resort to fiber pills, what do the folk in the community do about this important dietary item?

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Veggies
    fruits
    beans
    nuts
    whole grains

Non-starchy vegetables are likely going to be the least calorie-dense option for increasing fiber intake.
  • MTDDS18
    MTDDS18 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I start the day with a smoothie that typically has a green blend (kale, spinach, chard), almond milk, and whatever fruits I have in my fridge/freezer. I typically get 15g of fiber from this.

Below is my smoothie from this morning, it gave me 293 calories and 15 grams of fiber. It's a great start to the day

Fresh - Kiwi Fruit, Weighed With Skin, 5.67 ounce
    Earthbound Farm - Organic Power Greens, 3 oz
    Blueberries - Raw, 5 oz(s)
    Strawberries, raw, 7.25 oz(s)
    Almond Milk - bluediamond, 1 cup
  • truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Read your nutrition labels. Anything over 5 grams is considered to be "high fiber". I use La Bandarita extreme high fiber soft taco sized tortillas instead of bread (9 grams of fiber), or Thomas' light whole grain english muffins (8 grams). Beans are also a high fiber food, but have other bodily effects, if you catch my drift. Lol. I used take a daily dose of Metamucil (5 extra grams of fiber) in the fruit punch flavor, mixed in ice cold water, was tolerable. I generally shoot for at least 25 grams of fiber a day.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Beans, leafy greens, broccoli.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Breans, peas, lentils, high fiber cereals and breads, some whole grains, fruits and vegetables (to varying degrees). nuts and seeds (also to varying degrees).

I eat a high fiber diet and 2 of my go-to sources are Kellogg's Bran Buds Cereal (only okaa as a cereal IMO, but great in yogurt or on ice cream) and Fiber Gourmet pasta (ultra high fiber, half the calories). I eat pasta several times a week now as part of my weight loss plan. B)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies, whole grain breads, some breakfast cereals. If you eat a good amount of fruits and veggies, you'll get your fiber as well as many lovely vitamins and minerals. :)
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I've added chia seeds to my diet. It has protein and 5g of fiber per tablespoon. It makes my yogurt snack or breakfast like oatmeal last longer.
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have been snacking throughout the day on fiber one honey clusters that has 10g of fiber along with chia seeds in my morning smoothie. I also have one salad a day. I have always had major constipation issues and this has really helped me.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Veggies, fruit and beans I think are my main sources of fiber. And then some muesli, carbs like rice, potatoes, wholewheat pasta etc. of course. I tend to hit around 35+ grams.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Great tips plus drink a lot of water! Too much fiber without enough water is a recipe for constipation!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Vegetables, fruit, beans, whole grains.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options
    You mention "trips to the bathroom" as an indicator of too little fiber. If you're food logging in MFP, have you checked your fiber consumption? You can do that in the "Reports" tab of the web version - "fiber" is one of the items in the drop-down list.

I ask because I had been having major trouble with constipation (some years back) and was told to take fiber pills. Initially, I didn't realize that this was probably absurd advice to a vegetarian (lots of beans, veg, etc.).

I found, instead, that I needed more water - *much* more water - and more exercise. If you're worried about drinking more water because of more frequent bathroom breaks, work your way up gradually and try to wait just a bit longer to go (not to pain point!); your body is likely to adapt.

Note that you can also be constipated because of endocrine problems (such as hypothyroidism) or not eating enough calories (i.e., eating below a healthy deficit).

BTW, if logging, you can change your diary display to show fiber as one of the columns if you like, replacing one you're less interested in. In the web version of MFP, this is in the "Home" tab, "Settings" sub-tab, "Diary Settings" topic, then change one of the drop-downs in the "Nutrients Tracked" area.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I take two fiber gummies in the morning 5g each and then eat fruits and veggies for the rest.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Beans, whole grains, avocado, berries, fruits and veggies more generally.

There are two kinds of fiber, and the differences/source of each can get a little confusing, so here's a good source with some recommendations: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/fiber/
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm still confused about how much fiber I'm eating is affecting my poop, honestly, lol! It seems to be completely unrelated in my case, but I still try to reach my goal because it keeps me fuller...

Oatmeal, whole grain bread/pasta, Quest bars, Fiber One stuff, beans, fruit and veggies.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    People already gave you great suggestions regarding fiber so I won't repeat them. However, it might not be a lack of fiber. Not having enough fat in your diet can cause the same problem.

I was having issues, despite the fact that on most days I got the recommended fiber. When I started eating more fat, things got much much easier.

I can't see your food diary, but your should at least consider whether lack of fat could be part of the problem.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I have a serving of fiber one original cereal every morning, 60 calories, half my fiber goal. Bam! I get the rest from beans, veggies, and " light" breads ( which seem to always have more fiber and protien than normal bread) and the occasional quest bar.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Oh, also drink plenty of water and eat some fat, along with the fiber.
  • lthur714
    lthur714 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Wow....everyone...thanks so much for all these great suggestions! I will consider every one of them!
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Beans, greens, fruit, whole grains...pretty much anything that your doctor would tell you that you need to eat more of is rich in fiber.

That said, have you looked at your fat intake? Fat acts like the lubricant of the digestive system. Without it, everything really just kind of starts to scrape along. I, for one, know that I have a much easier time in the bathroom the next morning when I eat bacon the day before as compared to just a whole bunch of plain vegetables.

Also, if you're interested in a fiber supplements, I wouldn't recommend Metamucil. Metamucil is psyllium based, which is tough on your colon. It pretty much just absorbs all of the water in your colon to "flush" everything out, which works in the mean time, but your colon can get lazy and begin to depend on it to initiate bowel movements, which wouldn't be fun at all. Not to mention, the "relief" that it brings can be kind of jarring. I recommend acacia fiber instead. It's slower-acting and is much more gentle. I know that from personal experience, I really prefer the acacia over psyllium.