High protein/no carb main dishes needed

Options
let’s try this again, hopefully i don’t break any rules.

The subject says it all. I’m in need of some recipes. I’m perfectly content with eating nothing but plain chicken breast from now on, but my husband (who is not on any sort of diet) is not. I’d really prefer to make 1 dinner that he’ll enjoy and i can eat, as opposed to 2 separate meals. I’m probably asking something very simple, but I’m a terrible cook, and for me to attempt to create a recipe on my own would only result in failure. I can easily enough add sides that will complete his meal and satisfy him, it’s the main protein portion that we will both be eating where I’m needing help.

any recipes, links, or book suggestions are welcome, so long as they are easy enough for someone like me to make. thanks in advance.

Replies

• musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    What I like to do in my home (I have a very fit husband with 3 hungry hungry children lol) is make the same protein a million different ways:

Take chicken breast (boneless, skinless) and cut into cubes, sauteed with chopped onions, garlic, spices and top over rice with veggies for the family and paired with just veggies for you

I like to throw a bunch of veggies and potatoes in a roasting pan with chicken breast and bake until everything is tender, take out my portion and add a sauce/gravy for the family like this:
    chicken breast, chopped onion, red potatoes (chopped or whole, your choice), celery, peppers, carrots and any other bakeable veggie I have
    once its cooked thoroughly, I take out my part and then top theirs with a mushroom gravy (out the can) and top over rice or served like that with biscuits
    I make a LOT of pasta in my house, it usually consists of a healthy version of pasta (protein enriched, lower carb, veggie pasta etc) with chicken breast, spinach/kale, with a low sodium enriched sauce...if I'm avoiding carbs, I just eat the chicken and spinach/kale and serve the rest to my family

try allrecipes dot com, they have great ideas

(i hope this helped a little)
  • darkestdayz
    darkestdayz Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Try here.
    http://genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html

This site has some amazing low/no carb recipes.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Protein with no carbs will be in any form of meat, fish or chicken. Cheese and eggs are your other main sources.

Grilled salmon.
    Turkey legs.
    Steak.

Add veg and potatoes for your husband.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    allrecipes is great, also you can find stuff on pinterest.

Any type of lean meat is a good protein choice, red meats have more protein than lighter meats (chicken, Turkey, etc). Look for marinated recipes, or different spice rubs which can get you different flavors so you're not eating the same boring thing every night (for your hubby). I know I used to do stir fry with a variety of veggies and taco seasoning to season my ground turkey or beef.

DreamFields make a low carb pasta that is outta this world! It's all we eat in my house.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    You can always make a whole meal, sides and all, and just take what works for you instead of making multiple meals.

I generally like having shredded rainbow salad pan fried with steak using the juices from the veggies and steak to cook everything so I don't add any extra fats and only a dash of salt and pepper.

So really you don't have to make two meals as long as what you make can be used in the two ways you need it, one meal for you with some added sides for your husband.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    steaks_on_grill1.jpg
  • JRChadwick
    JRChadwick Posts: 52
    Options
    If you are looking for low carbohydrate high protein meals, lean meats and vegetables are a good solution, but avoid vegetables such as potatoes, yams, carrots, beets, and soy beans as they contain a lot of starches.
  • phonepest
    phonepest Posts: 43
    Options
    You might also try thewordaccordingtoeggface.com. Yes, she had gastric bypass, but really she just has some amazing recipes since RNYers have to be relatively low carb. She must have been a chef in another life! Protein Ice cream anyone?????
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    We do a lot of grilling this time of year which is perfect for accommodating different people and keeping it healthy. We do a lot of chicken breasts and fish, but if he prefers steak or hamburgers then i usually just pick myself up a chicken breast. With a potato or sweet corn or side salad it is a nice meal. We grill a lot of veggies on the grill too!

Everything is better grilled!! Yum
  • Soozie1978
    Soozie1978 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Quick and easy chicken recipe:

In a skillet dump 3 Tablespoons each of the following:

Mustard (I like grainy course mustard but it is also good with dijon)
    Lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
    Olive Oil

Stir and add 4 chicken breasts or equivelent breast tenders. Cover over Med/LO heat for 30 minutes. Uncover the last 10 minutes or so to thicken sauce. May be served over rice/pasta/potatoes if desired. I usually used a wild rice blend.

This was a staple for busy nights with children ranging from preschool to college and involved with many different activities. All liked it and it didn't take a lot of hands on prep time.
  • katygirl66
    katygirl66 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    let’s try this again, hopefully i don’t break any rules.

The subject says it all. I’m in need of some recipes. I’m perfectly content with eating nothing but plain chicken breast from now on, but my husband (who is not on any sort of diet) is not. I’d really prefer to make 1 dinner that he’ll enjoy and i can eat, as opposed to 2 separate meals. I’m probably asking something very simple, but I’m a terrible cook, and for me to attempt to create a recipe on my own would only result in failure. I can easily enough add sides that will complete his meal and satisfy him, it’s the main protein portion that we will both be eating where I’m needing help.

any recipes, links, or book suggestions are welcome, so long as they are easy enough for someone like me to make. thanks in advance.

Try making some omelettes, and what ever protien you make, just add sides for the hubby. I did a diet like this, and there truly are lots of reciries online, but even something as simple as a rotissiere chicken with veggies can be deilicious! Good Luck!
  • Melissa11412
    Melissa11412 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I just made this a few days ago and i'm eating it all week.....tastes very good and is high protein/low carb (you can have rice on the side for those that want it)

Crockpot Jambalaya

1 lb. boneless/skinless chicken cut up
    12 oz. lowfat smoked sausage
    1 onion chopped up
    1 lg. bell pepper chopped up
    1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
    1/2 t. cayenne pepper
    1t. chicken boullion
    2t. dried parsley
    2t. dried oregano
    2T. cajun seasoning salt (or regular if that's what you have)
    1T. garlic powder
    1T. onion powder

throw it all in crockpot low for 7 hours, last 30 minutes add 1lb. uncooked shrimp
  • sunryse00
    sunryse00 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    A good site is http://peaceloveandlowcarb.blogspot.com/ and you can check out my low carb board on Pinterest, it's got some of my favorite recipes http://pinterest.com/sunryse00/low-carb-recipes/

"No carb" is almost impossible, you can do it but it's hard to stick to over the long run and eating low carb is a lifestyle change not a quick fix. That being said here are some of my favorite low carb recipes.

Chicken Alfredo
    Steam a head of cauliflower and some broccoli. Add some diced cooked chicken, (I use the following recipe making a big batch of chicken to freeze for recipes, salads and as a quick meat for dinner. http://therecipecrayonbox.blogspot.com/2012/03/perfect-chicken.html)
    Pour a jar of Alfredo sauce over the chicken, cauliflower and broccoli. Make sure to check the labels on the Alfredo sauce for one with lower carbs.

Crustless Pizza (Meatzza) (I tell my family it's pizza casserole and serve garlic bread on the side for them)
    1lb pizza sausage, browned. Add 4 oz. cream cheese and stir until cheese is melted. Pat into a 9x9 casserole dish so the bottom of dish is completely covered. Spread 1 jar of pizza sauce over meat crust. Top with favorite pizza toppings, I like black olives and mushrooms. Lastly cover with mozzarella cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes until cheese is melted and starting to lightly brown.

And scalloped cauliflower and ham, (I leave out the mustard)
    http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/original-cauliflower-mac-and-cheese-casserole