Importance of protein "timing" (after workouts, etc)?

Options
I am a supporter of long term trends. When looking at my "stats" I like to look at week long blocks (or even longer). I eat a LOT of protein and I feel like it has helped me maintain and even enhance my lean muscle mass (I lift more weight now than when I started losing (65+).

But I am repeatedly told I need to focus my protein intake when it can more fully be absorbed by muscles after exersion. I've been told this by people I actually respect the opinions of. Now, I do take some protein after workouts. I just take a LOT of protein at other times too. If a lot of it is just reverting to carbs anyways I'll save the money (and kidney workload).

TIA!

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Whatever benefit there is to timing probably isn't worth the time and effort to well over 99% of the population.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Basically no importance.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Whatever benefit there is to timing probably isn't worth the time and effort to well over 99% of the population.

This
  • Coolhandkid
    Coolhandkid Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm no pro athlete but I did play some college ball and I would like to get back to my athletic beginnings in the end. I'm closing in on 40 so I'm not going pro anytime soon. But I'd like to feed my muscles as much as possible.
  • edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You should have a daily target for protein and split it up throughout the day, so that it is continuously available for your body. Timing would be more relevant for carbs. Your muscle glycogen is depleted after a workout and muscles will soak up carbs like a sponge. I just have a simple dextrose/whey mixture during and after my workouts. I also have a casein shake just before bed. The rest of the day, I try to get in my daily protein goal whenever I can.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Daily amount more important, so dont fret.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    galbracj wrote: »
    II just take a LOT of protein at other times too. If a lot of it is just reverting to carbs anyways I'll save the money (and kidney workload).

How much do you average per day?
  • Coolhandkid
    Coolhandkid Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    galbracj wrote: »
    II just take a LOT of protein at other times too. If a lot of it is just reverting to carbs anyways I'll save the money (and kidney workload).

How much do you average per day?

~200g (ish). I'm also 6'6" and 300lb.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I go for 220. I'm 6'9" and, well, 220.

I don't lift fasted, but that's the extent to which I care about timing.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options

Yep.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Its not how or when you eat your protein. Its the rest period that actually builds the muscle. Assuming you're not downing all protein just before bed your body should have absorbed anything you ate throughout the day and will now utilize it properly.